Divinity: Original Sin

Blarghagh

Not sure if this was brought up during the previous (long) thread, but apparently some people have had problems with the new DLC> (I would be one of those.) A player has to start over to get the new content--not good--and then the DLC activation has been unreliable. So I restarted the game, covered the same areas, only to find no new companions. :facepalm:

At this point I'm going to shelve it for a while until they get the kinks worked out because I want to play with those two additions. :banghead:

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

They sent me two D:OS T-shirts instead of one of each design. :( Odd too, well over a month between the first one and the second one being delivered.

Physical rewards seem to be something a lot of kickstarters have trouble getting right. MAy have to do with it being something so removed from the jobs they have experience with. They don't consider at first just how much effort can go into packaging and sending hundreds of parcels around the world :)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

How are people liking the weapon durability/repair system in this game? I remember there was a group of determined posters rallying against it in PoE. But in D:OS I think it adds a nice touch of verisimilitude (because it requires you to carry and use multiple weapons), and the time requirement seems pretty minor.

They could have scrapped it. I repaired my own stuff, but it didn't really feel like there was any meaning to it. A weapon never broke during combat.

I've had a weapon break in the middle of combat, and had to change my tactical approach as a result.

They could have scrapped it. I repaired my own stuff, but it didn't really feel like there was any meaning to it. A weapon never broke during combat.

I've had a weapon break in the middle of combat, and had to change my tactical approach as a result.

It can most definitely happen. I just made sure to not let my gear get dangerously close to breaking. 

I did really love D:OS for a while. Going around Cyseal, talking to everyone, picking everything, messing around with everything was really neat. The generic lighthearted and demi-humorous tone was also quite nice. Visuals are beautiful, too. It really felt like playing Ultima VII/VIII, it felt "old-school". Non scaled mobs and the open world added to the immersion and feeling of "credibility" the game world has. The story was being banal but still enjoyable.

Then I got to act 2, and suddenly I completely lost all interest in the game, to the point of uninstalling it (which is very odd for me, I usually would fine any excuse to complete a game, even one I don't like that much). No interesting plot developments there, no interesting NPCs, not as great visuals (more "generic", less attention for details and eyecandy put into it), and fights that started to become trite, always more-or-less following the same sequence of spells/skills.

The game just lost its entertaining value to me, and I wouldn't be so annoyed by this if said value hadn't been so high during ch.1. A real shame

• Like 1

I’m selling these fine leather jackets.

Then I got to act 2, and suddenly I completely lost all interest in the game, to the point of uninstalling it

Pretty much what happened to me though I still completed act 2 and most of act 3.

D:OS has a few strong sides and I still think that it's worth playing (even if you stop after Cyseal). But it has so many problems that combined they totally outweigh the pros towards the end. Characters and conversations are cliché and the main storyline is more or less a rehash of NWN2. (And NWN2 had incredibly weak story. They could copypaste the story from almost any other RPG and it'd be better.) Fights become too easy too soon. Inventory is a chore. Loot is mostly generic random items.

I could make it a long post listing everything that annoyed me (screen shaking in too many places for too many reasons, flashy oversaturated colors, that stupid rock-paper-scissors minigame, etc). But let's just say that the biggest issue was "why the hell should I care if nobody else cares?" By nobody I mean the NPCs. It's evident even in Cyseal. The town is besieged by undead and orcs but most of its inhabitants think it's business as usual and plan to live like that forever. Well, they probably know what's good for them.

It's the weary apathy of the game world that ultimately snuffs every spark of player's curiosity and fun.

Edited by prodigydancer

How are people liking the weapon durability/repair system in this game? I remember there was a group of determined posters rallying against it in PoE. But in D:OS I think it adds a nice touch of verisimilitude (because it requires you to carry and use multiple weapons)

What are you talking about? Weapon degradation in D:OS is a pointless gimmick - Because breakage doesn't actually mean anything.

I have a character with the 'glass cannon' feat using daggers. She gets like 9-10 attacks per turn so her dagger will occasionally 'break' in the middle of combat. Yeah. So what? Breakage doesn't mean destroyed. It means you have to spend 4 action points (or less) repairing it. And that's all. Often times you can do that right in the middle of your turn then go immediately back to attacking your opponent with it.

Edited by Stun

How are people liking the weapon durability/repair system in this game? I remember there was a group of determined posters rallying against it in PoE. But in D:OS I think it adds a nice touch of verisimilitude (because it requires you to carry and use multiple weapons), and the time requirement seems pretty minor.

Pointless and sometimes tedious. It was just 'remember to go in the menu and repair your weapon after each fight.' It got more annoying if a character didn't have points in Blacksmithing, because you'd be forced to transfer the weapon to someone who had for repair and then back again to equip it.

• 1 year later...

I tested the local co-op a while on our TV and it worked surprisingly well. The control scheme for controllers is well thought out.

In the end we went back to playing it on PC since it was a bit hard to get a good overview on things in combat on the TV. Things felt a bit small when sitting that far away from the screen. That being said, if you only have the option of playing it on a big screen with controllers it's totally doable. I just prefer keyboard + mouse for this type of game.