2 rings, an amulet and a cloak!

Marceror

Is point to also make cloaks and amulets less powerful or rise maximum total power level of items that characters can carry? 

I've already explained the point of the thread as clearly as possible.

I'll leave the balancing to OE.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Is point to also make cloaks and amulets less powerful or rise maximum total power level of items that characters can carry? 

don't be rational when somebody is demanding stuff be more like previous games... with the only apparent reason seeming to be that such is how things were done in previous games. you take away such appeals and near 1/2 of the threads/posts on this board would disappear.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we want an option for a devil's haircut

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

don't be rational when somebody is demanding stuff be more like previous games... with the only apparent reason seeming to be that such is how things were done in previous games. you take away such appeals and near 1/2 of the threads/posts on this board would disappear.

HA! Good Fun!

Right. Clearly I've lost my mind because I want 2 rings, an amulet and a cloak. Watch out. I just might snap!

• Like 1

HA! Good Fun!

Right. Clearly I've lost my mind because I want 2 rings, an amulet and a cloak. Watch out. I just might snap!

well now, aren't we sensitive? elerond asked for a reason for the change. your reason is, in point o' fact, nothing more than that such has been how you has seen this feature applied in previous crpgs. am not mischaracterizing and we didn't accuse you o' having lost your faculties. nevertheless...

*shrug*

am not believing any further explanation is required. is nothing wrong with wanting stuff to be familiar for no other reason than that such is familiar, but am thinking elerond deserved a better response than you provided. disagree? that is also fine. nevertheless, am amused that you would object to Gromnir's response, all things considered.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Not so sensitive really. I was laughing as I typed my post. Just thought if Elerond was the rational one, I guess that would make me a raving lunatic.

It's funny. At least I think so.

Hey, maybe I really have cracked! :blink:

Not so sensitive really. I was laughing as I typed my post. Just thought if Elerond was the rational one, I guess that would make me a raving lunatic.

*sigh*

elerond were/is the rational one. that were our point. to him we said, "don't be rational when somebody is demanding stuff be more like previous games... with the only apparent reason seeming to be that such is how things were done in previous games." 

am knowing our posting style can confuse, but this doesn't appear to be a case where we were obscure.

HA! Good Fun!

*sigh*

elerond were/is the rational one. that were our point. to him we said, "don't be rational when somebody is demanding stuff be more like previous games... with the only apparent reason seeming to be that such is how things were done in previous games." 

am knowing our posting style can confuse, but this doesn't appear to be a case where we were obscure.

HA! Good Fun!

I got that you were calling him the rational one, evidenced by the fact that I said "if Elerond's the rational one, I guess that makes me the lunatic." (slight paraphrase)

I followed you just fine. Not sure why you are thinking otherwise.

*sigh*

HA! Good Fun!

I got that you were calling him the rational one, evidenced by the fact that I said "if Elerond's the rational one, I guess that makes me the lunatic." (slight paraphrase)

I followed you just fine. Not sure why you are thinking otherwise.

is a weird conversation. 

quote:

I was laughing as I typed my post. Just thought if Elerond was the rational one, I guess that would make me a raving lunatic.

Hey, maybe I really have cracked!

am not understanding the "if Elerond was the rational one, I guess that would make me a raving lunatic" bit. particularly as you see the inferred contrast (again, we didn't call you a lunatic) as funny. you got yourself a very simple syllogism working, but is as if you don't recognize what you were doing or saying.

*shrug*

doesn't matter. we both agree that Gromnir called elerond rational and you provided no reason for your request beyond our observation that "somebody (you) is demanding stuff be more like previous games... with the only apparent reason seeming to be that such is how things were done in previous games."  we already stated that lack o' a reason doesn't make you crazy. there is no cause for further confusion. 

is just... weird.

HA! Good Fun!

I have a slightly twisted sense of humor. Don't overthink it.

Elerond was asking me the point of this thread. The point is very simple, and I reiterated it to him. Then he started asking me if the point was something other than what I stated (something about balancing, if I recall), and I went ahead and reminded him that I had already explained the point. If I say the point is x, and someone asks if the point is y, I find that odd. No, the point is x, just as I stated.

Also, he never asked me why I wanted this change. He asked me the point of the thread, which is a different question. So I didn't see any reason to answer a question that hadn't been asked.

If we're asking why I want this, yes, a big part of it is the fact that this configuration is deeply ingrained in me (and many other fans, I take it) over many dozens of RPGs that I've played over the years. Also, I happen to find an inventory slot that swaps cloaks and amulets as rather bizarre and illogical. Just give us one of each. There's room in the UI for it, so why not let us have both. Take away something weird and illogical and replace it with something logical, that adds to the customizability of our characters? Seems like an obvious change to me.

Also, I'm not "demanding" anything in this thread, so please stop putting words in my mouth. I'm simply making my preference known. I never stated Obsidian needs to make the change (i.e. a demand). This is a subtle, but rather important difference.

Edited by Marceror
  • Like 2

Elerond was asking me the point of this thread. The point is very simple, and I reiterated it to him. Then he started asking me if the point was something other than what I stated (something about balancing, if I recall), and I went ahead and reminded him that I had already explained the point. If I say the point is x, and someone asks if the point is y, I find that odd. No, the point is x, just as I stated.

I asked point of thread because you don't actually give any rational point for it in whole thread, closest one that I find is that you feel that two rings, an amulet and a cloak is something that all other crpgs do (which is not true), which is why asked is reason behind this thread actually that you want more magic items and then I made additional question to remind people that adding more magic items for characters influences games balance and tried to inquire what kind balance changes people would prefer if characters in PoE would get more item slots.

I also would point out that any of my questions, excluding one which I asked you specify that you want more item slots for the characters, weren't directed to you but anybody that reads this topic especially for those that seem to think that it is something that PoE should include. For me whole point in this thread is item balance that seems to be different from what it was in IE games and so people are asking Obsidian to change PoE's item balance to be similar than what it was in IE games, which is why it is important that people tell do they feel that amulets and cloaks are underpowered or overpowered in PoE, so that Obsidian can adjust item balance to right direction.

I don't actually care one way or another, which is why I would recommend Obsidian to take easiest and fastest road and focus on other aspects of the game.

• Like 2

The attribute system, while undergoing some work, is a little light on character customization. More gear slots usually* means more customization of the character. People like gear. A good percentage of the enjoyment of these games is the item hunt. More empty slots, more reason to continue hunting for items and more motivation to explore more content. 

• Like 1

The attribute system, while undergoing some work, is a little light on character customization. More gear slots usually* means more customization of the character. People like gear. A good percentage of the enjoyment of these games is the item hunt. More empty slots, more reason to continue hunting for items and more motivation to explore more content.

That is true only partially.

As in case of PoE such slot would not bring additional items that character could wear, but instead it will remove need to choose between good cloak and amulet. It would also mean that characters could two such items that are designed with mind set that characters will only wield one of them at the time, meaning that amulet-cloak combinations would become much more effective in the game than what they currently are or they get balance nerf meaning that player has to wear both amulet and cloak to get same effects that they currently get, meaning singular items become less meaning full or that every item in the game will be nerfed so that balance between items will be on same level as it is now, but also meaning that items in game will have less effect on characters overall performance.

I asked point of thread because you don't actually give any rational point for it in whole thread

There's a saying among jazz lovers... "if I have to explain [jazz music] to you, you won't understand." This thread was never meant to be expository, an essay, or even an argument for a particular viewpoint. It's simply an acknowledgment of a great, tried and true, RPG formula for character equipment. If you don't get it, that's fine, but in that case I'm really not talking to you.

closest one that I find is that you feel that two rings, an amulet and a cloak is something that all other crpgs do (which is not true)

I most certainly never said that "all other crpgs" do this. Further, as I explained to Gromnir, you never asked for my reason for wanting this. You asked the point of the thread. If you wanted to know former, than that's what you should have asked. I went ahead and answered the question you actually asked.

which is why asked is reason behind this thread actually that you want more magic items and then I made additional question to remind people that adding more magic items for characters influences games balance and tried to inquire what kind balance changes people would prefer if characters in PoE would get more item slots.

I also would point out that any of my questions, excluding one which I asked you specify that you want more item slots for the characters, weren't directed to you but anybody that reads this topic especially for those that seem to think that it is something that PoE should include. For me whole point in this thread is item balance that seems to be different from what it was in IE games and so people are asking Obsidian to change PoE's item balance to be similar than what it was in IE games, which is why it is important that people tell do they feel that amulets and cloaks are underpowered or overpowered in PoE, so that Obsidian can adjust item balance to right direction.

You can't convince me that PoE couldn't be balanced to accommodate an amulet and a cloak at the same time. OE is not made up of incompetent baboons. I'm betting they could balance just about anything. If the game is currently balanced for only one of those items, that's not the result of some magical irreversible formula. But frankly, I'm not convinced that the game even is balanced in this regard yet. The game still has a long way to go, and fine balance between items I expect still requires plenty of tuning. And as long as that tuning still needs to be done, the game could be conceivably tuned using the configuration promoted in this thread.

I don't actually care one way or another, which is why I would recommend Obsidian to take easiest and fastest road and focus on other aspects of the game.

Easiest and fastest doesn't sound particularly inspired to me, but to each their own. And further, please understand that when I make a thread like this I'm not expecting Obsidian to throw off their entire production schedule for the sake of a suggestion. I'm just throwing my opinion out there because, well, that's what we do on message boards like this. I'm happy to see plenty of other forumites who agree with me, even if OE never acknowledges this post in the slightest (which is exactly what I expect will happen).

• Like 1

closest one that I find is that you feel that two rings, an amulet and a cloak is something that all other crpgs do (which is not true)

I most certainly never said that "all other crpgs" do this. Further, as I explained to Gromnir, you never asked for my reason for wanting this. You asked the point of the thread. If you wanted to know former, than that's what you should have asked. I went ahead and answered the question you actually asked.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68606-2-rings-an-amulet-and-a-cloak/?do=findComment&comment=1511166

I would say that this is implies that every other CRPG do this in such degree that exceptions only verify the rule if my asking point of this thread don't mean that I ask why people want or not want thing that thread is made for. I know that your utterance was hyperbole, and so was mine, but I also would say that your hyperbole gives misconception about rpgs and crpgs, as I would say that majority of non-d&d crpgs don't use two rings, an amulet and a cloak item slot system as such. I would also say that you didn't answer to my question with any meaningful way, as I asked "Is this thread point that there should be one item slot more for characters in PoE?", which means that are people in this thread arguing that there should be more item slots in PoE or do you them want to change one existing item slots that aren't ones mentioned in the topic to those that are mentioned in the topic or do people want to remove armor, arms and boots item slots and only to have those item slots mentioned in the topic. Your answer "The point of the thread is that each party member should be able to equip 2 rings, an amulet and a cloak." to my question didn't give me any specifics on what you want which is why I asked my question again this time phrased differently so that it would rise more specific answer as it did. And then you started for some reason to insinuate that I have done something wrong and insult me.

@Elerond the word basically is key in post you linked. There is a difference between basically all and all. And yeah, there was some hyperbole in there for sure.

And then you started for some reason to insinuate that I have done something wrong and insult me.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I don't recall saying anything insulting about you, but please know that was never my intent.

Edited by Marceror

Eh, a cloak is just an amulet that has gotten too big for its britches and needs to be worn backwards.  :p

I had forgotten about this.

I guess I have no choice but to hereby retract this thread. :p

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68606-2-rings-an-amulet-and-a-cloak/?do=findComment&comment=1511166

I would say that this is implies that every other CRPG do this in such degree that exceptions only verify the rule if my asking point of this thread don't mean that I ask why people want or not want thing that thread is made for. I know that your utterance was hyperbole, and so was mine, but I also would say that your hyperbole gives misconception about rpgs and crpgs, as I would say that majority of non-d&d crpgs don't use two rings, an amulet and a cloak item slot system as such. I would also say that you didn't answer to my question with any meaningful way, as I asked "Is this thread point that there should be one item slot more for characters in PoE?", which means that are people in this thread arguing that there should be more item slots in PoE or do you them want to change one existing item slots that aren't ones mentioned in the topic to those that are mentioned in the topic or do people want to remove armor, arms and boots item slots and only to have those item slots mentioned in the topic. Your answer "The point of the thread is that each party member should be able to equip 2 rings, an amulet and a cloak." to my question didn't give me any specifics on what you want which is why I asked my question again this time phrased differently so that it would rise more specific answer as it did. And then you started for some reason to insinuate that I have done something wrong and insult me.

we did warn you.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/68606-2-rings-an-amulet-and-a-cloak/?p=1511260

am expecting you could see how things would progress, but sometimes you feel compelled to respond even so, no?

HA! Good Fun!

Yep. You totally called it Gromnir!

I mean there's Marceror over there, salivating over amulets and cloaks like a love starved nymphomaniac. And Elerond actually thinks he's going to have a conversation that's above the level of grunts and snarls with such a character? Preposterous!

• Like 1