Pathfinding messes up in close formations

Matt516

Question

Pathfinding seems improved, but still needs some work. A specific problem I've noticed is that due to the "no selection circles overlapping" change, characters moving in close formations will tend to get stuck running against each other (instead of going around each other).

To reproduce:

1. Start a game
  2. Create a very tight formation (close rectangle)
  3. Move party to a location with said formation
  4. Click directly behind the party (ordering them to turn the formation 180 degrees and move)
  5. Observe as party members sometimes get stuck on each other, running towards each other in a fruitless dance of futility
  6. If it doesn't happen, keep giving move orders with various rotations. Eventually you'll see it.

Expected behavior:

Party members who collide in movement should go around each other, both going to their left or both going to their right (instead of trying to move directly forward towards the other character).

Thanks for the new build! Looks like a lot has been fixed! Keep it up! :)

• Like 1

12 answers to this question

I've played the beta for over three hours, mostly in combat and exploring, and I can say this pathfinding issue is a major thing. The rings around characters/npcs/enemies don't shuffle away appropriately when you give an order to a specific character, so must stuff in the game becomes blocked or only available after major move-arounds of the party or the poor enemies.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

PoEt is missing the displacement mechanic from the IE games where a character can push an allied character out of its path to get to its destination.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

PoEt is missing the displacement mechanic from the IE games where a character can push an allied character out of its path to get to its destination.

Which is probably a good thing because I can already see the problem with "pushing" people aside while they are in Engaged, thereby provoking Disengagement attacks of opportunity. :)

"Could" be a thing for "out of combat" situations I guess, but in combat, could lead to horrible..horrible things.

I think the characters should attempt (and be able to) to go through the selection circles, but only as a last pathfinding resource. That might fix the issue.

What was the problem of characters going through selection circles again? It was combat wasnt it?

Edited by Fiebras

I see my party getting stuck in combat too, as well as before I'm moving into a new zone, and still get my fresh recruited party members stuck in the inn. 

As for the new party member being stuck - I just started a new game and didn't save (because I know that used to mess things up in the last patch) then went straight for the inn and recruited a new level one, and on the way out he got stuck in the inn and wouldn't come out - and I couldn't go back in either.