More obvious XP notice

Headbomb

Question

I can't, for the life of me, doing remember anything that gave me XP. Maybe the quest rewards aren't implemented yet, but I feel that whenever you quest XP for doing something, it should be announced loud and clear. I'd post a list of steps to reproduce, but since I don't know any even where you get XP, I can't have such a list except a theoretical one

1) Do something that should give you XP

2) Notice that you aren't notified of it

Expected behaviour:

You should get some form of notice. My preferred option would be to use those "Quest Updated" scroll, and have something like

|-------------------|

|  Bob's Toothache  |

|    ~Completed~    |

|      1500 XP      |

|-------------------|

Accompanied with some appropriate sound / fanfare to celebrate and catch your attention.

13 answers to this question

Experience is awarded only through quest progression. At certain points during quests a "Quest Update" scroll pops up in the top left and any experience gained is shown in the Combat Log. 

You may have just missed it  :bow:

Experience is awarded only through quest progression. At certain points during quests a "Quest Update" scroll pops up in the top left and any experience gained is shown in the Combat Log. 

You may have just missed it  :bow:

I think it would make xp gain bit more intuitive if notice of xp gain would be shown in both logs, because xp gained especially in conversations is very easy to miss, when you have conversation log open, which is usually the case.

Edited by Elerond

If it's in the combat log, it's not really made obvious and super easy to miss then because I've never once seen it. Not really surprising giving there's only room for like 3 items in there on a good day, and nothing draws your attention to it. Putting it both in the scroll/medallion thing that pops up and the combat log would be better. I'll try to pay more attention, but I already was paying attention so... I'm sure i'm not the only one that missed the XP notices.

I just completed the blood legacy quest for the 4th time, and am pretty sure I received XP for the first time on the quest. It was clear that I completed the quest the last time, with a banner up in the upper left corner of the screen that I had not seen before.

I know I did not receive XP for the farmer's plight because because I specifically checked my XP progression before and after completing the quest, and it is not listed as closed even though I got the rewards.

perhaps it is not so much that it is not noticeable as it is not always awarding XP for quest completion?

I agree. I don't remember being awarded XP either. Moreso, i found out i had leveld up after 2 or 3 encounters where i was wondering wth were those white crosses on my characters portraits.

If it gets posted into the combat log then it went unnoticed. I already posted a topic on how combat log has so much stuff that nothing is noticeable. Maybe this is the case. 

A chime on level up would be nice too if it's not already in there.

This is a good idea and I believe we have suggested this in the past, but SFX in general is still being rolled out, so I expect it to be something added as we continue to polish the game.

Thanks for your feedback!

• Like 1

We are having an issue with Journal updates being lost after Save/Load which is preventing quest completion. This may be the cause of the confusion.

Are you seriously suggesting that quests are the ONLY way to get xp? I can't just go exploring and expect to get anything?

Or is this just for the beta so far?

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

We are having an issue with Journal updates being lost after Save/Load which is preventing quest completion. This may be the cause of the confusion.

Are you seriously suggesting that quests are the ONLY way to get xp? I can't just go exploring and expect to get anything?

Hello Namutree,

The party will gain experience by completion of quests and/or tasks only. Though, you will find some opportunities to gain experience even when exploring. Exploration has its own reward, as some of the most interesting items and equipment in the game are only discoverable when you are off the beaten path.

I hope this helps to clear up any confusion. Thank you all for your feedback and support during the beta!  :lol:

Yeah, this is exactly the way you gain XP, as NCarver noted.There are several threads in the backer beta discussion and I believe the general discussion forum dealing with... differing points of view on this.

Edited by Ink Blot