Simple Hotfix To Improve Game!? Dooit!

SSH83

Overall i like this so far.  I want to play more.  Bugs need to be fixed, but here are some things I feel can/should be addressed quickly for maximum benefit to the game.

Character Creation:

1) Don't zoom in on the low-poly character model.  Show concept art and portraits for each class and race or something.  Then when customizing the model detail, show the model in the size and angle that players will actually see in the game.

2) The 50 attribute points just make race choice feel less relevant.  Instead, start each stat at 11, then allow player to decrease to get points back as they want.  So there's no actual change in customization of stats, it's just a perception change.

Learning Curve for this Beta:

It's a wall.  Like...  10' steel wall... with booby traps.  Maybe you could start the backers in a small wilderness area with option to engage some simple fights, where they can at least see stamina, combat turn cycle, and controls in action.... before going to the town where normal level 5 content happens.

Basic System:

1) AoE radius for some spell is too big with Int bonus:

1. There should be a radius cap based on the max range of the spell.  So the caster isn't forced to get hit by his own spell if the spell radius is 15m, but the max range is only 10m.  LOL
  2. Tell player how far they can cast each spell.  See league of legend for one example.  Or if you don't want the range circle, then just make the targetting cursor turn red when it's too far away (signifying character will have to move to get in range)
  3. Maybe... just maybe... let player control how big or small their AoE will be?  You already did the hard part of making spell effects scale dynamically (pending bug fixes), so... it's just a small step to allow players to control the size.  That would be epic
2) I like Might, Con, and Int.  But the other 3 stats should have more interesting bonus:

• Dex should give movement speed or recharge speed.  Accuracy = RNG = lame tactics.  Missing with powers is lame.  Most powers should just always hit.  Don't force player to dump stats points just to minimize stupid RNG.
  • Perception should give innate DT penetration %.  Stupid free interrupt for auto-attack has no tactical value.  it's a boring/lame mechanic.
  • Resolve should give innate CC defense (so a counter to enemy's Int bonus).  Concentration buff is redundant since when you're a caster, you DON'T want to get hit anyways even if you have concentration... 

3) Bad default keybinding for Double Speed and Slow-mode.  S and D key?  Seriously?  The normal speed takes a little getting used to but after a few hours, I can dig it.  Though you guys really need to fix that stupid issue where characters randomly stop doing what I told them to do and just stand there doing nothing until i make them move and re-assign command (is it interrupt that led to confused AI?  dumb RNG interrupt mechanic is dumb.  auto-attack-based RNG mechanics is why i quit many games).  

4) More stats information will be nice.  For wizard, spell description should tell me numbers to help me decide, so i don't helplessly end up picking wrong spells when creating character or leveling.  Also it'd be nice if i can see what dual-wielding did to my damage when i dual-wield. lol

Story and Quest Design (*** POTENTIAL SPOILER.  duh? ***):

1) The vessel thing is interesting.  But even though i have the weapon and filled vessel... urn did not fricking work (even though it's glowing).  FIX THIS QUICK!  This is like the main content of backer beta right? 

2) I'm pretty sure I know where the girl is... and i didn't feel like running errand for gossip girl.  So I attacked the guys at the tower and managed to beat them.  But... NO KEY?  WTF????   LAMMEEEEE.  

Killing the obviously shady bad guy should be allowed as a valid solution to the quest.  Don't force me to role-play a 18 INT, 18 Resolve character who for some reason can't figure it out and have to do all those random stuff to stumble upon the truth... zzz...

Environment Art:

It's gorgeous. Just fricking amazing.  10/10.  

Problem is that it's easy for characters to "blend in" to the background.  I never liked the approach of de-saturating background to make foreground standout.  It's lazy and ugly.  There are other ways... like giving characters more active idle/combat animation.  Human eyes are very good at identifying objects via motion. 

Spell VFX:

Needs more clarity!!  It doesn't have to be super fancy.  sometimes function > form.  Some of the status effects in BG2 were fugly (sometimes weird, like paralyzed characters change color) but they got the job done.  I clearly knew who was paralyzed.

Edited by SSH83
  • Like 9

IIRC they specifically lowered the minimum stats for the backer beta to let us play with it more.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

All sounds good except point 1 on character creation - I like the zoomed in model like it is.

We've mentioned before about the adjustable AOE size between min and max - it's a great idea to not penalise you for pumping INT

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

2) I'm pretty sure I know where the girl is... and i didn't feel like running errand for gossip girl.  So I attacked the guys at the tower and managed to beat them.  But... NO KEY?  WTF????   LAMMEEEEE.  

Killing the obviously shady bad guy should be allowed as a valid solution to the quest.  Don't force me to role-play a 18 INT, 18 Resolve character who for some reason can't figure it out and have to do all those random stuff to stumble upon the truth... zzz...

Stuff like this is really important I think. It'd be a huuuuge waste of potential in my opinion if players are forced into running around, following story arcs with plenty of plot-locked doors without the abilitity to "short-cut" them somehow or solve them in different ways. Really hope that's not the case with this game.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

You can shorcut this part ( the tower one )

*SPOILER*

Use the alt mode in the first room of the tower, and look at the dye ;)

*SPOILER*

For the rest I pretty agree with everything especially the AOE, too bad my really intellectual spell caster hit himself with some spell :/ that sound not very smart.

This is actualy done pretty well I think. My thoughts were exactly the same as yours the first time I killed them. ***Spoiler*** But the Key is hidden in the room, which makes a lot of sense to me! Just scout the room and you will find it. You can even open the door before attacking the shady guys.

Great post @SSH83 I agree with all your points 100%!!

I would suggest giving one a slider option for the spell AoE, that goes between max and min.  One can then place it as one wishes.  Should have a remember function, so that it "remembers" the last adjustment given (so one doesn't have to adjust it from "norm" every time).

You know the weapon vessel thing is a bug everyone is seeing right?  It is a beta, quests will be bugged.

Also try paying attention, when you walk in the room the tanner is complaining at his assistant for losing something?  Maybe it was the key? Maybe you should, I don't know, try searching the room?

The game is obtuse because that is what the backers wanted, that is what the IE games were if you didn't know D&D before you booted them.  I agree about the AOE things and character stat point.... the rest not so much.