The game crashes as soon as a try to open it...

Xelief

Question

24 answers to this question

It's probably the same Unity problem I had. The only method I've found to work is a clean wipe and install of the OS / new windows partition. Probably the least desirable fix, but it's the only one I'm aware of!

Some people have had luck going into the Fonts section of their control panel, going into font settings and restoring defaults there. Didn't work for me, though.

• Like 1

It's probably the same Unity problem I had. The only method I've found to work is a clean wipe and install of the OS / new windows partition. Probably the least desirable fix, but it's the only one I'm aware of!

Some people have had luck going into the Fonts section of their control panel, going into font settings and restoring defaults there. Didn't work for me, though.

Sadly, restoring the fonts settings to default did nothing for me as well. I really don't want to have to re-install my OS, so hopefully this is something that's fixed before the official launch. I can live without taking part in the beta at least... 

So, did you do what that dialog window said and send the crash report to the devs?

This comes straight from Update #84 under known issues: "If you find any issues, please report them on the Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Bug forum. Please do not contact Support for bugs or technical issues - use the indicated forum."

So, did you do what that dialog window said and send the crash report to the devs?

This comes straight from Update #84 under known issues: "If you find any issues, please report them on the Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Bug forum. Please do not contact Support for bugs or technical issues - use the indicated forum."

Yeah... so why not attach that crash report here, thereby effectively sending it to the devs? :)

Yeah... so why not attach that crash report here, thereby effectively sending it to the devs? :)

I misunderstood. I interpreted your comment as saying I should post this somewhere else. When the game crashed, it created a number of different files. crash.dmp, error.log, output_log.txt and report.ini. Of these, I was only able to upload output_log.txt. I don't know if the devs are going to want the other files or not. 

output_log.txt

Edited by Xelief

I went back and forth with Unity devs on their community site and the consensus seems to be that there's some driver or program that is tripping the games up. It's not Unity itself because "empty" Unity projects run fine on the affected machines, and a clean install of Windows will make the programs work.

Unfortunately this is something you'll either have to figure out for yourselves or just cave and make a new partition. Buy a cheap >60 gig hard drive (shouldn't be too expensive), format it as a boot partition, put a copy of windows on it and install only those drivers and programs you need to play the games.

@Pop will it help if I install the beta on external drive, not internal laptop's HDD? Cause I'm not going to re-install Windows and everything else just to play this beta, sorry.

Besides I don't think we should "figure out ourselves" why the game is not running, do we? I don't want to find myself in a situation that I will be not able to play the game while released because my drivers don't get along with Unity. I expect it to be fixed by devs, obviously.

Sorry for the harsh tone, but I quite don't appreciate to be forced to tinker with my Windows install to fire up the game, really. I know it's early beta, that's why I'm willing to wait patiently to be fixed. I just got impression that this issue could not be handled because it's my (or my laptops) fault that the game won't run.

• Like 1

I don't like it any more than you do, that's just the way it is. One of the downsides (probably THE downside) of PC gaming is that there are so many variants in hardware products and driver packages and combinations of said that it can be very, very difficult to determine which link in the chain is messing things up. We are in that position now. Something is causing Unity games to straight-up fail to function, and it isn't anything obvious (drivers, directx, disk space, compatibility modes, antivirus and firewall restrictions, etc).

Ideally yes, the devs should be able to fix it, but if the dxdiag and Unity output files aren't pointing in a direction there's not much they can do from where they are. It is what it is. If you've got an external drive  you can pretty easily format it, put a second copy of windows on it (provided you have one), and dual-boot it. If that's too much work for the beta, consider that any other Unity game you might want to play will likely need the same treatment. I can't play Wasteland 2 or Gone Home or Shadowrun Returns anymore, they need to be booted through this special, barebones partition.

If that's still too much work, all you can really do is wait and hope the guys at Unity figure out something on their end, because if this problem is shared across different games from different developers, it's not a problem any one of them caused and probably isn't something any one of them can fix by themselves. The problem's coming from your computer.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think the beta's worth all that trouble, it's a labor of love more than a fun game to play at this point. But if this crap hasn't been fixed by the time PoE drops, I'd be prepared.

Edited by Pop

If you're just telling me now, that I will not be able to play PoE, Wasteland 2 (copy included while backing PoE) and further Tides of Numenera I will be seriously, I mean seriously pissed off. 

I just need to wait and seen how it goes, now I have all dark thoughts and need too cool down.

Instead of the full format and reinstall, do these two things (in no particular order):

1. TURN OFF any AV programs, uninstall (as completely as possible) and reinstall PoE. Then, run in Admin mode

2. Uninstall (as completely as possible, wiping all presets, etc.) your graphics drivers, and re-install the newest (or the second-newest ones, in case newest are buggy).

Edited by neo6874

I had this problem on 7 days to die and MMX some time back (both unity based games).

The problem was a corruped font file.

1) Go to C:\Windows\Fonts\

2) Find uncl.ttf

3) Delete it

More on it here

Edited by Lycana
  • Like 1

Both I and a friend had the font problem with several recent Unity engine games (among them Wasteland 2, Hearthstone, Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall, and Forced) before managing to find a solution.  In my case the offending font was UNCL.TTF, but when I went to the Windows font directory it wasn't even listed, and some of the font management programs I tried were also unable to detect/delete it.  The trick, it turns out, is to mark the directory as writable first.

1. Open a command prompt.

2. Run "attrib -r -s c:/Windows/Fonts" (or use your equivalent fonts directory)

3. Delete the offending font or move it to another directory.  If it's not UNCL.TTF for you, look in the log and dump files for clues.

4. Run "attrib +r +s c:/Windows/Fonts" to return the directory to its original settings.

• Like 1

I had this problem on 7 days to die and MMX some time back (both unity based games).

The problem was a corruped font file.

1) Go to C:\Windows\Fonts\

2) Find uncl.ttf

3) Delete it

More on it here

Nah, it's better to wipe the drive first and re-install Windows and other stuff before going for such drastic measures. ;)

• Like 1

UNCL.TTF was nowhere to be found in my font folder, even after marking the directory as writable. I wasn't able to find any clues by looking at the logs and dump files, but I don't really understand most of what I'm looking at... When I get back from work I may end up backing up all my fonts and restoring them until Unity crashes again as a user in this thread needed to do. I may not be home long enough to find the time to do that for the next few days, but I'll report back with how it goes. 

Edited by Xelief

Update - The corrupted font is the source of these Unity crashes. The problem is that for whatever reason, Microsoft is secretive about its existence. If you've looked for UNCL.tff and can't find it, it's because you don't have system files set to be visible. Despite being a loose file in the font folder that is not int the registry or apparently used by anything, it's marked as a Windows OS file and is thus removed from view both in the folder itself and from windows filesearches by default. After weeks of fruitless snooping, I ended up using an out of date program called Fix Font Folder that apparently has no regard for what Windows wants you to see, and it sniffed out the bastard thing.

So here's what you do - open up a folder window, press alt -> tools -> folder options -> view -> uncheck "hide protected operating system files", which is on by default (I keep it on because I like my desktop to be neat and the phantom .ini files annoy me). Search for UNCL.tff and it should show up. Delete it, voila, Unity works again.

Hopefully they update the engine at some point so it's no longer vitally tangled up in this junk font file, but for now this is the hotfix. Thanks, Microsoft!

Edited by Pop
  • Like 1

Windows 8 won't allow you to gain access to the fonts folder as described above but it's actually even easier;

Hit the start button and type "cmd" then right-click cmd.exe and run as administrator.

It should now show "C:\Windows\System32\"

Type "cd .." (without quotation marks)

Now type "cd fonts"

Now type "del UNCL.ttf"

Just worked for me :)

Crit happens

Pop sorry, but that didn't work for me too. I simply don't have this font on my hdd atm. I may have deleted it using the method Ainamacar  described, but can't confirm cause didn't see it either before or after I've done it. 

Nevertheless the game still crashes, so wither it's different font causing this or something else.