A bit soon for preordering the expansion pack?

I saw it under the addons section when I was confirming my pledge

Needless to say it's impossible to make that kind of decision now with no up front information

Also. . .

10 days from now I won't be able to edit my addons any longer

Were expansion(s) planned all along for Pillars?
My biggest worry is stuff that was suppose to be in the original game (finished content) is now being cut out on purpose

The expansion was added as a tier reward fairly early in the Kickstarter, yes.

By all accounts, PoE is going to be a fairly massive game in its own right. Obsidian has shared that it will have more maps than IWD2, and will approach the number included in Baldur's Gate. So it should be a big game.

There will also be two major cities, so imagine having Baldur's Gate and Athkatla in a single game, and all of the side quests and additional content that implies.

I'm choosing not to worry about this. Hopefully I'm in the right for that. But I really don't think Obsidian is purposely cutting content that should be in the base release for the expansion. I'm betting they have ideas for the expansion, but will wait to develop those ideas and the corresponding content until after the release of PoE.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I understand the concern, but if you think about it, where would you draw the line? The expansion? PoE II? Any other Obsidian game following this one?

If they wish to keep a reputation for quality, all the products shall be of merit enough to draw an appropriate amount of money from non-backers. I am confident that this shall be the case.

• Like 2

I saw it under the addons section when I was confirming my pledge

Needless to say it's impossible to make that kind of decision now with no up front information

Also. . .

10 days from now I won't be able to edit my addons any longer

Were expansion(s) planned all along for Pillars?

My biggest worry is stuff that was suppose to be in the original game (finished content) is now being cut out on purpose

What kind of information? And they have not started work on the expansion yet. 

• Like 1

Pretty much all been said, but I'll reiterate (and maybe illuminate further). The expansion was, indeed, included in some of the pledge tiers, so it was planned all along that there would be an expansion. None of the funds collected for PoE will be used for it. The funding for the expansion will be from profits from the sale of PoE (and possibly a kickstarter?) I wouldn't worry about them 'cutting content' specifically to save for the expansion. If you're going to start worrying about that, then you may as well worry about them cutting content for a sequel, for a companion game, etc.

I was mainly interested in knowing when it was first announced. . .

If it goes back to the original kickstarter then it's something I either forgot about or mearly overlooked

-

Any other info on the X-pack would be useful though as only announcing it probably won't be enough for some people (the way it's listed in the addon)
I found this thread after a little bit of digging, but haven't read through any of it yet:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64755-more-info-on-the-expansion-pack/

I was mainly interested in knowing when it was first announced. . .

If it goes back to the original kickstarter then it's something I either forgot about or mearly overlooked

-

Any other info on the X-pack would be useful though as only announcing it probably won't be enough for some people (the way it's listed in the addon)

I found this thread after a little bit of digging, but haven't read through any of it yet:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64755-more-info-on-the-expansion-pack/

There's no further info in that thread either.

*edit* The Expansion reward was included at the $165 tier and above during the Kickstarter campaign.

Edited by Ink Blot

I guess each person will have to decide whether they wish to double down or not

I'll edit the first post in the mean time with the info everyone shared

Edits: or perhaps not because there is no option for me to edit the OP?

Edited by MaximumSquid

Here is to the hope that the expansion will include multi-player options. Many a fond memory of lan parties from days gone by of Baldurs Gate and subsequent series.

Sorry to be contrary, but here's to hoping that the expansion doesn't include multiplayer. Nearly every game feels compelled to be multiplayer anymore. And it seems like either significant development time is spent on this (in lieu of other features) or the MP functionality sucks.

I have always applauded PE/PoE for being a focused single player game, and I hope it will remain as such. Vs. tacking something on at the end that may not be that good, and will result in less single player content.

• Like 1

Here is to the hope that the expansion will include multi-player options. Many a fond memory of lan parties from days gone by of Baldurs Gate and subsequent series.

Sorry to be contrary, but here's to hoping that the expansion doesn't include multiplayer. Nearly every game feels compelled to be multiplayer anymore. And it seems like either significant development time is spent on this (in lieu of other features) or the MP functionality sucks.

I have always applauded PE/PoE for being a focused single player game, and I hope it will remain as such. Vs. tacking something on at the end that may not be that good, and will result in less single player content.

Well of course the end result wouldn't be any good if they tack on something bad at the end. Multiplayer is not inherently bad though, it all depends on how it is implemented. For example, I was really surprised at hearing Mass Effect 3 would include a multiplayer mode, and wondered how it could possibly work, but in the end I ended up having lots of fun with it. I bet multiplayer could be a lot of fun in a Pillars game (but wouldn't guess they'd implement it as soon as the expansion), with a friend on skype and the slowdown instead of pause mechanic.

Well of course the end result wouldn't be any good if they tack on something bad at the end. Multiplayer is not inherently bad though, it all depends on how it is implemented. For example, I was really surprised at hearing Mass Effect 3 would include a multiplayer mode, and wondered how it could possibly work, but in the end I ended up having lots of fun with it. I bet multiplayer could be a lot of fun in a Pillars game (but wouldn't guess they'd implement it as soon as the expansion), with a friend on skype and the slowdown instead of pause mechanic.

I'm not saying that multiplayer is inherently bad. Just that the gaming world is inherently drowning in it already. The world needs more focused single player RPGs, IMHO, and I'm thrilled that PoE is poised to help fill a portion of that gap.

I do not understand why people are so hostile to multiplayer. It would affect literally nothing in the singleplayer game. It's a party-based game where you can create additional characters from scratch. It has everything Baldur's Gate would have, except the ability for an additional person playing the game.

DO NOTE that I'm not saying anything about whether multiplayer should be implemented, I'm merely pointing out that being opposed to multiplayer is just silly.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

It would affect singleplayer in that resources would have to be drawn away for multiplayer, which is something that very few players will use and of those that use it few would be disappointed with the game even if it were singleplayer only.

• Like 1

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

I'm not sure ME3's multiplayer is the best example to use as evidence that including multiplayer functionality won't affect single player.

I do not understand why people are so hostile to multiplayer. It would affect literally nothing in the singleplayer game. It's a party-based game where you can create additional characters from scratch. It has everything Baldur's Gate would have, except the ability for an additional person playing the game.

DO NOTE that I'm not saying anything about whether multiplayer should be implemented, I'm merely pointing out that being opposed to multiplayer is just silly.

Didn't I just get done saying that I didn't think multiplayer "wasn't" inherently bad?? Now suddenly I'm "hostile" toward it!?! I fully expect to be labeled a multiplayer serial killer at this rate, after I make this post.

The reality is that for multiplayer requires a nice chunk of cash to implement it well. For this particular game, I'll for that nice chunk of cash being used for improving the single player game. You might think there aren't trade offs, but there are. I personally would like to see PoE remain in that >1% of games that doesn't pursue multiplayer.

So yeah, tell me how I've just killed multiplayer's unborn child by deigning to make such a post! :grin:

Didn't I just get done saying that I didn't think multiplayer "wasn't" inherently bad?? Now suddenly I'm "hostile" toward it!?! I fully expect to be labeled a multiplayer serial killer at this rate, after I make this post.

Did I quote you ANYWHERE in my post? No. So calm down.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]