The Official Romance Thread

[sorry for the wall of text, guys!]

You know what comes to my mind when thinking about good romance in gaming?.. Don’t laugh though, but it’s Fallout 2. Although I can talk all day long how well F2 characters were written in general, there were few moments that could’ve lead to a full romance story IF it ever existed in the game. In particular, I’m talking about “the good, the bad & the ugly”: John Cassidy, Leslie Anne Bishop & Myron.

If you haven’t encountered it during your playthrough (*spoilers!*), here is a short summary:

- When playing as a female protagonist, and having both Myron and Cassidy in the party, Cassidy throws a line telling you to “stay away from Myron because he’s a bad guy” and that Cassidy doesn’t want to see you getting hurt (I don’t recall the exact quote, but it was something like that). My initial reaction was: “Well, that’s sweet. Thank you for caring!”. And I would see that as a perfect starting point for a romance arc.

- When playing as a male protagonist, you get a chance to spend a night with Mss. Bishop. If you have enough charisma (and don’t rush things through), you get to know her background. I believe this actually evolves in some sort of side quest as you can try convincing Leslie to run away with the Chosen One… Or you can keep it as a one-night thing with some “minor consequences” (“Congratulations, it’s a boy!”).

- Finally, Myron is the guy who can easily beat Zevran from DA:O when it comes to bad-ass romance. He’s a mean pervert believing any lady should be ecstatic to have him around (how old was he again?). And he is very vocal about his “sexuality”. Imaging how much fun would it be romancing a guy like that, always listening to his egocentric remarks and annoying jokes!  

Now, let me say that Fallout 2 was a perfectly fine game without any romance in it. I believe PoE will be as well. But it doesn’t mean romance couldn’t work with RPGs. It just has to evolve from a different perspective.

For example, instead of making it player’s initiative all the time, confession can come out from a party member in the least expected moment creating some awkward situations (“I thought we all going to die in this dungeon, so I’ve shouted: “I LOVE YOU!” out loud . So… yeah… how are we going to deal with that now that everyone is staring and I don’t even know if you like me in the first place?”). And there should be an option for player to reject NPC’s feelings (and vice versa, of course). Or, let’s say, a rogue character tricks you in bed, and in morning he/she acts like nothing’s ever happened. And EVERYONE in camp knows about it… :dancing:

So, although good writing is hard, it does not mean it cannot be done. It just has to be above kindergarten level:

Merril: “Oh no, I’ve killed all this people with my blood magic!”

Hawke: “Don’t be hard on yourself…- ”

Merril: “-..Ok, let’s have sex then! ^.^ ”.  :facepalm:

http://www.pcgamer.com/sex-and-bioware/

Here is a good read around Romance in Bioware games, it also discusses the importance of same sex relationships and why Bioware should continue to provide them. The article makes  loads of sense

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

http://www.pcgamer.com/sex-and-bioware/

Here is a good read around Romance in Bioware games, it also discusses the importance of same sex relationships and why Bioware should continue to provide them. The article makes loads of sense

I can understand the importance of having them but at the same time, u cant deny that if done wrong or bad its totally understandable for people NOT to want them. Its fine bioware is doing them and the whole same sex relatioships etc, but the importance of having them in a game can be ruined and/or seen as a problem or deemed not as important anymore if it done badly or forced upon u badly or etc.

Just having a romance option in a game does not automatically make it better and a story that doesnt have romance in it does not make it automatically bad.

I think u get that as i see ur point of view as in wanting it done alot so that eventually ull find better and more romance stories to interact with. Im sorta on that page when i go into rpgs "in a way" in that while i rather not have romance in a game unless done extremely well and totally bypassable without noticing romance was in the game, i want rpgs to have branching paths of c&c instead of always getting railroaded into a single story and my character doesnt matter. So if im somewhat right, i can understand the desire for romance just like i have a desire for all or most rpgs to have branching storypaths.

That sentence is mainly for the ones who are blinded that u CANT have a good story and deep interaction without romance being in the game and that being the crux of what its riding on. Just like i understand a game can have a mindblowing story without having to resort to multipath c&c options.

So while i see and will repeat the praise of bioware forwarding same sex scenarios in a media for younger people to be more tolerable to life choices, they lose that importance to someone as myself who is already tolerable and accepting of those decisions who may very well feel slighted that an "agenda" badly done ruined a what coulda been a great game. Not saying they have (well ok they have but it wasnt sole reason such as da2 as it helped, but me i think romance wasnt the reason but more of just overall bad writing) with dai as i havent played it yet, but....ill stop rambling i think u get what im saying lol.

And what would you suggest as an alternative to this "cause ---> effect" template that defines the RPG genre itself? A love meter, where the NPC's demeanor goes through incremental changes from neutrality to "I LOVE YOU" as the meter reaches 100 based on what the player does/says? Yeah, again DA:O did that. It's the only way to implement subtlety in a video game romance. It STILL fails. It fails because love is not a tangible thing that can be measured and attempts to conceptualize it with a meter just makes it feel gamey.

Nope. If that were true, then that would be the only way to do any relationship (faction rep, respect, hatred, etc.), and no inter-character emotions would ever not-fail. Romantic affection is just a different kind of character response, of which there are already oodles of others in most RPGs. You keep making rather silly "put the square peg in the round hole" analogies, but you're really acting like I'm trying to put a friggin quantum block into a physical hole or something. It's just another regular block, and if we can make holes that the other blocks fit into, then the same can be done with romantic relations.

BG2 did that with the Viconia romance. And the result is that it's probably the best one they ever did. But it still suffers from the "WTF! How did I get myself into this?" phenomenon because it's counter-intuitive. Someone who doesn't want to romance her will deliberately treat her like sh*t and the result is...romance!

That goes back to what I said before. The actual result should just be her reaction. If she likes that, she likes that. That is still something you should have to respond to, and not some "you picked the 'your character is totally romantically interested in her' options" situation. You did what you chose to do, for your own reasons, and she reacted according to her character. Then, you react to that. That's how it works.

No, that won't work. Obsidian did that in NWN2....and that game had the worst romances in the history of RPGs.

Just because someone did something and failed, doesn't mean that doing that thing leads to failure. I rode a bike and fell off, as a child. Doesn't mean that sitting on a bike and pedaling and balancing isn't the correct way to ride a bike, or that it's impossible to do it.

"Such and such did that and it sucked," is not proof that "that" is what sucks, and not the attempt itself.

Oh hey, I hear DA:I is attempting something like that. (you can romance one of your advisors or whatever) Yeah, do tell me how that goes in your game. Tons of people on BSN are already complaining about how dull and shallow such romances turned out to be. Which I assume would be an Obvious result, Since an RPG is about adventuring, and relegating your romance to 'weekend visitation' goes against that.

Same as above. Just because DA:I fails doesn't mean there's no way to do it right. An RPG is about reacting to a world that reacts to you. Whether it be in combat, in dialogue, in faction/NPC relations, party relations, what have you. It's about interaction and choice significance. Nothing more, nothing less. It often involves adventuring, but is not in any way restricted to that.

Empty words. PROVE IT. For the last YEAR that we've been having this discussion, you've given dozens of examples of what "could/should" be done, and every single one of those examples have already BEEN done and the results were always the same.... Failure.

Prove that it isn't.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Props to Bioware for including multiple sexualities in their "romances". It really does help young LGB people come to terms with their sexuality, because it's nice to see that you aren't the only one and that you aren't some freak and a fluke of "nature". They also managed to include a transman (I think) in the game and be cool about it, so that's awesome too. With that said, however, it's still really creepy and voyeuristic (mainly due to fan service). Not that I dislike fan service, though. If it was in a different context I would never pass an opportunity to see Josephine's body or Iron Bull's muscled physique. The fan service itself isn't that bad, but Bioware always write it in a "wink to the camera" kind of way and it's really weird. I can go on forever trying to explain why Bioware's "romances" don't work, but many people have said why before me so I won't act like an echo chamber ;d.

I don't think I can actually add anything worthwhile in this thread, since this topic has been done to death with everyone trying to find a solution to the "problem" of romances. I, however, can cite a decent example: Visas in KoToR 2 (props to Obsidian). It works mainly because you aren't actively trying to get in her pants or trying to choose the "right" dialogue options. She is the one who confesses her love to you, but not in a superficial "letz do eeet" kind of way (you never actually "do it" with her, either). She loves you because she sees a person who has suffered as much as she has, but also had the strength to continue on (like her). It's never actually made clear if that love is romantic and that's a bonus because there are many kinds of love outside of the romantic type.

I don't know what else to say, really. Everything that has been said so far is valid - that you can have "deep and interesting" (for a lack of better words) companions without romances (duh) and it's true that it's a crutch for Bioware, but I think the majority of people here will agree that Bioware fail at many different types of writing and not only the romantic type. I don't want to sound hate-filled towards Bioware, though, since I never expected anything worthwhile from them, even though they managed to not pass even my nonexistent expectations by ruining Varric (the only character I like). Aaaand I'm continuing to sound hate-filled ;d I am not though and I'm going to stop writing about it.

Anyway Visas... I'd like to hear you guys' opinions on her "romance" since I may have missed something that makes it not work. I'm sorry if she has been mentioned before, I just skimmed a couple of the last pages here.

Edited by Christliar

same sex relationships and why Bioware should continue to provide them. The article makes  loads of sense

Spiritual death that is. Id rather roleplay in a more jolly universe that is medieval inspired where this was not the case as in some totally rotten universe like where we live in in the modern world where we do have this.

But I am having a terribly difficult time reading that article because it makes me laugh hysterically  :grin: In fact, I just cant properly read it. Anyone care to do my dirty work for me and then sum up the loads of sense very shortly? I am really interested in where that loads of sense lies exactly.

Edited by Sheikh

same sex relationships and why Bioware should continue to provide them. The article makes loads of sense

We should give bioware props for putting out there mainstream nonstraight characters and relationships, even though the writing isnt good, we should applaud them for the act of doing so but not for the actual writing.

Thats summed up in one sentence for ya

Spiritual death that is. Id rather roleplay in a more jolly universe that is medieval inspired where this was not the case as in some totally rotten universe like where we live in in the modern world where we do have this.

But I am having a terribly difficult time reading that article because it makes me laugh hysterically :grin: In fact, I just cant properly read it. Anyone care to do my dirty work for me and then sum up the loads of sense very shortly? I am really interested in where that loads of sense lies exactly.

Edited by redneckdevil

So you guys just play bioware because you got nothing better to play? Thats what I have been thinking now for some time. I personally prefer to play nothing or other genres when theres nothing better to play..thats kind of why Ive been awaiting PoE so much since Ill get my hands on an RPG again after a long while.

Simply put, I play Bioware because it's fun to play. For what it's worth, I've paid more for PoE (well before it's even out) than I have for any Bioware game. So... maybe that puts things into perspective?

I honestly just feel it's a little ridiculous for people to collectively act as though Bioware can't just be sub-par. Like if they're not amazing, they're horrendous.

I'm currently having a ton of fun with DA:I, though. All without somehow wishing all games were exactly like DA:I, or thinking it has absolutely no flaws.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Romantic affection is just a different kind of character response, of which there are already oodles of others in most RPGs.

We're not discussing romantic affection. Romantic affection does not by itself constitute a video game romance any more than a handshake from an NPC constitutes friendship.

That goes back to what I said before. The actual result should just be her reaction. If she likes that, she likes that. That is still something you should have to respond to, and not some "you picked the 'your character is totally romantically interested in her' options" situation. You did what you chose to do, for your own reasons, and she reacted according to her character. Then, you react to that. That's how it works.

LOL that's silly. So you're telling me that this is all you rabid Promancers want? Simplistic shout-outs of approval from NPCs every time you do something that pleases them, until you've pleased them enough that they drag you to their bed? "Ooh! you saved that Kitten from a tree! And that's the 7th heroic thing you've said/done! I romantically approve of heros etc!"

Uh...Yeah Lephys, that's just about every bioware romance ever written. Tell me again how that's supposed to suddenly make romances better when it never has...EVER...?

Just because someone did something and failed, doesn't mean that doing that thing leads to failure.

Oh indeed. It means that doing that thing leads to success. Yep. Edited by Stun

We're not discussing romantic affection. Romantic affection does not by itself constitute a video game romance any more than a handshake from an NPC constitutes friendship.

... what? o_o

LOL that's silly. So you're telling me that this is all you rabid Promancers want? Simplistic shout-outs of approval from NPCs every time you do something that pleases them? "Ooh! you saved that Kitten from a tree, you're so heroic! I romantically approve of heros etc.!"

... double what? O_O. How did you get that from what I said?

If you hypothetically create an imaginary character with a personality, then that character would react to happenings and things around them. Lolz! What, you want EXP every time you complete a quest?! Lolz! What, you want simplistic faction gains every time you do something a faction likes?!

See, I can ask preposterous questions, too.

Oh indeed. It means that doing that thing leads to success. Yep.

Methinks you do not comprehend the difference between potential and an individual instance of attempt. If I try to hit a golf ball by swinging the club like a baseball bat, I'm going to hit the ball, but I may fail at golf. There's a better way to swing the club in order to accurately accomplish my goal, which is to put the ball in a specific place, and not just "make it go real far that way."

So, yes, just because someone tries to hit a golfball at a hole and fails, does not mean that a golfball cannot be accurately placed near a hole, via hitting.

Maybe stop pretending that isn't a simple concept? Or don't. *shrug*

If you hypothetically create an imaginary character with a personality, then that character would react to happenings and things around them.

There's nothing preposterous about that. Again, you're describing standard video game NPC structure. The problem with plugging romances into that template is that the reaction itself never seems to feel right or organic.

More to the point: It is not unusual to do a good deed for someone (or a few good deeds) and then they react by becoming your friend. But it DOES feel odd to do that same good deed(s) and suddenly they react by falling in love with you. You are operating under the false notion that "love" or "romance" is no different from any other kind of interpersonal bonding. But the fact of the matter is that it's TONS different. Especially in a video game. If a romance in a video game is to feel anything other than 'tacked on', it must advance past the superficial flirting and friendship level. There has to be much, much more.... More time to develop, more situations, more discussion, more emotion, more focus on the '1 + 1 = Us' theme, etc. And not even Bioware has the budget for all that. Nor can an RPG do all this and remain an RPG.

Otherwise, it's best that they save money and time and just implement decent casual sex that is based on implied physical attraction, like the Witcher games do, because at least those can succeed based on both human nature and logic. Not to mention eye-candy appeal <ahem>.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 1

So you guys just play bioware because you got nothing better to play? Thats what I have been thinking now for some time. I personally prefer to play nothing or other genres when theres nothing better to play..thats kind of why Ive been awaiting PoE so much since Ill get my hands on an RPG again after a long while.

No I really enjoy Bioware games, that's why I play them :)

If you hypothetically create an imaginary character with a personality, then that character would react to happenings and things around them.

There's nothing preposterous about that. Again, you're describing standard video game NPC structure. The problem with plugging romances into that template is that the reaction itself never seems to feel right or organic.

More to the point: It is not unusual to do a good deed for someone (or a few good deeds) and then they react by becoming your friend. But it DOES feel odd to do that same good deed(s) and suddenly they react by falling in love with you. You are operating under the false notion that "love" or "romance" is no different from any other kind of interpersonal bonding. But the fact of the matter is that it's TONS different. Especially in a video game. If a romance in a video game is to feel anything other than 'tacked on', it must advance past the superficial flirting and friendship level. There has to be much, much more.... More time to develop, more situations, more discussion, more emotion, more focus on the '1 + 1 = Us' theme, etc. And not even Bioware has the budget for all that. Nor can an RPG do all this and remain an RPG.

Otherwise, it's best that they save money and time and just implement decent casual sex that is based on implied physical attraction, like the Witcher games do, because at least those can succeed based on both human nature and logic. Not to mention eye-candy appeal <ahem>.

Funny enough Stun I was reading an interesting article that discusses how attraction and love are just pheromones. So in other words you can literally " just fall in love with someone on day 1 " with the right pheromone combination

So just because Romance\Love  happens "quickly" in a RPG it doesn't necessarily mean its unrealistic :wub:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

More time to develop, more situations, more discussion, more emotion, more focus on the '1 + 1 = Us' theme, etc.

Inquisition does allow for these things, at least so far, in the one I've attempted, written and implemented better than previous games, either on the Citadel or in Thedas. It takes effort and time and dialogue and circumstance just to get to know Cassandra ... otherwise she'll disapprove your advance ... cut your woo off at the knees ... which is almost as satisfying, getting shot down, as it is to gain a friend.  

All Stop. On Screen.

In fact it cant be done at all. You either feel love in your heart or you dont and no RPG is going to make me feel that by trying to emulate it. I tend to not feel real love for imaginary characters, even when roleplaying as another imaginary character

So at the end of the day, implementing love is not worth it for that. Its only use can come from when it adds something to the roleplaying experience. And it doesnt, for me. Or can someone explain how it does to them?

Funny enough Stun I was reading an interesting article that discusses how attraction and love are just pheromones. So in other words you can literally " just fall in love with someone on day 1 " with the right pheromone combination

So just because Romance\Love  happens "quickly" in a RPG it doesn't necessarily mean its unrealistic  :wub:

What is important is do YOU think that is the case? I certainly dont.

Edited by Sheikh

Yeah, if you've got a chemical imbalance in your brain.

...Or if your grasp of the English language is really that limited. What you are describing is a crush. But that's not what we've been discussing for the past 28 pages of this thread.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 1

...Or if your grasp of the English language is really that limited. What you are describing is a crush. But that's not what we've been discussing for the past 28 pages of this thread.

Sure, but can't a crush lead to deeper feelings?

So its quite possible in a RPG perspective that you meet someone in the party who you immediately are attracted to and within a short amount of time you have a physical relationship and then the feelings develop to something deeper, like love?

Hell that happens to me in RL so I can't see why that's not possible in a fantasy RPG?

John Milton 

So its quite possible in a RPG perspective that you meet someone in the party who you immediately are attracted to and within a short amount of time you have a physical relationship and then the feelings develop to something deeper, like love?

Hell that happens to me in RL so I can't see why that's not possible in a fantasy RPG?

No it doesn happen in RL like that. That was not real love. It was just a deeper crush or affection.

If you want to feel like getting a crush on vrtiual characters thats fine though I think. I personally dont however since I dont find crushes very exciting or meaningful at all.

Edited by Sheikh

No it doesn happen in RL like that. That was not real love. It was just a deeper crush or affection.

If you want to feel like getting a crush on vrtiual characters thats fine though I think. I personally dont however since I dont find crushes very exciting or meaningful at all.

Okay but who said we need to achieve true love in your RPG journey,  maybe deep feelings and a crush is fine?

And considering the fact we are talking about a fantasy world with magic and dragons this is probably realistic ?

So once again the whole implementation of Romance in  your RPG journey makes sense because we aren't trying to necessarily achieve true love just a deep and satisfying emotional and physical bond

John Milton 

I've only romanced two (or three) fictitional characters in my whole gaming life: Viconia Deviir from Baldur's Gate II and Morrigan from Dragon Age Origins (along with Fall-from-grace from Planescape: Torment if you can even consider that a romance). And personally I do consider, without a doubt, that it contributed more to making my role-playing experience more memorable.

However there are more important aspects in a role-playing game other than such a minor mechanic like romance. Although enjoyable, the lack of it won't take away from the game in the slightest, besides I doubt I'll find characters I like enough to romance any time soon (if not never) such as the ones I mentioned.

• Like 1

However there are more important aspects in a role-playing game other than such a minor mechanic like romance. Although enjoyable, the lack of it won't take away from the game in the slightest, besides I doubt I'll find characters I like enough to romance any time soon (if not never) such as the ones I mentioned.

I agree with this, finally. IF ITS DONE REALLY DAMN WELL for what it is, I guess why not. But it is such a miniscule matter, like holy ****, why are we even discussing it? Its fine to discuss it AS SUCH, but I dont understand why is there even so much to discuss? I know I am discussing just as much as anyone here, but I dont really myself understand why. If anyone knows why are we discussing the **** out of such small matters like having a little crush on your adventuring partner, doing cute faces to one another and may be giving a hug, please let me know. And if you wanted to say sex, then sex is even less important than those things in my honest opinion. All that is fine but what is there to discuss?

Thanks

Edited by Sheikh

I've only romanced two (or three) fictitional characters in my whole gaming life: Viconia Deviir from Baldur's Gate II and Morrigan from Dragon Age Origins (along with Fall-from-grace from Planescape: Torment if you can even consider that a romance). And personally I do consider, without a doubt, that it contributed more to making my role-playing experience more memorable.

Yes I agree 100 % that Romance makes your RPG experience  more memorable and for me more immersive

Also I find I remember the people I have Romanced in the various RPG I have played through the years  almost immediately....but I can barley recall the other party members :blink:

John Milton 

Yes I agree 100 % that Romance makes your RPG experience  more memorable and for me more immersive

Also I find I remember the people I have Romanced in the various RPG I have played through the years  almost immediately....but I can barley recall the other party members :blink:

So? Why is that important to you? Why does it matter to you that you remember them? Are you just saying you have really enjoyed romance in the context of roleplaying so much that it has been extremely memorable for you?

Thats cool, now WHY did you enjoy romance in these RPGs? Emotions? What emotions did it cause in you? Butterflys in your stomach? Or what? What are the good emotions and what exactly is it about romance in RPGs that emulates real romance so well that gives you those good emotions?

Edited by Sheikh