Things to do in London on holiday

BruceVC

which wouldn't happen on the underground.

HA! Good Fun!

But the thought you may get ripped off using a taxi shouldn't be a reason not to use one or negate the fact a taxi is more convenient

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

HA! Good Fun!

But the thought you may get ripped off using a taxi shouldn't be a reason not to use one or negate the fact a taxi is more convenient

that is the main reason we don't use a taxi when we go to NY. other reasons include but isn't limited to the following:

rude cabbies

racist cabbies who don't pick-up minority fares

exorbitant cost

seats with mysterious foreign substances

heck, in the literal thousands o' trips we has made to the bay area, we has only used a cab two times. use bart instead.

we were not wealthy the last time we were in london, so we didn't use cabs much, but while they is better than NY cabs at avoiding the aforementioned shortcomings, your tale o' tourist fleecing does suggest that london cabs ain't flawless... and we suspect they is still as expensive as we recall.

convenience typical has a cost.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

HA! Good Fun!

that is the main reason we don't use a taxi when we go to NY. other reasons include but isn't limited to the following:

rude cabbies

racist cabbies who don't pick-up minority fares

exorbitant cost

seats with mysterious foreign substances

heck, in the literal thousands o' trips we has made to the bay area, we has only used a cab two times. use bart instead.

we were not wealthy the last time we were in london, so we didn't use cabs much, but while they is better than NY cabs at avoiding the aforementioned shortcomings, your tale o' tourist fleecing does suggest that london cabs ain't flawless... and we suspect they is still as expensive as we recall.

convenience typical has a cost.

HA! Good Fun!

Okay good points raised and I agree convenience does have a price, it shouldn't but it does when it comes certain taxi drivers as we experienced.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

After all these year I cant recall seeing a picture of you Gromnir. Are you noticeably Native American? A good friend of mine is married to a Blackfoot Indian and you really cant tell by looking at her. Granted, Im not sure if she is pure blood so she probably has Caucasian genes too. I ask since you mention cabbies not picking up minority fares. 

After all these year I cant recall seeing a picture of you Gromnir. Are you noticeably Native American? A good friend of mine is married to a Blackfoot Indian and you really cant tell by looking at her. Granted, Im not sure if she is pure blood so she probably has Caucasian genes too. I ask since you mention cabbies not picking up minority fares. 

well, as an example, the last time we were in ny we were staying at the penta hotel, or rather the hotel pennsylvania--they has changed the name o' that place a few times. we like the penta for one simple reason: it is across the street from msg. anywho, one night we hail a cab. am having our hair cut business style and were wearing a suit with a navy london fog trench coat. we get in cab and ask to be taken to the UN (long story.) the cabbie, who were eastern european, yells at us to get out o' the cab... we caught "puerto rican" in there somewhere.

we have had girlfriends that says we look mediterranean. east coast we gets "puerto rican." west coast and chicago we get "mexican," alot. am well-tanned, at the very least. is not like we wear buckskins and feathers... no "free leonard peltier" t-shirts neither. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

My birthday holiday trip is sadly coming to an end. I am flying back to South Africa tonight, yesterday I went around London by myself shopping which was very interesting. I spent the time trying to prove my  dads advice wrong, he said to me "In London you shouldn't greet random strangers, people will  think its odd"

And he was right in a certain way, I noticed some people you will greet with a friendly " Morning :) " will  look at you and walk past. But I did have several people who greeted me back and were prepared to chat for a short while

I went to Harrods which has the most incredible food emporium but its horribly expensive but the good news is there are major summer sales specials at various shops. I ended up buying 5 x Hawes and Curtis long sleeve shirts for work, all 5  shirts only cost 100 pounds. This is an excellent price considering the quality of the shirts

Oh at Harrods I did buy  some Nerf ammunition. Nerf is a type of toy gun that this new lady at my office plays as a hobby, she is really hot and I like her. So I thought getting her a present is a good way to make a positive impression :biggrin:

We then ended up going to Itsu for dinner which is a famous sushi restaurant franchise in London, I love sushi and this restaurant didn't disappoint. The sushi comes around on a conveyor belt and you basically take what you want off the conveyor belt. It was the best sushi I have ever had

What else can I say about my trip

• It was important spending time with my dad and stepmom., They don't live in Johannesburg, they live in Durban so I don't often see them that much so this holiday was mostly about spending time with them, And we did have quality time together which was important to me
  • London really is the centre of the world for a number of reasons. Its this incredible melting pot of finance, cultures and history. I cannot stress enough the thousands of tourists who were visiting and all of them were excited to understand more of the history and see the sites of this great city. For those that live in London( like Walsie, Monte and Kroney) I am very envious of the amazing city you live in. Of course being on holiday and staying in an area like Chelsea you tend to only experience the good about London but I still say its a great place

Today I'll be buying several types of cheese I saw at various shops and just chilling. But the holiday overall exceeded my expectations and I can't say enough positive things about the entire trip :)

• Like 3

John Milton 

That is a properly horrific rat tale. Makes me glad to live in semi-arid conditions, which I think precludes bastard-great finger biters. 

Also, is Hackney the place, the origin of hackneyed the term. 

It's not, no. Though you could be forgiven for thinking it, given the state of Hackney. Hackneyed comes from a common type of horse, which I guess then grew from "commonplace" to "overused".

My birthday holiday trip is sadly coming to an end. I am flying back to South Africa tonight, yesterday I went around London by myself shopping which was very interesting. I spent the time trying to prove my  dads advice wrong, he said to me "In London you shouldn't greet random strangers, people will  think its odd"

• London really is the centre of the world for a number of reasons. Its this incredible melting pot of finance, cultures and history. I cannot stress enough the thousands of tourists who were visiting and all of them were excited to understand more of the history and see the sites of this great city. For those that live in London( like Walsie, Monte and Kroney) I am very envious of the amazing city you live in. Of course being on holiday and staying in an area like Chelsea you tend to only experience the good about London but I still say its a great place

It's pretty great, except when some fool shuts down half the city for a bike ride.

• Like 2

Dirty deeds done cheap.

So uh, was the Nerf ammo well-received. Did you give her the extended magazine as a bonus. 

I'm looking at Nerf right now, they have a Zombie Strike Crossbow, how cool.

I'm going to give it to her when I get back to the office on Thursday, I have been busy at customers since I got back. I did see the extended magazine but I only bought her 3 x packs of ammo. I also didn't want to go overboard on the presents until the relationships starts progressing.  I'm glad you have heard about this Nerf gun, I had never heard about it until she mentioned it.  But she said all her friends play this type of game :)

John Milton 

So uh, was the Nerf ammo well-received. Did you give her the extended magazine as a bonus. 

I'm going to give it to her when I get back to the office on Thursday, I have been busy at customers since I got back. I did see the extended magazine but I only bought her 3 x packs of ammo. I also didn't want to go overboard on the presents until the relationships starts progressing.  I'm glad you have heard about this Nerf gun, I had never heard about it until she mentioned it.  But she said all her friends play this type of game :)

Creepy office stalker mode... engaged. :D

• Like 4

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Copy that, control. Awkward staring on my mark...

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

:lol:

Not at all, in fact meeting someone at work is an excellent way to build a relationship. She doesn't work in my BU but works in a BU that we share a technology space with. So we always have something to talk about in a way  that isn't awkward.

In fact I would argue that the only way  that is easier to meet someone outside of work is being introduced to someone through a good friend because that way the person you are meeting has already heard what a cool and funny person you are so the whole trust aspect of that first encounter isn't a problem. Of course the attraction component stills needs to be met but that's obvious in meeting  any new prospective dating partner

John Milton 

:lol:

Not at all, in fact meeting someone at work is an excellent way to build a relationship. She doesn't work in my BU but works in a BU that we share a technology space with. So we always have something to talk about in a way  that isn't awkward.

In fact I would argue that the only way  that is easier to meet someone outside of work is being introduced to someone through a good friend because that way the person you are meeting has already heard what a cool and funny person you are so the whole trust aspect of that first encounter isn't a problem. Of course the attraction component stills needs to be met but that's obvious in meeting  any new prospective dating partner

Oh, I know, for a long time I only dated coworkers because I had no other life. I'd still keep a different mindset to the whole thing, though. More of a "see what happens" than start planning for the wedding. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I reckon BruceVC has love coming on, and if not, pretty darn nice material for a romantic movie. Title? Toting a Nerf Gun For Two Under Table Mountain. ;)

:lol:  That's clever, well played

John Milton 

I'm more surprised Harrod's sells Nerf ammunition.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm more surprised Harrod's sells Nerf ammunition.

Why would that surprise you? They have a whole floor, level 3, almost entirely dedicated to toys

John Milton 

Always heard it was a rather expensive type of store in terms of price and attitude, not necessarily the kind of place one would expect to find Nerf toys. I never bothered to go there while I was over there due to lack of a reason, so never confirmed this. Do have a rather insanely priced bear out front at Heathrow though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Always heard it was a rather expensive type of store in terms of price and attitude, not necessarily the kind of place one would expect to find Nerf toys. I never bothered to go there while I was over there due to lack of a reason, so never confirmed this. Do have a rather insanely priced bear out front at Heathrow though.

Its is expensive, you notice just how expensive when you look at the food delicatessen. They wanted to charge me 5 pounds per 100 grams of Comte cheese. It caters for wealthy Arabs and other  affluent groups. But some things are normal prices like the Nerf range, I paid 7 pounds per pack of 30 darts, I don't think that's unreasonable?

John Milton