Being locked into Steam because of beta participation

When I played the Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin alpha/betas, they were both steam exclusive. However when it came time for release, both companies simply just updated the beta that people had downloaded and locked their choice in as Steam for distribution. Both companies also did not announce when their early access versions went up that this would be the case, it was only something they said a few months out from release.

Due to complaints Wasteland 2 offered a second copy of the game to everyone who purchased over $35 or $55. I actually filled out Larian Vault redemption for my D:OS but they changed it to Steam on release day.

Larian are also offering a grace period where you can change it, but it's not available yet.

Will this be the case for Pillars of Eternity. I have beta access, and I assume the beta will be a Steam exclusive to "try to prevent leaks", so if we download the backer beta, will that lock us into a Steam key for the final game?

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 5

Yes still waiting for DOS to unlock on GOG, doesn't want to download for some reason, trifle irritating as I took the day off. Think i'll avoid the beta for this exact reason, and the freshness of the experience.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I always assumed developers chose steam only because a) Steam pushes updates automatically which is important in a beta, and b) Early Access gives developers some extra money.

If they release the beta on GOG, anyone who knows anything about torrenting can download it within a few hours. I'm sure some people would complain with regards to exclusivity and paying for the privilege.

If they use Steam, people will complain because of DRM.

With regards to updates, it's easy enough to create a launcher that'll update your game before launching it.

"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

Steam doesn't stop that either, most DRM only stops casual copying, not torrents from scene release groups.

It's easy enough, but the infrastructure and software is already available on Steam, it's something they don't need to worry about. The backer website is easy enough, but look how long it takes developers to get them up, they've got a lot on their plates.

I really don't care what the beta is released on (it will be steam of course), but I thought the issue is worth bringing up.

My Red Orchestra 2 beta and full copy of the game were both on Steam and completely separate, so it is possible to not have the full game overwrite the beta.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind if the beta is on Steam (it is a beta, it is only useful until the full game comes out), but I would rather not have to lock my full copy of the game into Steam, since I try to go DRM-free with my full games when I can.

It is not a deal-breaker however.

Edited by Night Stalker

When I played the Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin alpha/betas, they were both steam exclusive. However when it came time for release, both companies simply just updated the beta that people had downloaded and locked their choice in as Steam for distribution. Both companies also did not announce when their early access versions went up that this would be the case, it was only something they said a few months out from release.

Due to complaints Wasteland 2 offered a second copy of the game to everyone who purchased over $35 or $55. I actually filled out Larian Vault redemption for my D:OS but they changed it to Steam on release day.

Larian are also offering a grace period where you can change it, but it's not available yet.

Will this be the case for Pillars of Eternity. I have beta access, and I assume the beta will be a Steam exclusive to "try to prevent leaks", so if we download the backer beta, will that lock us into a Steam key for the final game?

Now I understand what happened to my DRM-free copy of the D:OS. I must have missed that update. It's a shame I had to learn about that from you and not Larian's own support, to whom I have wrote an email the next day I got the package with Steam bound copy of the game. Disappointing.

Could you elaborate about that grace period, or provide a link? In a vain hope of resolving this situation I still have not installed the game nor redeemed Steam CD-key so maybe not everything is lost.

Edited by milczyciel

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

I am actually not sure because I never bothered with it. It took GOG a while to release the game (longer than the steam version) because they had to actually do some work on their own end getting the Multiplayer to work for the GOG version.

I think they said there should be an option in your Larian Vault account, but I am not sure if it has been added or not.

There was a big sanfu on several issues with regards to the D:OS keys:

1) Originally, Larian planned on voiding all of the current stream keys, giving users the option to request either stream keys or GOG keys for the final release.  At the last minute, they decided to leave the stream keys active, only voiding them when a user choose to request a GOG key.  It turns out that voiding the stream keys wasn't as easy as expected... :(

2) GOG decided (more or less on their own) to delay the release D:OS until their matchmaking service was ready, so there were no GOG keys to issue.

3) Larian did a very, very bad job at understanding the situation they were in and communicating the with the backers.

In short, it was a massive mess.  Hopefilly, Obsidian has watched and learned from the experience and there won't be problems like this for the PoE release... :)

I'm going to guess Bryy that you're younger than I am with a comment like that.

Back in the good old days, you have a game, you install it, and you can play it. No DRM, online activation or internet connection required. A steam purchase is not the purchase of a game, it is the purchase of a license to play a game. This license can be revoked.

Steam I'll grant is convenient, particularly for games that do not require steamworks, but GoG is working on a similar solution. And between the two I'm gonna pick the one that is actual ownership of the game, rather than a license.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 8

Personally I don't really care what service other people use. I usually prefer GOG however as there are no achievements, the downloader is much faster, there are no pop ups asking me inane questions or advertising, I am never denied access to the products i've bought, the extras are easier to access, no multiplayer of course, and its fanbase is not quite so fanatical about GOG as Steam users are about that obese person whom they worship.

I like the straightforward nature of GOG, one purchases a product and that is that, there is not so much artificial frippery to navigate.

• Like 9

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm sorry but it always amuses me how people go for GoG just because it has no DRM. As if Steam somehow has the worst DRM policy ever.

Some people on this site have a weird obsession with GoG.  I'm all for DRM free, and I can understand why they like it, but these people fail to notice that many of the games on GoG are also DRM free on Steam as well.  I just ran both Half Life and Divinity: Original Sin without steam running at all.

It's not like I use Gog all that much anyhow even though I have a few games there; they doesn't support my main operating system at the moment.  :getlost:

Edited by bonarbill

I'm sorry but it always amuses me how people go for GoG just because it has no DRM. As if Steam somehow has the worst DRM policy ever.

Some people on this site have a weird obsession with GoG.  I'm all for DRM free, and I can understand why they like it, but these people fail to notice that many of the games on GoG are also DRM free on Steam as well.  I just ran both Half Life and Divinity: Original Sin without steam running at all.

It's not like I use Gog all that much anyhow even though I have a few games there; they doesn't support my main operating system at the moment.  :getlost:

I use Steam more or less exclusively, but I'll point out that even games that don't require Stream to be loaded to play still require Stream to be running to install.  With GOG you can take the downloaded file, burn it to a DVD(s), then reinstall it in the future even if GOG goes away altogether, which you can't do with a Stream title (Zipping up the application directory is very unlikely to work, as necessary changes to the registry and other dependencies wouldn't be included).

Not a big deal for me, but I can see why some people would be attracted to GOG on this basis.

• Like 1

I'm going to guess Bryy that you're younger than I am with a comment like that.

Back in the good old days, you have a game, you install it, and you can play it. No DRM, online activation or internet connection required. A steam purchase is not the purchase of a game, it is the purchase of a license to play a game. This license can be revoked.

Steam I'll grant is convenient, particularly for games that do not require steamworks, but GoG is working on a similar solution. And between the two I'm gonna pick the one that is actual ownership of the game, rather than a license.

I thought that a game's EULA always stated that you bought a license for the game, not the game itself. Just because there was no DRM doesn't mean you had the right to do whatever you wanted to the game files.

Sure, it wasn't enforceable and required people to be trustworthy, and no one was going to come knocking down your door if you modded elves and dwarves into your Fallout install, but it still wasn't the outright purchase you make it sound like.

Squeak!

I thought that a game's EULA always stated that you bought a license for the game, not the game itself. Just because there was no DRM doesn't mean you had the right to do whatever you wanted to the game files.

Sure, it wasn't enforceable and required people to be trustworthy, and no one was going to come knocking down your door if you modded elves and dwarves into your Fallout install, but it still wasn't the outright purchase you make it sound like.

No, not all games. Looking at a lot of old games, they don't mention you bought a license. Some games even mention you can make a copy of the game for a back up.