Update 80: State of the Project - From Alpha to Beta

interesting. I wonder how they will address this E3 incident. I really hope they will show us some stuff tomorrow because of it. I mean if this is still on schedule it is less than 6 months away with no real footage shown at all. 

Incident? What incident? Did Sawyer get drunk and punch a reporter?

Oh, you mean that thing where Obsidian showed PoE to a bunch of people and a small subset of backers have, for some reason, taken it as a personal insult.

The next update is almost certainly final class info. Best prepare yourself to not see moving pictures for awhile.

• Like 4

interesting. I wonder how they will address this E3 incident. I really hope they will show us some stuff tomorrow because of it. I mean if this is still on schedule it is less than 6 months away with no real footage shown at all. 

Oh, you mean that thing where Obsidian showed PoE to a bunch of people and a small subset of backers have, for some reason, taken it as a personal insult.

The next update is almost certainly final class info. Best prepare yourself to not see moving pictures for awhile.

I am pretty sure someone from Obsidian mentioned in this thread that they will address all this at least.  I only wonder how they will address this. 

Edited by Darji

But no gameplay vid. And i'm starting to hope they never show any gameplay until release just to piss off Darji

I kind of hope they invite a whole school up to their studio for some sort of career day visit, and show all those school kids a bunch of stuff before we get to see it, just so people can feel that much more wronged.

I actually demand that the developers blindfold and earmuff themselves while they work, so that no one gets to know anything about the project before we do. 8)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I wonder if the guys doing the making of dvd were there for the e3, and I'm wondering how long the making of dvd will be? I hope its not like 10 minutes haha. However remember, "We want to do more polish before we show the backers," he said. "We'll also show off other game play to the backers that has no spoilers. But backers can expect a beta later in the summer." 

It was much to-do about practically nothing. Somebody got their knickers in a knot, apparently. :p

The press reviews of that so-called incident did include some spoilers, and not really all that much new content although there were a couple of area views I hadn't seen before. Nothing i couldn't have lived without.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It was much to-do about practically nothing. Somebody got their knickers in a knot, apparently. :p

The press reviews of that so-called incident did include some spoilers, and not really all that much new content although there were a couple of area views I hadn't seen before. Nothing i couldn't have lived without.

than that is leaving the question of why we did not get to see the demo as well.  Even Kojima actually released the whole behind the doors E3 demo to fans after E3.  Because he knows the importance of video material compared to just plain text and some screens.

And this game is like an year or maybe even more away from release. 

Edited by Darji

than that is leaving the question of why we did not get to see the demo as well.  Even Kojima actually released the whole behind the doors E3 demo to fans after E3.  Because he knows the importance of video material compared to just plain text and some screens.

This 'question' has already been addressed. You know that.

This 'question' has already been addressed. You know that.

Yes but I think it is a pretty silly and weak argument for that.  

We are like 6 months away from release if its not getting delayed.  And there is no real footage at all except the  1+ year old teaser and even that one was really apriciated by fans. So why will this be different?

They said they do not want to spoiler stuff but the thing the press has seen was like the first minutes of the game nothing else.  And even if. Just put a spoiler warning before it and done.

It also should be clear that if its polished enough for the press which also complained about animations it should be fine for backers who have seen a ton of alpha footage and demos from other games they have backed.  And I think they really need to address this.

Just responding does not mean everything is fine and dandy. But people also can ask ore questions if they are not satisfied with an answer

Yes we known your oft-repeated 'opinion', and I still disagree. I most definitely do not want to see spoilers before I play the game, and, as they are a commercial enterprise, I completely understand the need to manage the presentation quality for the general viewing audience. Everything seems fine and dandy from my perspective. You don't like it and we all know that. Live with it.

• Like 1

Was that really the excuse not to show backers?: "We don't want to spoil anything".

That cant be it, that's moronic. They could show some clip of random stuffs that would in no way "spoil" anything.

It was one of the reasons written in this thread by obsidian:

"Since this has grown into a contentious point, I wanted to address it.

We will not be showing a video of the demo. The footage has quite a few spoilers in it and it isn't ready to show to the backers yet. We want to show you guys something much more polished and we aim to do that sometime between now and our backer beta. Just so you guys are aware, it will likely be closer to the backer beta.

To do that means we have to focus a large amount of polish on a very specific area we want to show. This ends up hurting other areas in the game because they will tend to get less polish overall. We did have to do this for the E3 demo, but because we were showing off a few key areas, it is work we had to do anyways. Since we will show you something off of the critical path, it means we need to be much more careful over what get shown."

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66310-update-80-state-of-the-project-from-alpha-to-beta/?p=1457977

Edited by Darji

Well Ill be a monkeys uncle.

I guess you can see what my gripe with this answer is. Especially when you read the previews talking about the starting area and I am pretty sure they mentioned some encounter in a FOREST as well.  In these previews I do not get what was in there that they could not show but other people could talk about it. And polish is also a very bad excuse with Kickstarter games since A we have seen a small teaser and B there are kickstarter games like the "megaman" one which has shown absolutely very very very early gameplay material and no one who was invested in it and understood the meaning of early complained about it. I the last month or so I even have seen Unreal Tournament footage which was in development for like a week. And people were even excited about that. Because some developer have understood that it is great to share instead to hide.

@ Sensuki

They polished the E3 demo but could not show it because of spoilers. They even mentioned it in their answer..... And In the end people have seen the begining of the game and some forest.  And Just like kojima polished the E3 demo and showed it to their fans. 

Edited by Darji

Yeah that's correct, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the character animations and FX aren't "good enough" to show to the general public yet was a larger reason than it being crit path content.

There's probably a few other features that just aren't quite there yet as well, that they want to be more polished before they do a video.

Edited by Sensuki

Yeah that's correct, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the character animations and FX aren't "good enough" to show to the general public yet was a larger reason than it being crit path content.

There's probably a few other features that just aren't quite there yet as well, that they want to be more polished before they do a video.

We see that all the time and previews also mentioned this but this is not a game that is wanted by a graphical crowd. This is a game for old school players who give mostly a **** about that kind of stuff. This game is never get to the casual crowd and it is never intended to be according to the pitch.   Some indy games have not even something like animations and people love it. 

What people would care about such a demo. Writing, dialogue choices, maybe characters, music (if it is already implemented) skills, tactical possibilities, atmosphere and so on.  Animations are most likely the least thing these people will be upset about. 

If this is really the reason. I have to think that they are not confident in their game at all.  Again this is not a game that will decide the future of Obsidian this is not an AAA big budget game. And people know that.  No one will kill this game. Larian Studios did that from the beginning and animations were the last concern people had. 

Edited by Darji