Update 80: State of the Project - From Alpha to Beta

Sounds like you still haven't watched the video.

How ever did you discern such a secret?:

So, I don't know about those particular journalists in that video (still can't watch it right now, even if I wanted to)...

Proof that you don't read people's posts before deciding what they're saying and responding. I don't have time for this. *tips hat*

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I don't see how they do anything else than specify why they are incompetent and out of touch in your opinion, which don't in my opinion add anything such that it would matter when we consider my paraphrasing "they were absolute wrong with their opinions and are embarrassment to all gaming journalist that there are", which is reason why left them out, although I added link to your whole message so that people can check it out to see if I miss quote you.

If you're job is reporting on games and they find it all to hard to do their job with a certain type of game (eg. Kickstarter games), when it's actually easier to report on Kickstarter games with a wealth of knowledge at your disposal including new stuff that the dev's tell them in interviews such as E3. Then yes, they're incompetent. But keep taking my quotes out of context Elerond.

So, again: Why do you keep talking about these journalists. Noone else is interested in them. You're the one who always comes back to them. Why? I've asked this numerous times already, but you always chose to answer with a completely different question.

Perhaps asking this yourself. You keep talking about them and you keep coming back to them with your posts. Why?

And why aren't you asking this to others? Clearly people are interested in them including yourself.

And I've already answered your questions.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

Sounds like you still haven't watched the video.

How ever did you discern such a secret?:

So, I don't know about those particular journalists in that video (still can't watch it right now, even if I wanted to)...

Proof that you don't read people's posts before deciding what they're saying and responding. I don't have time for this. *tips hat*

So you still haven't watched the video after two days. Oh well, it doesn't really help your argument when you still don't know what we're talking about.

I don't see how they do anything else than specify why they are incompetent and out of touch in your opinion, which don't in my opinion add anything such that it would matter when we consider my paraphrasing "they were absolute wrong with their opinions and are embarrassment to all gaming journalist that there are", which is reason why left them out, although I added link to your whole message so that people can check it out to see if I miss quote you.

If you're job is reporting on games and they find it all to hard to do their job with a certain type of game (eg. Kickstarter games), when it's actually easier to report on Kickstarter games with a wealth of knowledge at your disposal including new stuff that the dev's tell them in interviews such as E3. Then yes, they're incompetent. But keep taking my quotes out of context Elerond.

Difficulty of task depend always on what one wants to achieve, so if you want to make coverage that will get specific number of hits, your task is most likely be easier if you cover something that is popular than something that only few people have ever heard before. 

Difficulty of task depend always on what one wants to achieve, so if you want to make coverage that will get specific number of hits, your task is most likely be easier if you cover something that is popular than something that only few people have ever heard before. 

I've already covered this Elerond. Magazines and web sites have more than one page. Why wouldn't you cover multiple things at the same time? Why limit yourself to just one part of the gaming industry and not do an article on an indy or Kickstarter game? The site might be surprised at the amount of hits if it becomes, and it may just become a popular indy/Kickstarter title through reporting of it.

I've already covered this Elerond. Magazines and web sites have more than one page. Why wouldn't you cover multiple things at the same time? Why limit yourself to just one part of the gaming industry and not do an article on an indy or Kickstarter game? The site might be surprised at the amount of hits if it becomes, and it may just become a popular indy/Kickstarter title through reporting of it.

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/live/

There is GameSpots live stream schedule from this years E3 so that you can see how much free time they had to give additional coverage, as we are speaking about some of journalist whose job was produce that.

And even with web pages you don't get free coverage about games, but publication needs to pay for someone to write that coverage, which is why that coverage needs at least pay itself back and  rather  of course produce profit. And publications have access to only limited number of journalist, especially in events like E3, which mean that they need to prioritize their time towards those games that they think will produce most profitable coverage.

P.S. I would remind that we speak about those four journalist in that video and statement where one of them said that covering KS games is harder than covering AAA games, not about magazines or other publications, but one journalist perspective.

P.P.S. And they covered KS games as they stated in video, so it wasn't even them one or other scenario.

Edited by Elerond

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/live/

There is GameSpots live stream schedule from this years E3 so that you can see how much free time they had to give additional coverage, as we are speaking about some of journalist whose job was produce that.

And even with web pages you don't get free coverage about games, but publication needs to pay for someone to write that coverage, which is why that coverage needs at least pay itself back and  rather  of course produce profit. And publications have access to only limited number of journalist, especially in events like E3, which mean that they need to prioritize their time towards those games that they think will produce most profitable coverage.

We're not talking about live coverage. Nice with moving the goal posts there. We're talking about reporting in general with Kickstarter games. You do realise you can still report about Kickstarter games after E3? And it doesn't have to be live coverage? hmm, just like so many websites will be doing when the embargo is lifted for PoE. And it's a point you still continue to ignore and not acknowledge.

So no, your points are ridiculous, moving the goal posts, and are irrelevant, considering there are journalists who are reporting Kickstarter games.

P.S. I would remind that we speak about those four journalist in that video and statement where one of them said that covering KS games is harder than covering AAA games, not about magazines or other publications, but one journalist perspective.

P.P.S. And they covered KS games as they stated in video, so it wasn't even them one or other scenario.

Yes, we are speaking about those four journalists in that video who all agree it's all too 'hard' and 'weird' and generally negative about the whole Kickstarter thing. It's not one journalist's perspective when all of them agree.

And just because one of them says they covered KS games, it doesn't ignore the fact he also agreed with the other guy who said it was all weird and hard to do. Don't forget that little bit Elerond.

Still championing that 1% who find it all too hard, while the rest of the industry can do it.

Yes, we are speaking about those four journalists in that video who all agree it's all too 'hard' and 'weird' and generally negative about the whole Kickstarter thing. It's not one journalist's perspective when all of them agree.

And just because one of them says they covered KS games, it doesn't ignore the fact he also agreed with the other guy who said it was all weird and hard to do. Don't forget that little bit Elerond.

Still championing that 1% who find it all too hard, while the rest of the industry can do it.

They didn't all agree

One who said that he covered KS games gave small protest towards that weird statement.

Format what they used in their wrap up shows was such that it would encourage or even allow debates between journalist.

I don't championing anything, I have only stated that those journalist weren't wrong in their statement that covering KS games is in most cases more difficult than covering AAA games. I don't and those journalist don't say that such coverage is too hard, but that is more difficult and it's different than covering AAA games.

They didn't all agree

One who said that he covered KS games gave small protest towards that weird statement.

Format what they used in their wrap up shows was such that it would encourage or even allow debates between journalist.

I don't championing anything, I have only stated that those journalist weren't wrong in their statement that covering KS games is in most cases more difficult than covering AAA games. I don't and those journalist don't say that such coverage is too hard, but that is more difficult and it's different than covering AAA games.

They did all agree. And it was no protest. What video are you watching? LMAO. You come up with some great fiction.

I just watched it again and he said, 'it's odd', it's weird' and when the other guy on the end (who is glad he didn't want to do them) talks, that guy is laughing and nodding his head at the guy on the end in agreement. And then immediately after continues to say they're weird. There was no debate there. It was all four agreeing with how 'weird' and 'odd' and 'hard' and not wanting to do them.

And yes, you've been defending them for the last few pages and continue to defend them. While the rest of the industry has moved with the times and does report on KS games. It's not harder even though you would rather take the words of the 1%. All it comes down to is reporting on a game which the rest of the industry can do. And has been pointed out, there are journalists who WANT to write and talk about these games. So that flies in the face with what you think.

What does one have to do to make this thread finally die? Chop off its head? Burn it? Bury it on a full moon? What?!

A fully eclipsed moon ... that way, it's buried in another dimension where they can argue indefinitely. 

• Like 3

All Stop. On Screen.

what Obsidian did at E3 is a rather Un-Kickstarter like thing to do. 

How?

Poor word choice. I meant that having a closed-door demo at E3 with a weeklong press embargo is quite a departure of the sort of "Open Window"(?) style of development, with frequent public updates, and back and forth communication with backers, which is often seen in Kickstarter projects. There is an expectation by many backers that they will be the first to be let in on new information.

I know it's not intrinsic to Kickstarter itself, which is just a funding model, but I figured it had become a bit of a shorthand for that. I'm going to assume those journalists in the video use it that way as well. (Yeah, also not going to watch that. Not really interested in that part of the discussion here.)

I'd say Obsidian has done an admirable job with the "Open Window" (Is there a proper term for this?) model, with forum posts and 80 updates so far. If they feel the need to deviate from it now and then to ensure more/better media coverage, then I'm perfectly fine with that. (Except that it's still 2 hours until the embargo lift, and I have to leave for work in 2 hours. Hrnnng.)

• Like 1

Well, there is a point when you need to talk to the press man. It's even more difficult to make them talk about your game when you're not backed by a big publisher who are used to work with the journalists. The interesting part of the closed-door demo is that you know who can speak about your game and who won't.

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

Reading these previews  is great. Journalists do not get  that this game is not finished . Be it animations or the interface or other stuff . Why again was this only for the press? Oh yeah I forgot they know and understand it is not finished yet.....  

And the reception is also great. So many comments from people. The neogaf thread is on fire, even in here it is like  rush hour. Oh wait it is not... I wonder if this were any different with you know actual footage and the E3 Demo like Kojima today did with MGSV man thse AAA developer really know how to get a crowd unlike the smaller kickstarter ones....

Edited by Darji

Clearly, hadberz is a figment of our collective imaginations, because no one paying attention to E3 cares about their grandfather's RPG from way-back-when. :)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

interesting. I wonder how they will address this E3 incident. I really hope they will show us some stuff tomorrow because of it. I mean if this is still on schedule it is less than 6 months away with no real footage shown at all.