I have no idea which party composition I want, let alone which class I'll pick. Usually it takes me an hour+ with game\manual before I decide which class I fancy for my first play-through, while my party will be determined by the story and companions personality, at least for my first play-throughs. Later it would depend on whatever picked my interest and or what mods will be available ( I understand that whole issue, around modding maps, but if they don't make it easy to mod every thing else i.e. new companions\quests, i'd be disappointed ).

With that said, based on what I know I am most intrigued by the Rouge class. They seem to be higher maintenance then the rest, but that much more rewarding, plus they are perfect for ambushes and find hidden treasures! Next is the Fighter, while its probably the most conservative\boring, they seem like the most obvious choice to explore the new engagement mechanics, especially when carefully placed in bottle neck and serve as Linchpin for the rouge.

Monk/Chipper/Chanter seem to have an interesting mechanics, but I am cautious about them. The Wizard\priest\druid\paladin seem more or less IE verity, and Ranger seem like too easy class. (solid, ranged heavy hitter)

I got it quite simple/complicated

I hate small statued characters - no dwarfs/orlan/whatever they call them here

I hate pink color - we will see but I already know that cipher is out

then I hate class that seems out of game world - eg. druid in world where are guns, possibly machines - but this is ok for companions

I hate white knights - anyone similiar to Anomen

I dont like guns in fantasy settings

So i am going to play rouge - thiefs are in all ages

as for companions, I will see, Edeir seems ok, that monk guy will be probably in, I will see if pristess willl be interesting, not sure about paladin lady, definetely no female dwarf ranger, elven guy will be probably in, oran cipher is out

Nothing is carved in stone tho

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

In terms of the npcs we presently see to be available, I shall not close or open any doors fully until I have met them and understand a bit about them. That said...

Aloth's chances look good. I generally run a pro-elf line in my fantasy and I like to have at least one classic wizard at my disposal.

Cadegund, as both a priest and a female, will be pretty nailed on and will have to do something fairly spectacular to fall foul of my party selection.

Eder's chances look good, too. I need some front-line fighters, rogue or no, and he appears otherwise inoffensive for the time being.

Forton is screwed. Even if I was willing to open my ranks to a Monk, something I haven't done since I kicked my Monk midway through my first playthrough of IWD, he is excluded on my crucial party mandate that all within have fabulous hair.

Similarly, Pallegina has feathers coming out her skin which I would put in the cabinet drawer marked "Absolutely revolting". I'm also uncertain if I'm ready for a party member whose name looks like it rhymes with vagina.

Sagani is a ranger, a female, and - even if Boreal Dwarves are wildly different from their Tolkein cousins - a familiar race, can be optimistic about her chances too.

Unfortunately, the merest scan at my projected party would suggest that I have probably dispensed with the two party members least likely to kick up a fuss. Bickering is coming, etc.

If the other npcs don't make it in, that leaves me with:

Rogue, Priest, Wizard, Ranger and two slots.

Probably fill them with an adventurer's hall Fighter (Tank), and myself playing my natural role as whatever class has the best dual-wield melee sustained dps.

Edited by Kjaamor

then I hate class that seems out of game world - eg. druid in world where are guns, possibly machines - b

I'm confused by this. Is the sheer existence of machines, and essentially hand-held cannons, somehow supposed to nullify the vastness of nature?

"Someone's invented the cotton gin... ALL THE TREES AND WILDLIFE ARE GONE NOW!"

I'm not going to tell you to like guns in fantasy settings, but, beyond that, you're claiming that they somehow objectively clash with both fantasy in general, AND nature/druids?

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

then I hate class that seems out of game world - eg. druid in world where are guns, possibly machines - b

I'm confused by this. Is the sheer existence of machines, and essentially hand-held cannons, somehow supposed to nullify the vastness of nature?

"Someone's invented the cotton gin... ALL THE TREES AND WILDLIFE ARE GONE NOW!"

I'm not going to tell you to like guns in fantasy settings, but, beyond that, you're claiming that they somehow objectively clash with both fantasy in general, AND nature/druids?

you are taking it to extreme, to me age in which sience is starting to take place, shamans, druids, chanters etc seems little outdated. thats why i like if setting is more in ¨dark age¨. Its like Three musqueteers meet Asterix and Obelix.

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

@Chilloutman, there are shamans, chanters, and druids -- albeit not under that name -- plying their trade right now, coexisting with the Internet and atomic weapons. I've even met a few. Just sayin'.

But you dont belive they can cast fireballs, command plants or protect you from lightning right?

But you dont belive they can cast fireballs, command plants or protect you from lightning right?

I don't see how the existence of technology suddenly negates the existence of magic, but it's your game. You play it the way it feels best to you.

As for me, I'll take along any NPCs that have a personality that I like, although I do tend to love dwarfs in my fantasy games, so they'll have a definite edge just because they're of that race. I'll also keep an eye to party 'balance' so I can have most of the bases covered as far as skills required. But that's actually secondary until I start a play through that's all about the mechanics of the game and building the most effective party - which means it will probably end up being completely self created.

@Chilloutman, there are shamans, chanters, and druids -- albeit not under that name -- plying their trade right now, coexisting with the Internet and atomic weapons. I've even met a few. Just sayin'.

That's very true, I live in a country where the  vast majority of rural people still go to a witchdoctor for medical remedies

In Africa there are many examples of people who believe in shamans and other types of mysticism. For example in Nigeria the police arrested a goat as they were told that the goat was a person who used black magic to change shape to avoid capture

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1127012/Police-arrest-goat-accused-armed-robbery.html

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That's very true, I live in a country where the  vast majority of rural people still go to a witchdoctor for medical remedies

In Africa there are many examples of people who believe in shamans and other types of mysticism. For example in Nigeria the police arrested a goat as they were told that the goat was a person who used black magic to change shape to avoid capture

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1127012/Police-arrest-goat-accused-armed-robbery.html

Yeah right, but majority of planet population would rather pick gun that stick from shaman for their protections. I mean there is difference in what some guys which doesnt have education belive and what is actually working even if you dont know how. AKA AK-47 baby. If those shamans are so strong why there are 'fighters' using guns? :)

Edited by Chilloutman

@Chilloutman The majority of the planet's population believes in the supernatural in one form or another. I did a bit of quick Googling and it appears that about 75% of Americans believe in the efficacy of prayer to heal diseases, for example.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

@Chilloutman @PrimeJunta

I think that limiting oneself with less races/classes will be really dull. Suit yourself, though. Everyone will play the way that he or she desires.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Some people seem to really root for a specific (or certain character concepts) and even more extreme cases such as IndiraLightFoot who just loves character creation.

I'm more of a power gamer myself and I don't really care about any specific race or class, because I see them through their mechanics rather than their appearance or lore.

That said due to the prospect of this game being pretty balanced in build viability, there is more incentive to choose primarily based on RP elements just to see what reactions / different options are available because you know that as long as you apply some common sense to your build, you'll be fine.

• Like 2

@Chilloutman @PrimeJunta

I think that limiting oneself with less races/classes will be really dull. Suit yourself, though. Everyone will play the way that he or she desires.

Ooo you understand me wrong in this regard, I am all for more races/classes, I just dont like mix of real science (guns, machines) in world where people can command plants and summon deamons (exception is Arcanum which was perfect in this regard - machines overtaking magic, and it was perfectly described by lore eg. magic disrupt natural science (gravity, electricity etc) and machines not work near it)

Edited by Chilloutman

@Chilloutman The majority of the planet's population believes in the supernatural in one form or another. I did a bit of quick Googling and it appears that about 75% of Americans believe in the efficacy of prayer to heal diseases, for example.

I am so tempted to post cynical response to this xD

but on more seriouse note, yeah faith is one thing, but did someone actually see how someone summon angel/undead/whatever? because it seems in PoE there is magic quite common and 'real'

Edited by Chilloutman

@Chilloutman and if it did actually, observably, incontrovertibly work, then how would the emergence of guns cause shamans to disappear? 

Or, alternatively, how would the incontrovertible existence of miracle-workers stop people not thus talented from making technological advancements?

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

@Chilloutman and if it did actually, observably, incontrovertibly work, then how would the emergence of guns cause shamans to disappear? 

Or, alternatively, how would the incontrovertible existence of miracle-workers stop people not thus talented from making technological advancements?

I stated that in PoE is magic quite common so there is probably no need for scietific research as most people would instead of eg. engineer call mage/shaman/druid to make them magical car, flying carpet etc instead of creating mechanical one. But it is just my opinion. IF magic would exist in real world and was quite common I think we would be using it instead of science - who would buy car which consume costly fuel if you can have magical one? Even guns dont make sence since you can summon bullet from thin air and by use of telekinesis thrust it on your oponent

Edited by Chilloutman

Ooo you understand me wrong in this regard, I am all for more races/classes, I just dont like mix of real science (guns, machines) in world where people can command plants and summon deamons (exception is Arcanum which was perfect in this regard - machines overtaking magic, and it was perfectly described by lore eg. magic disrupt natural science (gravity, electricity etc) and machines not work near it)

I do understand - I think your feelings about the "issue" are exaggerated.

Some people seem to really root for a specific (or certain character concepts) and even more extreme cases such as IndiraLightFoot who just loves character creation.

I'm more of a power gamer myself and I don't really care about any specific race or class, because I see them through their mechanics rather than their appearance or lore.

You're dead on! I do adore character creation, almost obsessively. I had more fun with the pre-release DA:O character generator than the game itself.

In my many playthroughs of NWN2, I did it all: RPG light (as in a Warlock that refused to help anyone - CN taken to the extreme), RPG heavy (i.e, a van Helsing-gimped crossbow-wielding oldie-Rogue that had bad stats and equipment on purpose. MotB turned out to be really, really hard), munchkin solo builds, munchkin builds that pumped up the power in the entire party. The more races, classes, talents, skills, prestige classes, epic levels, and cross-breeds of whatever, well, the merrier in my book. What excites me the most is all the god-like combos. I really liked the Genasi in NWN2, so I won't be able to restrain myself. This game will hopefully shred all my work planning and leave me in a dark cellar with nothing but a computer and chocolate in droves 24/7! :)

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I do understand - I think your feelings about the "issue" are exaggerated.

Maybe, thats just my sense for 'atmosphere' or styling. I dont like mesh-ups. With ''you dont understand'' I meant that I dont know why you thinked that I dont like diverse classes (or more of them). On other hand I am quite looking forward to Numenera, where 'magic' and science will mix up, but settings have some interesting explanations on how those things exists

Edited by Chilloutman

Maybe, thats just my sense for 'atmosphere' or styling. I dont like mesh-ups. With ''you dont understand'' I meant that I dont know why you thinked that I dont like diverse classes (or more of them). On other hand I am quite looking forward to Numenera, where 'magic' and science will mix up, but settings have some interesting explanations on how those things exists

And the reason magic and technology shouldn't coexist in PoE is what, according to you? Basically every world experiences some progress, magic or not. Firearms are present in the game, but are rare and uncommon. Things like printing press are most notably absent. Anyway - as you said, this is just your subjective feel. I, on the other hand, like where this is going. It resembles WHFR in a way probably only I perceive.

;)