Imagine a different world in which the early Celtic culture didn't get repeatedly squashed by various empires and kingdoms. There's your Druids. As for Barbarians, Russian was invaded by the Mongols and Tatar tribes well into the early Renaissance. Chanters seem unique to this setting, unless you equate them to the Celtic Bards.

read post above

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

a little, problem is that more advanced culture should know that druids doest really cast spells are more like charlatans, which is not true in PoE settings, their magic is real and its strange that one culture would probably have in previouse era druids, shamans but for some reason stop belive in them even tho they really can cast real spells

Why do you figure the Vailians used to have druids and shamans but stopped believing in them? As far as I know, Italians or their cultural predecessors (Romans, Etruscans, Greeks) never did. They encountered Gaulish (Celtic) druids, of course, and reported on them -- just like the Vailians are (presumably) encountering Glanfathan druids.

(If you think that Renaissance people didn't believe that magicians couldn't cast real spells, by the way, you'd be mistaken. Witch trials went on looong after the Renaissance.)

Edited by PrimeJunta

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

a little, problem is that more advanced culture should know that druids doest really cast spells are more like charlatans, which is not true in PoE settings, their magic is real and its strange that one culture would probably have in previouse era druids, shamans but for some reason stop belive in them even tho they really can cast real spells

Why do you figure the Vailians used to have druids and shamans but stopped believing in them? As far as I know, Italians or their cultural predecessors (Romans, Etruscans, Greeks) never did. They encountered Gaulish (Celtic) druids, of course, and reported on them -- just like the Vailians are (presumably) encountering Glanfathan druids.

(If you think that Renaissance people didn't believe that magicians couldn't cast real spells, by the way, you'd be mistaken. Witch trials went on looong after the Renaissance.)

ok not druids but their equivalent in their culture - eg. witches, sorcerers, seers pretty much anyone able to cast spells, doubt that there is culture which didnt practised any magic. And yes witches were there many years after renesaince and people belived that they can curse them etc, but never relly seen them casting physical manifestation of it. And as I already stated before - Church make them evil devil doubling persons, if there were not Church, they would be recognized as seers, druids, shamans etc.

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I dont think they arent, but not that shamanistic primal magic, but more priest like or just clasical mage (aka mystic, astronomer etc). at least it doesnt seems like fit their culture. but I think we are getting quite OT here

Waitwait, I think we may actually be in agreement here. From where I'm at, the Priest and Wizard classes appear to fit the Vailian culture nicely, whereas the Barbarian, Chanter, and Druid are more Rauatai or Glanfathan, no?

If so, what exactly was your objection again?

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Waitwait, I think we may actually be in agreement here. From where I'm at, the Priest and Wizard classes appear to fit the Vailian culture nicely, whereas the Barbarian, Chanter, and Druid are more Rauatai or Glanfathan, no?

If so, what exactly was your objection again?

A little, i am curiouse why they would leave such culture if magic was real - no need to move to technology, thats the point. But now we are probably going into evolution discusion and its really OT :)

Anyways, back on topic. With the first game involving me planning to go gun-toting ranger, I'll be needing ideally a few meat shields, a cleric to keep them in the game, and a wizard or druid to help bombard mobs, since firearm reload speeds apparently aren't so great. In practice, this may vary, with me tailoring the party a bit to allow particularly fun/interesting characters a chance to shine.

The second, I think, will involve me playing as a Bleak Walker. So I'll be limited a bit by those willing to tolerate the brutality such a person sows in their wake. I'll be joining the fighters and barbarians in the front lines, but a chanter and a priest of a suitably dark deity to help buff them even could make for a big, ugly, mean wrecking ball. I'll also be making room for any characters who found the witty, kind-hearted character of the first playthrough unbearable, but open right up to someone who knows the best way to solve problems is to find the people responsible and teach them the meaning of pain and fear.

Edited by KillerClowns

Aspiring author, beer connoisseur, and general purpose wiseguy

@Chilloutman:

Here's the problem... Science is simply the study of the things that we know to exist to better understand them. IF magic existed, in reality, it wouldn't be separate from science. Magic is just a fictional expansion of real-world science.

That's why there are animancers in the game, and they have to actually research stuff. Even though they're "magically" infusing souls into objects. They have to study metals, and figure out formulae, etc. It's all just workings and information. Just because we can't, in the real world, manipulate souls, doesn't mean that if we could, there'd no longer be a need to study anything and figure out specific applications of stuff. Getting a soul to power some big machine is just a fictional equivalent to figuring out how to stabilize a nuclear reactor.

You're, of course, entitled to your opinion, but I dare say the basis for it seems rather arbitrary/suspect, like you've decided magic and science are somehow mortal enemies, before really considering everything.

If you don't like guns in a fantasy world, then you don't like guns in a fantasy world, but when every one of your exemplary expressions of dislike for said guns includes modern firearms that have nothing to do with the level of technology present in the world of PoE, I dare say the reason doesn't really support the conclusion.

Do you have a problem with cannons on castle walls? Because the guns in PoE are basically just tiny cannons. Do you have a problem with the merest existence of explosive powder? How about anything at all in the entire world that isn't magical? Looms? Wouldn't everyone just magically weave all the clothes?

See? It doesn't hold up. You act as though magic would just instantly solve all the world's problems, perfectly, and would always be superior to anything non-magic, yet you arbitrarily are fine with all non-magic means of doing anything besides manufacturing ballistic weaponry. That, for some reason, causes the problem.

I'm afraid I simply don't comprehend that line of reasoning.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

yeah, just settle on that i dont like guns in fantasy games :)

• Like 1

I tend to work with the following;

1 tanky melee

1 damage melee

1 archer

1 priest

1 mage

1 "flavour"

The "flavour" character varies.

In my favourite ever BG2 group that party was as follows;

Tanky - Keldorn

Damage - Gnurk (Kensai half-orc PC)

Archer - Fingolfin (Archer Elf MP-made PC)

Priest - Anomen

Mage - Imoen/Nalia

Flavour - Aerie & Haer'dalis*

*I actually ran with Aerie AND Haer'dalis but no Keldorn with Anomen filling the tanky role somewhat but that damn tiefling tried to steal my lady in Spellhold... Picked up Keldorn after getting back to Athkatla.

In general I like to play an archer but it's flavour varies. I will probably play a rogue archer for my first playthrough in PoE.

Crit happens