What is Pillars of Eternity?

Playing BG1 does give you a bit more time to get used to the mechanics, but until you hit level 3 your party will die pretty often and resurrection is pretty expensive.

Quickload isn't THAT expensive ;)

A real man takes death seriously, which I suppose makes it convenient that you're playing a fictional character.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Thanks guys, i am just an end user, all the mechanicl things just make me dizzy reading them, but i can give some ideas and suggestions, only if i have already see and experience the game my self, so for now i just wait and see the game when it released

From what i read so far i still didn't see what the game really is, The Pillars of Eternity, still have no idea what it is about

Is it about

i. a hero save the world from utter destruction?

ii. a group of awesome peoples stop a mechanism that could change everyone's fate in the world?

iii. a war between races, a hero and co try to bring peace upon the land?

iv. a hero mission to find a mysterious ancient artifact guarded by evil magicians and undead?

v. a zombie apocalyspe?

vi. a quest of seeking immortality or prevent evil guys from using the device of immortality?

Atleast for DA:I, we already know it is about The Inquisitor a survivor of the sky open up and demons poured into the world event, searching for the culprit behind Mage-Templar war

Edited by Qistina

It's likely none of the above.

We don't really know any plot details other than that it does not revolve around the protagonist trying to save the world/land/people.

I believe in the opening, the protagonist finds him/herself caught in the middle of circumstances as a bystander and things just move on from there.

At its core, PE will be a real time w pause tactical 6 party rpg hardening back to the Infinity Engine games from a decade past that will have an emphasis on fun, tactical gameplay and mature themes than your typical contemporary game with an emphasis on cinematic presentation.

Edit:

Here's again the link to the Kickstarter and their pitch: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity?ref=search

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Thanks guys, i am just an end user, all the mechanicl things just make me dizzy reading them, but i can give some ideas and suggestions, only if i have already see and experience the game my self, so for now i just wait and see the game when it released

From what i read so far i still didn't see what the game really is, The Pillars of Eternity, still have no idea what it is about

Is it about

i. a hero save the world from utter destruction?

ii. a group of awesome peoples stop a mechanism that could change everyone's fate in the world?

iii. a war between races, a hero and co try to bring peace upon the land?

iv. a hero mission to find a mysterious ancient artifact guarded by evil magicians and undead?

v. a zombie apocalyspe?

vi. a quest of seeking immortality or prevent evil guys from using the device of immortality?

Atleast for DA:I, we already know it is about The Inquisitor a survivor of the sky open up and demons poured into the world event, searching for the culprit behind Mage-Templar war

Those are some good suggestions but Obsidian has purposely not revealed too much about the main story and plot. Its more exciting this way as people wait in suspense for when the game is released :)

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The game takes place in a brand new fantasy world as-yet-unnamed world, roughly based on 16th century medieval technology levels, where magic and power is determined by the quality of a person's soul. The story takes place in a small nation in the world's southern hemisphere called the Dyrwood (DEER-wood). The Dyrwood is a heavily forested, coastal region where colonial powers from across the ocean have settled and formed an uneasy relationship with the local residents, tribes of orlans and elves who are protective of the ancient ruins of Eír Glanfath on the forest's interior. Eír Glanfath was an ancient melting pot of races that built elaborate, often massive, structures out of a living shell-like substance called adra. Though the fate of the ancient Glanfathans is unknown, their dangerous and complex ruins show evidence they possessed extensive knowledge of how souls work. For this reason, all of the surrounding colonial powers aggressively fight for the chance to explore and plunder Glanfathan structures, often bringing the local tribes into conflict with their relatively new neighbors and the neighbors into conflict with each other.

The central character in the story is a newcomer to the Dyrwood, caught up in a bizarre supernatural phenomenon. This event puts them in a difficult position, where they must explore the new world to solve a series of problems that have been thrust upon tchem.

Source: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Pillars_of_Eternity

The player witnesses an extraordinary and horrific supernatural event that thrusts them into a unique and difficult circumstance. Burdened with the consequences of this event, the player has to investigate what has happened in order to free themselves from the restless forces that follow and haunt them wherever they go.

Source: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Player

• Like 2

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Ehm, Ffordesoon , Icewind dale?

Instead of making 1 char in an unknown setting, immediately create 6... and probably pick wrong and screw yourself over?

I... don't think that's the best way to get introduced to a system.

Also, no, this isn't a BioWare game where "we save the world"... it's much more personal.

To that effect, instead of the BG's I suggest playing either

* Planescape Torment (also getting a feel for the isometric).

* Knights of the Old Republic II (if you just want the OE-feel).

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

The central character in the story is a newcomer to the Dyrwood, caught up in a bizarre supernatural phenomenon. This event puts them in a difficult position, where they must explore the new world to solve a series of problems that have been thrust upon tchem.

The player witnesses an extraordinary and horrific supernatural event that thrusts them into a unique and difficult circumstance. Burdened with the consequences of this event, the player has to investigate what has happened in order to free themselves from the restless forces that follow and haunt them wherever they go.

I see...so it is "investigation mission" themed?

Now it sound like Dragon Age : Inquisition a bit...the world is in chaos out of supernatural phenomenon and event, the Veil to the Fade torn apart, sky open up and demons comes into the world in Mage vs Templar war...the Inquisitor must investigate who is the culprit and solve the problem...either change the world to be a better place or leave it to bitter end...

Ehm, Ffordesoon , Icewind dale?

Instead of making 1 char in an unknown setting, immediately create 6... and probably pick wrong and screw yourself over?

I... don't think that's the best way to get introduced to a system.

Also, no, this isn't a BioWare game where "we save the world"... it's much more personal.

To that effect, instead of the BG's I suggest playing either

* Planescape Torment (also getting a feel for the isometric).

* Knights of the Old Republic II (if you just want the OE-feel).

Hey, I said nobody else would recommend it. :p

Hey, I said nobody else would recommend it. :p

I would, actually. Sure, you can create a party that blows chunks, but I personally feel there is a certain onus on the player to at least be familiar with the rule set on which a game is based. Having that familiarity will allow you to make at least a functional party, if not actually optimal or power-gamey. Jumping into a game and not even having a rudimentary understanding of the rule set is stupid, IMO.

It's just as easy to create a single character that sucks rocks as it is a whole party. And while you can cover yourself by recruiting effective party members, if your main character sucks you're probably not going to have fun playing it anyway. To me that would be every bit as unenjoyable (maybe moreso) than the case of making a crappy party.

I see...so it is "investigation mission" themed?

Now it sound like Dragon Age : Inquisition a bit...the world is in chaos out of supernatural phenomenon and event, the Veil to the Fade torn apart, sky open up and demons comes into the world in Mage vs Templar war...the Inquisitor must investigate who is the culprit and solve the problem...either change the world to be a better place or leave it to bitter end...

Dear Lord, I hope not!

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

You've just reduced my interest in PoE... stop that :(

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Qistina, on 26 Mar 2014 - 4:00 PM, said:snapback.png

Nope. That would be dull :)

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I think it's "deal with some manner of story in an amazing, fantasy world roughly modeled after 16th/17th century history with a party of up to 6 characters at a time, and also there's a stronghold, and lots of souls"-themed. Dunno about an investigation.

I would assume there will be investigation, but I'm not sure the entire main plot is investigation-based. There will most likely be a lot of unknown stuff that your characters are trying to know. Maybe that works for ya?

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I think it's "deal with some manner of story in an amazing, fantasy world roughly modeled after 16th/17th century history with a party of up to 6 characters at a time, and also there's a stronghold, and lots of souls"-themed. Dunno about an investigation.I would assume there will be investigation, but I'm not sure the entire main plot is investigation-based. There will most likely be a lot of unknown stuff that your characters are trying to know. Maybe that works for ya?

Well, there is going to be a party NPC who happens to be an Orlans detective.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Well, there is going to be a party NPC who happens to be an Orlans detective.

True. Qistina just seems to want a "gist of the whole game in a nutshell" description, and I'm not certain it's safe to say "the game" is going to basically be about investigation. That's all. I have no doubt investigation, in some form or fashion, will take place in the game.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Maybe it'll be a Renaissance noir. Everybody mostly just standing around after dark while it's raining, wearing wide-brimmed hats, smoking meerschaums, and glaring at each other balefully, then somebody discovers a corpse in a sea chest, with blood going slowly drip, drip, drip on the floor. And eventually somebody catches a ship and sails off into the gray North wind.

Probably not though.

• Like 4

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com