Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

Last thread

Finally got around to watching "The Croods". It's not a Pixar masterpiece or anything, but I enjoyed it. Even made me chuckle a few times. The imagery was nice to look at, too. Plus, y'know, I want one of these.

SaberCat-0002bb.jpg

• Like 5
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I loved the Lego Movie. The ending really sealed it because I was both the kid and the adult.

• Like 3
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

For reasons unknown, I never got to see "Road to Perdition" until yesterday, and what a treat it was. A true masterpiece!

Compared to Tarantino's action scenes - violent and bloody - I watched in this film perhaps the best shootout scene in the history of film, the one on the street, when it's raining, and all the umbrellas, the beautiful cars from the 1930s, the music - sheer perfection and so much finesse!

If you haven't seen it, then your in for something else. :)

• Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

But Jamie Foxx (why the two X's, Jamie, whyyyyy?)

When he created his stage name (real name Eric Bishop, IIRC), Foxx made his last name a tribute to Redd Foxx.

Redd Foxx's name (real name John Sandford) came from his early billings as "Chicago Red" (due to his reddish hair) and from baseball player Jimmie Foxx.

Jimmie Foxx came by his surname naturally, being born to farmers Dell and Mattie Foxx in Maryland.

For my purposes, I watched THE LEGO MOVIE (2014) which was a lot of fun.  The one sequence (if you've seen it) came as close to maudlin as I'd want without actually ruining the movie.

Then I watched DETECTIVE DEE AND THE MYSTERY OF THE PHANTOM FLAME (2010) which I thought was pretty good; the action/fights were well done and it was a true mystery with clues that could be figured out (I guessed the mystery - yay me!).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - The missus enjoyed this much more than I did but it was entertaining

Gallowwalkers - One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Doesn't make a lot of sense but it does end eventually

Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn - I don't care for Halo but I was in the mood for sci-fi. I enjoyed the academy bits more than the Alien invasion/Master Chief bits

Red Dawn remake - Much meh

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - The missus enjoyed this much more than I did but it was entertaining

Gallowwalkers - One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Doesn't make a lot of sense but it does end eventually

Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn - I don't care for Halo but I was in the mood for sci-fi. I enjoyed the academy bits more than the Alien invasion/Master Chief bits

Red Dawn remake - Much meh

Forward Unto Dawn impressed me because it did not look like it cost less than 10 million to make. I look at what they did on that budget and wonder why big blockbusters need 200 million.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

It's out in selected cinemas and available via streaming from a bunch of places - iTunes, amazon.com, etc.  Although that's again, only in the US at the moment.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Ender's Game - Note: I have not read the book and won't be reading the book (I do know of book...never could get into O.S.C tho).

Watching it as a movie, independent of book comparisons, the film was mildly watchable, and I'd imagine on the big-screen those battle scenes were cool to look at it. The actors, imo, all did ok/fine. But it felt a bit perfunctory/cold and I had little reason to care about this big war, the supposed enemy, and had no sense of danger or impending doom, so, y'know, in the end ... who cares. I kept thinking of Tron for some reason. Anyway, I don't regret watching it or anything. It was nice eye candy, just not emotionally engaging in any way.

Harrison Ford is beginning to really creep me out when he's on screen, tho. I'm not sure why. Maybe they put too much make up on him to try to hide that he's pretty darn old now - gives him a rubber face look? ;)

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

In my book, there is only one reason why someone will highlight that he didn't read the book, and say it was mildly watchable and that he didn't regret watching it.... i.e. people who had read the book, felt very strongly about it being crap.

ohh PLEASE say it isn't so !!!

Edited by Mor
  • Like 1

Assuming I get the jist of your post ... yes, that's usually why I emphasize I haven't read the book. Because I know a lot of people who did read the book who were so disappointed with the movie. Sometimes in the past if I didn't mention I haven't read the book, I'll often be regaled with how I should read the book, because the book explains everything so much better or whatever  - and I really don't care, since I'm talking about the movie. Heheh.

Although sometimes, I do things the other way around too - I'll say I have read the book because I'm also saying I liked the movie better than the book. :p

• Like 1

The movie is decent, though the key element missing is the political background from the book. By the end, Ender is a superweapon capable of facing any threat and winning through his sheer genius, triggering a short world war between the powers of the International Fleet.

What I liked was Asa Butterfield's performance. I felt he captured the essence of the character.

hm, in movie news..

http://screencrush.com/black-widow-solo-movie/

When previously asked about the lack of female superhero movies, Marvel chief Kevin Feige has remained diplomatic, yet non-committal. During the press tour for ‘Thor 2,’ Feige’s comments were “I’m not sure when that will be” and “we’ll see what happens.” Not exactly a ringing endorsement for a female-led Marvel movie. Apparently, things have changed over the past few months and now Feige, when asked specifically about Scarlett Johansson‘s Black Widow, said that they are actively developing her own solo movie.

Feige was speaking to Total Film about ‘Captain America 2‘ and how that film gives us Black Widow’s biggest role yet and how the upcoming ‘Avengers 2‘ will give us details about her past. He then added:

We learn more about her past and learn more about where she came from and how she became in that film. The notion of exploring that even further in her own film would be great, and we have some development work with that.

Progress!

Feige didn’t exactly make a big splashy announcement about a future film, but it’s good to hear that it’s something they want to do. The Black Widow character is almost perfect for a ‘Bourne Identity’ style spinoff and an easy transition to the first female-driven Marvel movie. Hopefully the success of that movie would open up even more doors for characters like Ms. Marvel and, even in the DC universe, Wonder Woman herself.

Considering the Phase 3 movies are all but set, we don’t see a Black Widow movie happening in the immediate future, but if Marvel really is looking at releasing four movies a year (one per quarter), they’re going to need to start thinking outside of the “Phase 3″ box and scheduling some spinoffs.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Sounds like they're keeping Black Widow trained by Winter Soldier. A spinoff would be good, I'd rather see She Hulk or Captain Marvel for a female centric film though.

Devastatorsig.jpg

They're still talking Carol "Captain Marvel" Danvers for the Avengers in the rumor mill.

I watched FIRST MEN IN THE MOON (1964) an adaption of the HG Wells story.  It was fun, but I felt the framing sequence took some of the oomph out of the story and they spent too long on Earth.

Then I watched 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH (1957) which is one of the few Ray Harryhausen films I'd never seen.  The effects work is great, seeing William Hopper (TV's Paul Drake on PERRY MASON) as the lead was a hoot (not a position he was in a lot).  And the scientific implausibilities and general ridiculousness was entertaining.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man