We didn't say anything when they came for the smokers...

Walsingham

Call me crazy, but people are stupid and sometimes need saving from themselves.

Yeah, they don't want it and it may not be right to force the issue.

But dammit is humanity stupid.

Alcohol, drugs, guns.... seems like humans can't trusted to do the right/smart thing.

Its okay Trashman. I know the right thing to do and say. I'll guide you and take that responsibility away from you so you don't need to worry anymore  :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Certainly. Making people "better" has definitely never had any negative consequences in the past.

Safe as an objective leads to walls, doors, the rule of law. Safer leads to a never ending war on drugs, terror, and the NSA.

Healthy as an objective leads to clean drinking water, trauma surgery, and fresh vegetables. Healthier leads to drinking only mineral water, colonic irrigation, and delusions of f***ing immortality.

Are you noticing a goddamn trend?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Certainly. Making people "better" has definitely never had any negative consequences in the past.

Safe as an objective leads to walls, doors, the rule of law. Safer leads to a never ending war on drugs, terror, and the NSA.

Healthy as an objective leads to clean drinking water, trauma surgery, and fresh vegetables. Healthier leads to drinking only mineral water, colonic irrigation, and delusions of f***ing immortality.

Are you noticing a goddamn trend?

That there is little difference between ideologues and idiots?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Off course it is, look how you all got riled up trying to make it seem as if it is unfair tax or unwarranted intervention by the government telling you what todo, cranking up the melodrama with compulsory camps BS.

Fact is that this is the leading preventable cause of death worldwide, with increasing rates in adults and children. Which is regarded as the most serious public health problems of the 21st century. - So, yes this is exactly the domain of the government. And like most laws, its not about baby siting you, no one can force you todo what you don't want todo, its about you paying for your owning habit.

Oh, I said something when they came for the smokers. I was the guy who quietly tipped off the men in black trench coats so they could find the smokers hiding in courtyards, alleys... and wherever they tried to hide their habits! :shifty:

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Off course it is, look how you all got riled up trying to make it seem as if it is unfair tax or unwarranted intervention by the government telling you what todo, cranking up the melodrama with compulsory camps BS.

Fact is that this is the leading preventable cause of death worldwide, with increasing rates in adults and children. Which is regarded as the most serious public health problems of the 21st century. - So, yes this is exactly the domain of the government. And like most laws, its not about baby siting you, no one can force you todo what you don't want todo, its about you paying for your owning habit.

But isn't there an argument around people who end up getting cancer through smoking being a burden on a countries healthcare system which is either funded through taxes or medical aid? So in fact you do end up paying for someone else's bad health decisions?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I shouldn't even have to make a counter-argument here. I'm not saying you chaps are fools, you just haven't thought it through.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that not getting cancer means you don't sick or die of something else. Because it still works for me.

You chaps begin by stating that anything which worsens the incidence rate should be taxed. If it is taxed it has to be monitored, and both taxation and monitoring has to be enforced.

Can you find me any aspect of human behaviour NOT implicated in cancer rates?

The logical outcome of an open-ended commitment to controlling cancer rates is total monitoring and regulation of all behaviour.

Ball to you.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

cranking up the melodrama with compulsory camps BS.

That was a joke, chief. I had hoped it was obvious. I wouldn't like to see the sort of milking machine that would be required to suck fat out of people, but I'd imagine it would be rather more dystopian than the current government would like to be involved with.

Everybody seems to be making the same argument (you should be responsible for your own actions with minimal nannying) and then getting hung up on the details.

• Like 1

Dirty deeds done cheap.

But isn't there an argument around people who end up getting cancer through smoking being a burden on a countries healthcare system which is either funded through taxes or medical aid? So in fact you do end up paying for someone else's bad health decisions?

Ofcourse, that why there is a HUGE indirect tax on cigarettes(at least here)

You chaps begin by stating that anything which worsens the incidence rate should be taxed. If it is taxed it has to be monitored, and both taxation and monitoring has to be enforced.

More like you put words in others mouth, because no one said that. Here what I said with highlights:

This is the leading preventable cause of death worldwide, with increasing rates in adults and children. Which is regarded as the most serious public health problems of the 21st century.

That isn't all you said though. You also said "look how you all got riled up trying to make it seem as if it is unfair tax or unwarranted intervention by the government telling you what todo". That, combined with the rest, most certainly logically implies that you'd tax other 'bad' stuff as well. And Walsingham is most certainly correct in that you'd have to monitor a lot of stuff to enforce the sort of system you were outlining, you'd need to regularly have people's weight and incomes at least.

• Like 1

:p 

cranking up the melodrama with compulsory camps BS.

That was a joke, chief. I had hoped it was obvious. I wouldn't like to see the sort of milking machine that would be required to suck fat out of people, but I'd imagine it would be rather more dystopian than the current government would like to be involved with.

Everybody seems to be making the same argument (you should be responsible for your own actions with minimal nannying) and then getting hung up on the details.

I have learnt on these forums that never assume people will know you are joking, try to use :biggrin: or :p to indicate a joke or a partly joking statement

John Milton 

More like you put words in others mouth, because no one said that. Here what I said with highlights:

This is the leading preventable cause of death worldwide, with increasing rates in adults and children. Which is regarded as the most serious public health problems of the 21st century.

But Wals' synthesis follows naturally from your particular example. Defeat smoking and something else will replace it as the preventable leading cause of death worldwide—this, in his view, will eternally perpetuate the mandate of those who seek to make everyone "healthier", which also connects with his "delusions of immortality" remark, before. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

What I am not so convinced of is his other assertion that everything affects cancer rates. This may be strictly true, but the extent to which this risk is relevant is what makes it suspect. I mean, your body fights cancer constantly, in your sleep. It could fail to naturally defeat it at some point, so an argument could be made that sleeping gives you cancer. This is clearly an absurd conclusion. And while I'm not more convinced than Wals than governments (and especially undemocratic, transnational bureaucracies) are exempt from reaching absurd conclusions (deliberately or by sheer disconnection from reality), I'm afraid this is a big ol' slippery slope. The amount of power and ability to regulate that states have is arbitrary and not everyone will agree exactly where the proverbial line in the sand lies. But it has to be drawn somewhere.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

But Wals' synthesis follows naturally from your particular example. Defeat smoking and something else will replace it as the preventable leading cause of death worldwide—this, in his view, will eternally perpetuate the mandate of those who seek to make everyone "healthier", which also connects with his "delusions of immortality" remark, before. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

What I am not so convinced of is his other assertion that everything affects cancer rates. This may be strictly true, but the extent to which this risk is relevant is what makes it suspect. I mean, your body fights cancer constantly, in your sleep. It could fail to naturally defeat it at some point, so an argument could be made that sleeping gives you cancer. This is clearly an absurd conclusion. And while I'm not more convinced than Wals than governments (and especially undemocratic, transnational bureaucracies) are exempt from reaching absurd conclusions (deliberately or by sheer disconnection from reality), I'm afraid this is a big ol' slippery slope. The amount of power and ability to regulate that states have is arbitrary and not everyone will agree exactly where the proverbial line in the sand lies. But it has to be drawn somewhere.

Good analysis, thanks for running with the ball.

I think I agree with your last point that this does not have to be a slippery slope. Eventually the enforcement resources would fail. But I think that point is waaaaay past where it would be good. A better option is to draw the line ourselves and state clearly what we expect, and no more. I may be misinterpreting you.

On the subject of influences, I think it's established beyond the necessity of references that diet, stress, work environment, and exercise all affect cancer. That's more than enough to be going on with.

-Elwood Blues

That isn't all you said though. You also said "look how you all got riled up trying to make it seem as if it is unfair tax or unwarranted intervention by the government telling you what todo". That, combined with the rest, most certainly logically implies that you'd tax other 'bad' stuff as well.

Uhm, yes.. the government taxes and regulate a lot of things. However, that not what you meant, you were going with demagoguery BS about 'they take our freedom, we need to put our foot down'.

Again, what I said was that: It is the governments job to address Public health issue, obesity is regarded as the most pressing issue of the century. The specific solution that I proposed for addressing this issue(which effects others and preventable through exercise of control by the individual) was incentives through taxation(direct or exemption).

And Walsingham is most certainly correct in that you'd have to monitor a lot of stuff to enforce the sort of system you were outlining, you'd need to regularly have people's weight and incomes at least.

Maybe. Though your income is already "regulated" (notice all the tax deductions), if "health" clause is added as prerequisite for deductions it can be just one more forum to fill or covered through other means like the usual medical checkups.

I think you might be interested if you do even a little digging around tax related crime. The history of revenue enforcement is almost entirely one of the revenue being cheated. North America and Northern Europe are just about the only places where its even a _culturally_ accepted norm to pay taxes. And that's only a small slice of those societies, and only for the last hundred or two hundred years.

-Elwood Blues

I think I agree with your last point that this does not have to be a slippery slope. Eventually the enforcement resources would fail. But I think that point is waaaaay past where it would be good. A better option is to draw the line ourselves and state clearly what we expect, and no more. I may be misinterpreting you.

The slippery slope works both ways, I think. There is a recorded tendency by those in power to abuse and expand their power if no resistance is encountered, but that is also an argument that can be wielded to stand against reforms that can be advantageous to society as a whole. Ideally, the people would handle their own affairs and need very little support or intervention from the state—but then again we need the state (and the rule of law entails a degree of repression) because real societies and people behave and interact in... less than ideal ways. The optimal balance... your guess is as good as mine, quite literally.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The slippery slope works both ways, I think. There is a recorded tendency by those in power to abuse and expand their power if no resistance is encountered, but that is also an argument that can be wielded to stand against reforms that can be advantageous to society as a whole. Ideally, the people would handle their own affairs and need very little support or intervention from the state—but then again we need the state (and the rule of law entails a degree of repression) because real societies and people behave and interact in... less than ideal ways. The optimal balance... your guess is as good as mine, quite literally.

I don't want to misrepresent my position. I'm an engineer at heart. My default setting is to tinker and damn the consequences. But not if it's going to result in weird mayhem. I think

What we have to keep  fixed in the spotlight of awareness is what kind of government would occur if it felt so proud and certain that it never got drunk. And wouldn't take a risk equivalent to smoking a cigarette. The answer being a bloody disaster of a government.

EDIT:

o-WINSTON-CHURCHILL-570.jpg?1

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 1

-Elwood Blues

You know as I was reading your post for some reason I thought of Sweden.

Tall blondes make me think of Sweden.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I think you might be interested if you do even a little digging around tax related crime. The history of revenue enforcement is almost entirely one of the revenue being cheated. North America and Northern Europe are just about the only places where its even a _culturally_ accepted norm to pay taxes. And that's only a small slice of those societies, and only for the last hundred or two hundred years.

so what?! this just a generic excuse not to do anything, that can be applied to anything with taxes in it or with little change to anything with crime in it...

On the subject of influences, I think it's established beyond the necessity of references that diet, stress, work environment, and exercise all affect cancer. That's more than enough to be going on with.

I don't know if you noticed, but through out this thread, I haven't mentioned cancer once. I discussed how to deal with obesity effects in general, not because one of its effects was now highlighted by the world health organization as well.

The problem with obese people is like with some smokers, who think that it wont happen to them. After all they just smoke one cigarette not a whole pack, they have been at it for years and feel fine, all that stuff about erectile dysfunction is just to scare them, they can take the chance...

Well Obesity health risk are not just for people who can't fit in a standard chair, some think that little abdominal fat is not a bigy, they are soo wrong. Also Obesity is not just cancer or heart attack(which is the most easy way to go), there is world of "fun" waiting for you...