Seriously? What the hell?

Communication, yo.  :)

They provided *more* than sufficient information for the vast majority of their supporters. 

And by vast, I mean everyone except the vanishingly tiny number of unique individuals who have somehow convinced themselves that the devs report directly to them. Which is both weird and interesting. 

Are you gonna throw rocks at me? What about now?

What about now?

C2B: No worries, mate! I reckon you're one of the true Obsidian fans here. Even though "Seriously? What the Hell?" was a short fit of nerd rage, you did indeed back down quickly. And I find it adorable that you actually care that much. It's very sweet. Obsidian should be happy to have a fan like you. We all go overboard sometimes, and in this case the entire thread got into a nerd rage mode all by itself. You're the best! :)

Yeah it was. I regret not having changed the title before it locked me out.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

The quarreling isn't even about the update it's because people ITT just don't read through what other people say, they just quickly skim over it, make an assumption and then post things based on what they thought they said.

True. Although that is the outcome of this whole update impatience. Either way, people need to calm the (*insert your favourite vulgarism*) down. Trust me, a few months back I fell into nerd rage also, and it was pointless. It's not like the end of the world. Or is it? Damn, it is, isn't it? Pack your stuff, we gotta go. Arma geddon outta here!

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I'm not sure why anybody expected an update this week. We have a two week update cycle for a while now. and they said last week that they were still running internal bata tests, so it's normal that if they find bugs, that they need to fix them first before releasing.

Relevant quotes arranged for your viewing pleasure in the chronological order they appeared (if the explanation for the delay appearing in the only thread with the upset OP isn't setting up a clear enough context):

You have forgotten this quote:

We are "beta" testing the site right now internally, and Darren is hard at work ironing out issues.

-Adam

And you have omitted the rest of the quote where, although not explicitly said, but is grammatically very heavily implied, that the reason for the delay is lack of support over Thanksgiving weekend.

Anyway, this quote is relevant to OP, but does not explain the phenomena of people rebuking OP with information disclosed after the OP has been made.

C2B: No worries, mate! I reckon you're one of the true Obsidian fans here. Even though "Seriously? What the Hell?" was a short fit of nerd rage, you did indeed back down quickly. And I find it adorable that you actually care that much. It's very sweet. Obsidian should be happy to have a fan like you. We all go overboard sometimes, and in this case the entire thread got into a nerd rage mode all by itself. You're the best! :)

Actually I think you're the best, you always seem so pleasant, informative and reasonable :thumbsup:

Now guys I'll  tell you what I am a little concerned about is that we still don't have definitive information around the implementation of Romance in PE. Surly that's more important than the silly backer portal? Lets focus more on getting  Romance information and forget the other stuff...who is with me !!!! :wowey:

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Because it was the reason THEN? But they found bugs LATER? Do you follow this or do you need a drawing?

Exactly:

We found out this Sunday night that the site was not going to be ready to go because of a few issues that came up.  We didn't feel confident in fixing and testing the issues in one day before going live. Because we had some extra time I gave Justin Bell the go ahead to do some additional polish work. We want this thing to go out just as much as all of you, and I understand why you are upset. Thank you all for being patient.

Now, will you guys stop arguing?

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Are you waiting for a dev quote explicitly stating this? You won't get it, because there is no such quote. What there is, is a logical implication. But judging from your posts, that's not for someone like you.

Where is the logical implication? There isn't one, logical or otherwise. Last week Obsidian stated the site wouldn't be up. Full Stop. That's it.

There hasn't been any other news that the site would be up a week later. All we have is nerd raging, threads being created and people like yourself saying, 'oh but there's a logical implication' where there is none. The only logical implications are those people who create them in their own fantasy reality.

We're not even talking about the same thing and that's the reason why this thread is, like it is.

I loathe to put more time into this thread. It's lost all of its venting steam purpose a long time ago and it's not making anyone look good.

And you have omitted the rest of the quote where, although not explicitly said, but is grammatically very heavily implied, that the reason for the delay is lack of support over Thanksgiving weekend.

Anyway, this quote is relevant to OP, but does not explain the phenomena of people rebuking OP with information disclosed after the OP has been made.

Because it was the reason THEN? But they found bugs LATER? Do you follow this or do you need a drawing?

And we were told that they found the bugs later AFTER the OP has been made. Keep your macaroni pictures of potatoes for yourself, cupcake.

So, I've been to the dreaded BioWare forums of Swtor, filled with dread, hate and rage...

And coming back to my trusted OE-boards, I see more flame, hatred, and mistrust than I saw there.

It made me go all;

"Seriously? What the hell?"

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

And we were told that they found the bugs later AFTER the OP has been made. 

Meanwhile, we're still struggling to understand why the OP was made in the first place. 

"For no readily apparent reason" is not a reason. 

*Love the use of the word "disclosed" by the way. Maintains the high level of conspiracy nuttiness we've come to know and love. 

What about now?

I regret not having changed the title before it locked me out.

C2B: No worries, mate! I reckon you're one of the true Obsidian fans here. Even though "Seriously? What the Hell?" was a short fit of nerd rage, you did indeed back down quickly. And I find it adorable that you actually care that much. It's very sweet. Obsidian should be happy to have a fan like you. We all go overboard sometimes, and in this case the entire thread got into a nerd rage mode all by itself. You're the best! :)

Actually I think you're the best, you always seem so pleasant, informative and reasonable :thumbsup:

C2B: I'm actually happy you didn't in a way, because some of the posts here have been hilarious!

BruceVC: Thank you! :)

I'll try to live up to all that in my posts from here on, but I'm afraid you'll still have to take my sometimes childish and rash humour.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

3. C2B, me (I'm not upset, but I am ~creating drama~) and sesobebo. That's it :p

hey, i'm only here because i've been naiive enough to think that hiro protagonist honestly couldn't see what c2b was calling the devs out on. it won't happen again.

as disappointed that i am, that the backer's portal has been delayed yet again, this wouldn't warrant a commnet from me, because:

a) i believe the devs - as adam has said - want to see this portal get up as much (if not more) as we do.

b) even if their posts on forums were misleading, i am certain they were not misleading on purpose.

That's the reason devs should not give any info to the community. Some shmuck gives like 10$ and he's acting like an appointed ruler of the place.

now, who's being dramatic? ((:

And we were told that they found the bugs later AFTER the OP has been made. 

Meanwhile, we're still struggling to understand why the OP was made in the first place. 

"For no readily apparent reason" is not a reason. 

*Love the use of the word "disclosed" by the way. Maintains the high level of conspiracy nuttiness we've come to know and love. 

If, after 5 pages, you can not find a single probable reason, there's really nothing I can do or say, but stand in awe.

Disclose: to make (something) known to the public

English is not my first language, so I don't know any other or more appropriate words for making something previously unknown known to the public. I'm not interested in conspiracy nuttiness you've gone and love, so I don't know what the CT jargon is. With my limited vocabulary I just have to refuse having words taken hostage.

Point being: if you're accusing someone of malicious intent – "deception" –, I would expect you to provide evidence for that malicious intent, and I would expect that malicious intent is the most likely explanation for that evidence, rather than just confusion, human error, miscommunication (internal or external) or whatever. I would also like to hear some remotely plausible theory as to why they'd want to be "deceptive" about this sort of thing. I.e., under what possible circumstances is it to their advantage to intentionally lie about the release date of their backer portal?

Short version: put down the shovel and climb out.

Alright, here's my conspiracy theory.

Obsidian always planned to release the backer website before Thanksgiving, that was their plan. It was evident in coffeetable's screencap of the preview of the website where the date for the cutoff of pledge changes was the last day of November. (November 31st not even a real date, and one of the bugs in the site).

Ever since they hired Brandon Adler as Producer most of the devs took a step back with their community management and handed it all off to him. Before this you had Chris Avellone, Josh Sawyer and co. posting on their twitter accounts and in the forums they are active on whether there would be an update or not. This worked just fine until the skips in their update schedule starting in October, where we went for a month without an update and during the second week from the announcement made in the Announcements forum people were disappointed at the lack of an update, but more importantly not knowing about it beforehand, as there was no communication between the devs and the fans during this time until good guy Adam Brennecke came onto the forums to inform the fans that there would not be an update that week either. To make up for it he did some Q&As on the two following friday nights in the thread while he was staying back late to work on the game. People such as C2B stayed up all night waiting for the update and felt that they should have received prior warning so that they did not waste their time doing so, being one of the main community activists regarding the flow of information, there is a wealth of people like C2B who collect information about Project Eternity from the devs various personal sites and forums, trawl google news and do custom searches to find out information - thus bringing this information to the collective. This is the reason why some people take a special disappointment from such a lack of communication especially since it was there during pre-pro.

Obsidian slowly started to realize through beta testing the backer portal that they would not be able to release a relatively-bug free backer website in time for the planned Thanksgiving update. It is possible that they gave Darren the benefit of the doubt up until the last moment, but come the 9:00AM meeting on the morn of November 26, they were informed that the bugs were not fixed so they would not be able to release the website on the planned date. Some members of the team felt that this would cause unrest among the fans so a PR spin was placed on Update 68 to try and avoid the storm. Using careful wording, Obsidian stated that they would not have the support staff available over the weekend to deal with any potential problems with the backer site, avoiding the statement that it was still buggy and not ready for release.

It is unknown when Obsidian decided against releasing the backer portal on November 26, but the communication about this only passed to the community an hour or so before the update as once again, good guy Adam Brennecke returned to the forums to enlighten the community on Obsidian's decision, when no other dev took it upon themselves to do so. This caused many fans to become disgruntled with Obsidian forum member Sensuki, another member of the collective of Project Eternity information gatherers who started a thread hyping up the countdown to the big update as a throwback to the nostalgia of the Kickstarter campaign, which many fellow members embraced whether they posted or not. The miscommunication by Obsidian caused white knighting forum members to take out their frustration on Sensuki for posting the countdown thread too early, when he was going by the last known official information. It is Obsidian's responsibility to communicate changes in the schedule to the community, and in postponing the relay of this information until the very last minute they created this confusion.

Adam did however mention that the site was still being beta tested, giving the impression to the people who read his post that the site was not ready yet. RPGCodex member Roguey was the first to accuse Obsidian of being partially untruthful in her posts in the RPGCodex Project Eternity Mega Thread and stated that if they did not post the website early the following week then it definitely wasn't ready, shielding herself in pessimism to protect herself from disappointment as she like many others longed for gameplay footage of the game.

Other people were not convinced and in the early hours of the following Tuesday, the internet forums started to stir with posts from optimistic backers hoping that the backer website was ready to go and they would at last, be able to upgrade their pledge, watch the long awaited gameplay footage and finally be fulfilled. RPGCodex members started rolling dice based on the chance. C2B having not seen Adam Brennecke's previous post was sure the update would be today, he believed in Obsidian, his favourite developer, that their statement was true - the backer website was ready to go - it was Tuesday, it would be today.

Alas much to his disappointment, good guy Adam Brennecke stumbled upon the hype thread after reading some new posts on the forums, only to inform the community once again that the Backer Portal was not ready. The internet sighed. Roguey was ecstatic, Obsidian had once again lived up to her expectations that they are beneath her one and only, Josh Sawyer, the shining light of RPG development, the man that can do no wrong. She had successfully shielded herself from disappointment once again. C2B however was not so lucky - his favourite RPG developer had let him down. All of those hours that he put into the community gathering information, championing their cause, what were they for if they could not properly communicate to him the situation, he had cancelled his plans to stay up for the big Project Eternity update only to find that it was once again not ready.

He felt betrayed, so immediately he posted a thread titled "Seriously? What the hell?" to convey his disappointment, his feeling of betrayal. The PR spin on Update 68 did not sit well with Obsidians #1 fan.

Hope you enjoyed the read ;)

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 20

If, after 5 pages, you can not find a single probable reason, there's really nothing I can do or say, but stand in awe.

Well... no, quite frankly. I can still not glean a single, solitary valid reason for hissy-fitting. The launch of a beta-status ancillary service was delayed. This was neither notable or sufficiently important to warrant the hilarious amount of butt-hurt it produced. 

For the record, and just to put this into perspective, the devs do not report to us. There is no process-flow project item labeled "before doing anything, be sure to contact HeroNeck and let him/her/it know what our decision was!".

Therefore, it follows, that should they not do so, anyone who gets their knickers all knotted over the *perceived* slight is not processing the world in a normal manner. :) 

What about now?

Point being: if you're accusing someone of malicious intent – "deception" –, I would expect you to provide evidence for that malicious intent, and I would expect that malicious intent is the most likely explanation for that evidence, rather than just confusion, human error, miscommunication (internal or external) or whatever. I would also like to hear some remotely plausible theory as to why they'd want to be "deceptive" about this sort of thing. I.e., under what possible circumstances is it to their advantage to intentionally lie about the release date of their backer portal?

Short version: put down the shovel and climb out.

Alright, here's my conspiracy theory.

Obsidian always planned to release the backer website before Thanksgiving, that was their plan. It was evident in coffeetable's screencap of the preview of the website where the date for the cutoff of pledge changes was the last day of November. (November 31st not even a real date, and one of the bugs in the site).

Ever since they hired Brandon Adler as Producer most of the devs took a step back with their community management and handed it all off to him. Before this you had Chris Avellone, Josh Sawyer and co. posting on their twitter accounts and in the forums they are active on whether there would be an update or not. This worked just fine until the skips in their update schedule starting in October, where we went for a month without an update and during the second week from the announcement made in the Announcements forum people were disappointed at the lack of an update, but more importantly not knowing about it beforehand, as there was no communication between the devs and the fans during this time until good guy Adam Brennecke came onto the forums to inform the fans that there would not be an update that week either. To make up for it he did some Q&As on the two following friday nights in the thread while he was staying back late to work on the game. People such as C2B stayed up all night waiting for the update and felt that they should have received prior warning so that they did not waste their time doing so, being one of the main community activists regarding the flow of information, there is a wealth of people like C2B who collect information about Project Eternity from the devs various personal sites and forums, trawl google news and do custom searches to find out information - thus bringing this information to the collective. This is the reason why some people take a special disappointment from such a lack of communication especially since it was there during pre-pro.

Obsidian slowly started to realize through beta testing the backer portal that they would not be able to release a relatively-bug free backer website in time for the planned Thanksgiving update. It is possible that they gave Darren the benefit of the doubt up until the last moment, but come the 9:00AM meeting on the morn of November 26, they were informed that the bugs were not fixed so they would not be able to release the website on the planned date. Some members of the team felt that this would cause unrest among the fans so a PR spin was placed on Update 68 to try and avoid the storm. Using careful wording, Obsidian stated that they would not have the support staff available over the weekend to deal with any potential problems with the backer site, avoiding the statement that it was still buggy and not ready for release.

It is unknown when Obsidian decided against releasing the backer portal on November 26, but the communication about this only passed to the community an hour or so before the update as once again, good guy Adam Brennecke returned to the forums to enlighten the community on Obsidian's decision, when no other dev took it upon themselves to do so. This caused many fans to become disgruntled with Obsidian forum member Sensuki, another member of the collective of Project Eternity information gatherers who started a thread hyping up the countdown to the big update as a throwback to the nostalgia of the Kickstarter campaign, which many fellow members embraced whether they posted or not. The miscommunication by Obsidian caused white knighting forum members to take out their frustration on Sensuki for posting the countdown thread too early, when he was going by the last known official information. It is Obsidian's responsibility to communicate changes in the schedule to the community, and in postponing the relay of this information until the very last minute they created this confusion.

Adam did however mention that the site was still being beta tested, giving the impression to the people who read his post that the site was not ready yet. RPGCodex member Roguey was the first to accuse Obsidian of being partially untruthful in her posts in the RPGCodex Project Eternity Mega Thread and stated that if they did not post the website early the following week then it definitely wasn't ready, shielding herself in pessimism to protect herself from disappointment as she like many others longed for gameplay footage of the game.

Other people were not convinced and in the early hours of the following Tuesday, the internet forums started to stir with posts from optimistic backers hoping that the backer website was ready to go and they would at last, be able to upgrade their pledge, watch the long awaited gameplay footage and finally be fulfilled. RPGCodex members started rolling dice based on the chance. C2B having not seen Adam Brennecke's previous post was sure the update would be today, he believed in Obsidian, his favourite developer, that their statement was true - the backer website was ready to go - it was Tuesday, it would be today.

Alas much to his disappointment, good guy Adam Brennecke stumbled upon the hype thread after reading some new posts on the forums, only to inform the community once again that the Backer Portal was not ready. The internet sighed. Roguey was ecstatic, Obsidian had once again lived up to her expectations that they are beneath her one and only, Josh Sawyer, the shining light of RPG development, the man that can do no wrong. She had successfully shielded herself from disappointment once again. C2B however was not so lucky - his favourite RPG developer had let him down. All of those hours that he put into the community gathering information, championing their cause, what were they for if they could not properly communicate to him the situation, he had cancelled his plans to stay up for the big Project Eternity update only to find that it was once again not ready.

He felt betrayed, so immediately he posted a thread titled "Seriously? What the hell?" to convey his disappointment, his feeling of betrayal. The PR spin on Update 68 did not sit well with Obsidians #1 fan.

Hope you enjoyed the read ;)

That was a good  read, eloquent and well structured :) 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

hey, i'm only here because i've been naiive enough to think that hiro protagonist honestly couldn't see what c2b was calling the devs out on. it won't happen again.

as disappointed that i am, that the backer's portal has been delayed yet again, this wouldn't warrant a commnet from me, because:

a) i believe the devs - as adam has said - want to see this portal get up as much (if not more) as we do.

b) even if their posts on forums were misleading, i am certain they were not misleading on purpose.

And what was C2B calling the dev's out on? The dev's said last week the portal wouldn't be up and gave no indication when it would be up since last week.

Keep believing that conspiracy theory that the dev's are misleading the community. There's been no posts that says they have.

And what was C2B calling the dev's out on? The dev's said last week the portal wouldn't be up and gave no indication when it would be up since last week.

Keep believing that conspiracy theory that the dev's are misleading the community. There's been no posts that says they have.

Read Sensuki's post, try to understand it, then we all abandon this thread. 

Sensuki, great post. Also highlights that it's not only nerd rage here.

Elan_song.gif

Obsidian slowly started to realize through beta testing the backer portal that they would not be able to release a relatively-bug free backer website in time for the planned Thanksgiving update.

Correct. Hence the update last week telling us.

It is possible that they gave Darren the benefit of the doubt up until the last moment, but come the 9:00AM meeting on the morn of November 26, they were informed that the bugs were not fixed so they would not be able to release the website on the planned date. Some members of the team felt that this would cause unrest among the fans so a PR spin was placed on Update 68 to try and avoid the storm.

Pure speculation. No facts at all. Believe that conspiracy theory.

The miscommunication by Obsidian caused white knighting forum members to take out their frustration on Sensuki for posting the countdown thread too early, when he was going by the last known official information. It is Obsidian's responsibility to communicate changes in the schedule to the community, and in postponing the relay of this information until the very last minute they created this confusion.

No miscommunication. And no white knighting at all. Just pointing out errors in your posts. Not hard to do when a lot of it is speculation. And the last official Update from last week said the site wouldn't be up and no indication when it would be up. All you did was create a thread, speculate and jumped the gun.

Interesting that you call others petty names like white knights when you yourself said in this very thread, no need for petty callouts either.  Looks like you can dish it out but can't take it. Keep playing that victim card with the forum having a go at poor sensuki (because he gets his posts wrong).

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II