Seriously? What the hell?

Hey, everyone. We decided against releasing the Backer Portal right before the holiday break. We wanted to make sure that we had a full staff on board to solve any technical issues that might arise on the site during its launch. We are just as excited as you are for the Backer Portal and we want to make sure it has a smooth release.

He means that they didn't want to admit that the backer website wasn't ready yet and instead glossed over that fact with the 'need staff available' explanation.

Roguey was probably the first person to call them out on it.

I wouldn't go as far as to call them liars. Maybe they really ran into problems they didn't anticipate. I find the accusation of devs lying to their fans always to be a bit off. Devs aren't politicians that need to be called out. They want to make a cool product and earn their money with it. I see no critical part here. Devs aren't betraying or lying to anyone. (Edit: that may sound naive, but I really think there's no real reason to lie about something)

Edited by SophosTheWise

Elan_song.gif

Can you show us where they lied to us?

the last week's update stated that the reason the site (and the major update with it) hasn't gone up is that they don't want to have technicians on holiday in case anything goes wrong with the site.

this might have been the case, but it clearly was not the only reason - major omited reason being that the site was not ready.

from where i'm looking, being misleading is about the nicest thing that can be said.

the last week's update stated that the reason the site (and the major update with it) hasn't gone up is that they don't want to have technicians on holiday in case anything goes wrong with the site.

this might have been the case, but it clearly was not the only reason - major omited reason being that the site was not ready.

from where i'm looking, being misleading is about the nicest thing that can be said.

They didn't lie to us. Still waiting.

adam said that there're still technical issues they're running into. seriously guys, back down. all this talk about lying to the fan base is way overboard. they're doing their jobs and it's done when it's done.

Still, I think especially the backers have some sort of ethical (of course not legal) right to know one thing or two. A bit more communication wouldn't hurt anyone. I know we've discussed this before.

• Like 3

Elan_song.gif

The OP might be taking things a little overboard but he does have a point.

All he is saying is that if they knew that the site wasn't ready that they should have said that. And I think that's fair.

Pretty much.

While I am also looking forward to the big update, backer portal, gameplay video, etc. just like everyone else, I don't think an outrage isn't warranted. Bugs pop up and cause delays, what can you do? Let's look at the big picture, Obsidian is working towards making P:E. That's their main focus. All the guys and gals have other work to do in addition to the updates and portal, and those others tasks are prioritized. I enjoy reading the updates and I'd like to increase my initial pledge, but I'd prefer the development process to be as smooth and efficient as possible resulting in a better end product. I.e. I would prefer the development team to allocate resources to the most critical tasks to ensure a successful project. I'm sure everyone working on P:E wants to do their best (it's their job after all) and I don't see what they'd benefit from lying and deception when it comes to this matter. I will give them the benefit of a doubt in a situation like this, where there is no evidence of any wrong-doing.

• Like 1

I believe they were lying all the time about this game too. Yeah, they're not making an IE style rpg! They're working on a goddamn fps! Who are they fooling? I believe that's why they postponed the update!

Ok let's get serious. I believe if they were about to make ths update 100% before thanksgiving they'd announced it here on this site as na official statement not somewhere in game banshee or wherever. I didn't believe they'd make it even before christmas tbh. So unless an official statemnt is made here in this site I don't consider it certain, so I see no lies either.

Adam's excuse was lame? Was it even an excuse? Who knows. Thing is, when no update is shown people should go on with their day instead of acting as if it was the most important thing in their lives.

His post wasn't about the delay it was about the (slight) dishonesty in the official update. I don't think anyone is going to go OMG WTF TO THE PITCHFORKS if they said "Sorry guys the backer site isn't quite ready yet, still doing some bug fixing" in the official updates - they will probably do exactly that next week except they might have a nice music update ready to go to keep everyone happy.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

perhaps they hoped to get the backer portal ready. perhaps the art update suffered from bad wording. or perhaps they don't want the fans to get worried because they tend to weight every single word in gold. whatever the case, it doesn't really matter and i doubt that the devs tried to fool us with intent. there was talk about problems with the site and we all know that the big update has to be simply perfect to drive in a ****load of new backers.

No dishonesty. There was always going to be a delay and the only people disappointed are those who speculate and make threads time and again by getting peoples hopes up by suggesting the big update will be this week. And then when it isn't, they make another thread a week or so later saying this week will be the big update.

I even made a post months ago that it will take some months to do this site, hopefully before Christmas.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

I believe they were lying all the time about this game too. Yeah, they're not making an IE style rpg! They're working on a goddamn fps! Who are they fooling? I believe that's why they postponed the update!

Ok let's get serious. I believe if they were about to make ths update 100% before thanksgiving they'd announced it here on this site as na official statement not somewhere in game banshee or wherever. I didn't believe they'd make it even before christmas tbh. So unless an official statemnt is made here in this site I don't consider it certain, so I see no lies either.

Adam's excuse was lame? Was it even an excuse? Who knows. Thing is, when no update is shown people should go on with their day instead of acting as if it was the most important thing in their lives.

They did? Read Sensuki's post again. That WAS them.

What are you talking about. The excuse last week is ok on its own. Great even. The problem is that it looses credibility in light of this weeks. If they weren't ready they should have said so. No problem. They didn't though and thats the dishonest part for me and the part that disappoints me.

(I don't even really care about the update itself)

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

I believe if they were about to make ths update 100% before thanksgiving they'd announced it here on this site as na official statement not somewhere in game banshee or wherever. 

It was an official announcement.

• Like 2

Elan_song.gif

No dishonesty. There was always going to be a delay and the only people disappointed are those who speculate and make threads time and again by getting peoples hopes up by suggesting the big update will be this week. And then when it isn't, they make another thread a week or so later saying this week will be the big update.

I am the only person who posted about the Big Update being on Thanksgiving, because they said it would be. They only mentioned it was going to be delayed an hour or so before they posted the smaller update instead. Some people may have taken that with a grain of salt, but Obsidian did intend to post the update on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.

A lot of people didn't even read the update properly.

I'm not even really disappointed about there not being an update, as I said I don't care if it's next year. There's no need for white knighting or petty callouts either.

I made a similar thread way back during the Kickstarter campaign for the Environment Art screenshot update - which was delivered on time, when they said it would be and I thought it would be a good callback to the Kickstarter campaign nostalgia to do one for the gameplay video, we didn't know the content was going to be delayed until hours before the update was posted.

That isn't my fault, because with the information I had it was the correct date, kind of like if someone posted an official message that a meeting was going to be on a certain night/time and you rock up early only to find that it's been cancelled. What can you do ?

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

I am the only person who posted about the Big Update being on Thanksgiving, because they said it would be. They only mentioned it was going to be delayed an hour or so before they posted the smaller update instead. Some people may have taken that with a grain of salt, but Obsidian did intend to post the update on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.

I'm not even really disappointed about there not being an update, as I said I don't care if it's next year. But it seems I do have to correct people who seem to lack reading comprehension such as yourself.

And they posted in the previous update that the site wouldn't be up. That's fine with me and goes with what I said months ago. I was very doubtful it would be up and still think it 'might' be up before Christmas.

Oh and obligatory BISIMG for the drama queens.

hvxx5w.jpg

• Like 1

It's not lying if it wasn't known. If you tell someone you'll go jogging with them tomorrow, then it ends up raining tomorrow, and you end up not going jogging, you didn't lie. Circumstances simply altered the results of your intentions.

Is it lame to think we're getting a big update, then find out we're not? Life includes delays. Insisting that Obsidian intentionally lied to us and should be able to accurately foresee the future is neither going to eliminate the delay nor make you feel any better.

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'm not even really disappointed about there not being an update, as I said I don't care if it's next year. But it seems I do have to correct people who seem to lack reading comprehension such as yourself.

And they posted in the previous update that the site wouldn't be up. That's fine with me and goes with what I said months ago. I was very doubtful it would be up and still think it 'might' be up before Christmas.

Fine with me too. If you remember from that thread I was the one ranting against people demanding the backer website early.

What's important to me is good and honest communication.

If I seez bull**** I call it. (Addmintingly a bit theatralic, but I do enjoy the drama queen)

You didn't post anything about it between Update 66 (when they 'announced' the date) and 68.

It's not lying if it wasn't known. If you tell someone you'll go jogging with them tomorrow, then it ends up raining tomorrow, and you end up not going jogging, you didn't lie. Circumstances simply altered the results of your intentions.

Adam did post that the site wasn't quite done yet on the forums shortly after Brandon's official update post. So the fact that it wasn't ready was omitted from the update itself.

Edited by Sensuki