Sensible lootdrops please

Please make lootdrops sensible.

It is rather silly when I kill a rat and it drops a greatsword or an armour. I can understand a wolf accidentaly swallowing a few coins or gems when devouring a victim and accidentaly his purse, but a rat carrying anything is really immersionbreaking. You can skin a wolf or bear for a pelt, but I don't see it carrying weapons or armour (meant for humanoids).

Another pet peeve is finding a "recent" book or a fresh potion in a crypt that has been closed off for hundreds or thousands of years. I don't want to find a "recent" text in a place where noone has been for years, like the ruins of the Creator Race in NWN1. Skyrim took this to extremes. Finding fresh vegetables in the back of a crypt teeming with highlevel undead is really jarring. Foodofferings at graves/crypts are and were not uncommon in real life but usually at the stone or door.

• Like 5

Multiple threads on this subject. nearly all of the loot is going to be handplaced, as confirmed in updates and forum posts by devs. One in the top 5 threads on the Gameplay & Mechanics board. Where you posted this new thread. Without looking at the "Random loot or fixed drops from certain mobs?" thread. http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64505-random-loot-or-fixed-drops-from-certain-mobs/ A thread which includes developer responses confirming the situation.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 5

You can skin a wolf or bear for a pelt, but I don't see it carrying weapons or armour (meant for humanoids).

What about a hard-placed/random (singular) Bear with hard-placed loot such as armor? "Yucky Armor" or, in the case of a Wolf, "Shredded Boot". If you take it to a Blacksmith who then can do some maintanence you'd get some rare or semi-rare equipment which in turn could lead to some drama "That's my son's Armor!" if you wear it whilst running around in towns. See, it can make sense when more context and content has been added to it.

Hard-placed loot per-monster/race/class/status? (All Bandits drop Leather Armor for instance) A rat would not drop leather armor, and would probably be considered a bug if it did.

• Like 1

Multiple threads on this subject. nearly all of the loot is going to be handplaced, as confirmed in updates and forum posts by devs. One in the top 5 threads on the Gameplay & Mechanics board. Where you posted this new thread. Without looking at the "Random loot or fixed drops from certain mobs?" thread. http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64505-random-loot-or-fixed-drops-from-certain-mobs/ A thread which includes developer responses confirming the situation.

This thread is actually about the sensibility of the loot, rather than the nature of its placement.

So, yes, while the threads are related, this is not a direct duplicate.

Maybe ease up a bit? *shrug*

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

@AGX-17

I don't talk about enchanted items or every humanoid enemy dropping his full gear or not. I just don't want silly drops, as in no greatswords from rats, no skeletons with vegetables or yesterdays newspaper.

This implies you earnestly believe that Obsidian's designers will knowingly and willingly place +8 enchanted swords of enchantment in the bodies of sewer rats. Why are you even here? Also there is a quote function.

Edited by AGX-17

I can understand not reading the updates because they are not organized particularly well, but this topic is a non-issue. PE is not Diablo 3, loot will be hand placed, and unless the rat is gigantic, a wererat, or something else supernatural it will not have a greatsword or armor on it.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Hence his second, Skyrim example, in which things were still handplaced (foodstuffs) in a crypt, but ended up being pretty infeasible, because of their infini-freshness. An example which everyone seems to be ignoring, as if the sole, specific purpose of this thread was to ensure that rats, specifically, neither wield nor drop greatswords, specifically. Because that wasn't just an example of loot impracticality or anything.

Is this the single most important thread on the planet? Perhaps not. But that's hardly a reason to pretend it's pointless.

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

"well aged potion of drunkenness" (this wine is 400 years old, and should have quite the kick!)

-10 perception -1 constitution -1 agility , poison for 2 minutes

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Actually a skeleton having yesterdays newspaper is perfectly legitimate depending on how he died :p

Like has been stated, all "important" loot is hand placed and random loot is going to come in from a table based on the loot container.  Be it a rat, a brigand, or a old barrel.

:trollface on:

nooooo

i want to kill a rat and have it drop the "sword that can kill even god in one hit".

i want to kill a wolf and drop the "armor that nulifies all damage"

i want to kill a cat and drop the "M-60 with infinite uranium tiped, HE bullets"

:trollface off:

seriously now i prefer IE style loot. an enemy has certain equipment and a few consumables, when he dies you can get what he has on him and any consumables he did not use. i understand rats, wolves and such droping nothing, but i dont like killing a guy with a sword, a bow, a shield and a set of full plate mail, and having him drop a... bag of coins and the rest of what he has on him just disapears. it's fine for hack n slash diablo like games, but not for a game that follows the IE style

• Like 2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Of course the problem then became, especially in Throne of Bhaal, that those items sell for thousands of gold, ruining any kind of economy.

Hopefully the dropped items in PE wont go that insane though.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Of course the problem then became, especially in Throne of Bhaal, that those items sell for thousands of gold, ruining any kind of economy.

To be fair by that point in throne of bhaal your character was supposed to be pushing "epic" levels, have obscene amounts of power, and be near godlike in stature.  I would think being rich would be the least of the things they would have to brag about.

not every enemy will have an enchanted weapon or armor on him that is worth a small fortune. in BG 1+2, most common enemies had simple weapons and armors that would sell for 1-10g each so it was useless colecting them. even in ToB the bulk of cannon fodder troops had non magical stuff with 0 comercial value. the only non enchanted thing that still had value after a while were non magical plate and full plate armors, but they were heavy and hard to carry around

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

seriously now i prefer IE style loot. an enemy has certain equipment and a few consumables, when he dies you can get what he has on him and any consumables he did not use. i understand rats, wolves and such droping nothing, but i dont like killing a guy with a sword, a bow, a shield and a set of full plate mail, and having him drop a... bag of coins and the rest of what he has on him just disapears. it's fine for hack n slash diablo like games, but not for a game that follows the IE style

Speaking of that... I realize that you don't really have any way of knowing, before looting someone, how many of some concealed item they were carrying, but, it would be great to have some kind of consistency in wht the combatant actually HAD and what you find on them. For example, if an enemy goblin drinks 2 healing potions in combat, you probably should be less likely to find healing potions on him (because he used some) than on a different goblin who was killed before he had time to drink any potions.

There are other issues floating around this: I hate when enemies have infinite consumables in combat, and I hate it when an enemy drops like 17 usable consumables, but never used a one of them during that 7-minute fight. It just doesn't make any sense, and there are plenty of other methods by which to deliver the loot you intend for the player to have, without nonsensically putting it into an incompetent goblin's pocket. An enemy mage shouldn't run around with 5 fireball scrolls in his pack, then just run around casting acid bolt the whole battle, even while he and all his buddies are slaughtered. But, also, he shouldn't cast fireball 17 times, only to then die and reveal that fireball was nowhere in his spellbook, but you find 17 fireball scrolls on him, etc.

Again, yeah, maybe he just had THAT many scrolls, but... at a certain point, that's pretty infeasible. You're not going to have someone with 50-readied full-health restoring potions. That's nonsensical on so many levels.

Anywho... I think enemy inventory integrity would be awesome (even if half of it's behind-the-scenes.)

• Like 1

"Lootdrops" is a mere "t" from something really nasty. :wacko:

Sorry, guys. I couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

What? I can't solve this riddle. I think if I've seen sounding and split ****s, I should have heard of this if it was that disgusting.

P.S. You are responsible for any derailment. You are Pandora and you have opened the box. I will not be held accountable for any personal physical or mental harm that befalls anyone as a result.

Edited by AGX-17

if something is suitably overpowered, it should simply be unsellable. No merchant would touch it.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Speaking of that... I realize that you don't really have any way of knowing, before looting someone, how many of some concealed item they were carrying, but, it would be great to have some kind of consistency in wht the combatant actually HAD and what you find on them. For example, if an enemy goblin drinks 2 healing potions in combat, you probably should be less likely to find healing potions on him (because he used some) than on a different goblin who was killed before he had time to drink any potions.

There are other issues floating around this: I hate when enemies have infinite consumables in combat, and I hate it when an enemy drops like 17 usable consumables, but never used a one of them during that 7-minute fight. It just doesn't make any sense, and there are plenty of other methods by which to deliver the loot you intend for the player to have, without nonsensically putting it into an incompetent goblin's pocket. An enemy mage shouldn't run around with 5 fireball scrolls in his pack, then just run around casting acid bolt the whole battle, even while he and all his buddies are slaughtered. But, also, he shouldn't cast fireball 17 times, only to then die and reveal that fireball was nowhere in his spellbook, but you find 17 fireball scrolls on him, etc.

Again, yeah, maybe he just had THAT many scrolls, but... at a certain point, that's pretty infeasible. You're not going to have someone with 50-readied full-health restoring potions. That's nonsensical on so many levels.

Anywho... I think enemy inventory integrity would be awesome (even if half of it's behind-the-scenes.)

i dont know about how many potions or arrows or scrolls or anything else he has, but i can see he has a sword, a shield, an armor and has used a bow for a bit... this means i can take these 4 items off his corpse when i kill him (if i want them), an any loot system that arbitrarily prevents me from doing so by presenting me a bag with something random, should be kept for diablo style games only

• Like 2

-Teknoman2-

i dont know about how many potions or arrows or scrolls or anything else he has, but i can see he has a sword, a shield, an armor and has used a bow for a bit... this means i can take these 4 items off his corpse when i kill him (if i want them), an any loot system that arbitrarily prevents me from doing so by presenting me a bag with something random, should be kept for diablo style games only

Agreed. I wasn't suggesting it should ONLY be applied to consumables.

Or worse, added at the start 'cause "DLC"

:facepalm:

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

More worried about ludicrously overpowered hand placed stuff easily obtained within the first 30min of the game. Christ, do I hate that. 

That's usually going to happen because people will find the opimal route to getting a good weapon early. In Baldur's Gate 1 I have a certain route I use to get Imoen fast XP so she can pick the lock inside the Beregost Blacksmith so I can grab a very early Bastard Sword +1. In Baldur's Gate 2 well yeah, after Irenicus' lair it's free game.

That is the nature of a non-linear RPG like this.

Edited by Sensuki