What's on the idiot box... Part 2

Rosbjerg

Woah, I finally finished watching the latest Supernatural season final. Now I can finally do someting else... like having fun in life.

Seriously, though. Supernatural has become really bad since that Sam & Satan storyline was finished. They should have let the show end at that point and not force all this new crap onto it.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Woah, I finally finished watching the latest Supernatural season final. Now I can finally do someting else... like having fun in life.

Seriously, though. Supernatural has become really bad since that Sam & Satan storyline was finished. They should have let the show end at that point and not force all this new crap onto it.

The Men of Letters stuff I really liked, and introducing the Thule Society and the rival mystic jewish cabal. Would have liked to see more of that.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The Men of Letters stuff I really liked, and introducing the Thule Society and the rival mystic jewish cabal. Would have liked to see more of that.

But this whole "this bunker is where we deal now" thingy is totally against what Supernuts had been. For me it is the same situation as the "hunters bar" (roadhouse) we got earlier, which at some point luckily got burned down. Meh. I don't like any of this new development. Most of it just seems pretty stupid to me. Additionally, I find most of the later filler episodes to be extremely uninteresting. Makes me acknowledge that some shows don't need more than ~13 episodes per season.

Oh well, whatev. At least this Bloodlines spinoff won't happen. That backdoor pilot expisode was... just no.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

So, we have a new Constantine trailer. Anybody else hated it?

Well it looks a hundred times better than that horrible movie. At least the actor looks like the comic book character. But I don't have high hopes for this series. I would've preferred it was set in England like the comic. But it's an American TV show so it's to be expected. Will wait and see when it comes out.

What I found humorous were the comments suggesting the TV series looks crap and the movie was great. :lol: Obviously not a lot of people have read Hellblazer. That's like saying Will Smith's 'I am Legend' is great and someone making a TV series more aligned and very close to Richard Matheson's book and calling it crap. Interestingly, I am Legend scored higher than Constantine on sites like imdb and rotten tomatoes. So who knows.

Well it looks a hundred times better than that horrible movie. At least the actor looks like the comic book character. But I don't have high hopes for this series. I would've preferred it was set in England like the comic. But it's an American TV show so it's to be expected. Will wait and see when it comes out.

What I found humorous were the comments suggesting the TV series looks crap and the movie was great. :lol: Obviously not a lot of people have read Hellblazer. That's like saying Will Smith's 'I am Legend' is great and someone making a TV series more aligned and very close to Richard Matheson's book and calling it crap. Interestingly, I am Legend scored higher than Constantine on sites like imdb and rotten tomatoes. So who knows.

The movie wasn't very true to the comics, but it was a good movie.

Omega Man was better than I Am Legend.

Devastatorsig.jpg

ugh. no. Not a good movie. Wasn't true to the comics is an understatement. The movie had very little to do with the comics. Other than the name and some plot/concepts which the movie was 'loosely' based on. Swap out the name Constantine for something else and the movie would have been any generic supernatural movie. Movies like Batman Forever (which rated similar to Constantine on Rotten Tomatoes) have at least some semblance of recognition to the source material.

The TV show looks very much like how Constantine should have been. It's a shame we have the movie which has given the wrong impression to people of what the character should be.

Batman and Robin hardly had a similar rating to Constantine on Rotten Tomatoes. Constantine has a 46% Critic rating and 72% user rating, while Batman and Robin was 12% and 16% respectively.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Huh? I didn't say Batman and Robin. I said Batman Forever. Batman Forever has a 41% critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Which is in the same ball park to Constantine's 46%. Both movies are just plain bad. And wouldn't you like to have TV shows or movies that are based on comic characters have at least some semblance to their comic counterparts? I know I would.

Anyway. Watched the season finales of:

Arrow. Great finale and seeing so many characters from the comics. Strange with Oliver and the island part at the end. Won't give away any spoilers.

Castle. Had a feeling halfway through the episode they wouldn't get married. Would have been a nice ending but ended on a cliff hanger.

Hawaii Five-0. Pure ridiculous action show but that's what so great about it. The previous episode with McGarrett and Catherine going to Afghanistan and taking on the Taliban was just hilarious.

Once Upon a Time. Mixed feelings. Was good but now feel the story is going around in circles. At the start of the series it was about the curse and now that's over with, the writers don't seem to know where they're headed. So they've restarted everything with Regina again.

Person of Interest. Great finale. This show is full of awesome. They take it in directions you have nowhere of knowing where it's going to go. Next season is shaping up to be a cracker.

The Blacklist. Really enjoyed this and enough doubt in the finale so you're not 100% sure who Red is. James Spader makes the show.

Huh? I didn't say Batman and Robin. I said Batman Forever. Batman Forever has a 41% critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Which is in the same ball park to Constantine's 46%. Both movies are just plain bad. And wouldn't you like to have TV shows or movies that are based on comic characters have at least some semblance to their comic counterparts? I know I would.

Huh, must have misread it, 3 times... stupid heat scrambling my brain. Anyway, I don't even look at critic reviews. Critics don't know how to enjoy movies. User rating of 72% is a better indication of how good it is.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Would have preferred if the costume was scarlet instead of maroon, but its not bad that that's my main complaint.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

Huh? I didn't say Batman and Robin. I said Batman Forever. Batman Forever has a 41% critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Which is in the same ball park to Constantine's 46%. Both movies are just plain bad. And wouldn't you like to have TV shows or movies that are based on comic characters have at least some semblance to their comic counterparts? I know I would.

Huh, must have misread it, 3 times... stupid heat scrambling my brain.

I kinda just assumed he meant Batman & Robin. If you're making a case that a movie is awful by comparing it, you'd compare it to an awful movie. Batman Forever was just... subpar. I think a lot of the (well deserved) hate for Batman & Robin seeped into it's predecessor. I mean, a couple of elements that were present in that abomination were in this one too, but on a whole it was more in the "disappointing" camp than a complete failure.

I don't get the hate for the Constantine movie, but like I said before, I wasn't terribly familiar with the character. As such, I had no frame of reference and I found it fairly entertaining at the time. Keanu Reeves and his little sidekick were awful and it suffered from a bit of an anticlimax, but the plot and the art direction were pretty cool and the supporting players were all top notch, with special mention of Peter Stormare's amazing ability to be despicable with only a handful of scenes. It may not be faithful, and I get why diehard fans would be very disappointed now that I've read a couple of Hellblazer comics, but I didn't think it was a complete waste.

Anyway, I quite enjoyed the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. finale. A lot of throwbacks, some unexpected moments and even some actual quality acting. Not amazing, but it did its job.

Omega Man was better than I Am Legend.

Last Man on Earth > Omega Man > I am Legend (movie)

I am Legend the movie seemed to actually miss the point of I am Legend the novel, something LMoE got (and, in its way, OM did as well)

But I still liked the Constantine movie even if it was nothing like its source material. Unfortunately the casual interest I had in the character at the time of the movie has turned to a full blown loathing after he became the "it" boy of the New 52, so the likelihood of me watching the TV series at the moment is along the same lines of me watching Batman Forever again.

Also liked the Agents of SHIELD finale. Felt it managed to wrap things up in a not-terribly tidy way, but a very satisfying way. Loved the final Garrett bit.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

HBO is/was free over the weekend so my wife and I had a marathon True Detectives viewing and watched all 7 episodes. Wow, great season. Ive heard there will be different leads for next season but it will be hard to top Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey's performances.

Seriously disappointed by the finale and the way McConaughey's character was 'resolved'. Instead of the promised plot we get a near death experience and a borne again Christian. I mean that does happen, and it's a good thing too I suppose, it just makes for bad drama. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Huh, must have misread it, 3 times... stupid heat scrambling my brain. Anyway, I don't even look at critic reviews. Critics don't know how to enjoy movies. User rating of 72% is a better indication of how good it is.

Well if your argument is that user ratings reflect a better scale of what makes a good movie, then movies like I am Legend which have a better score than Constantine are also great movies.

Last Man on Earth > Omega Man > I am Legend (movie)

I am Legend the movie seemed to actually miss the point of I am Legend the novel, something LMoE got (and, in its way, OM did as well)

But I still liked the Constantine movie even if it was nothing like its source material.

And this is my point as well. The movie Constantine missed the point of what the character is, why the character is why he is, how he looks and acts, his motives which is a big part of the comic, and pretty much threw the source material out the window.

If you changed the movie title to Angels and Demons and Constantine's name to Joe Smith but kept everything the same in the movie, you would never know it was based on the comic. The same cannot be said if you changed Batman Forever to Vigilante Superhero and Bruce Wayne to Joe Smith and kept everything the same in the movie. You would know it was based on Batman with how the character looks, his sidekick, the enemies he goes up against.

And with I am Legend, it has better ratings (critic and user) than Contantine. And if you have no knowledge of either source material, I can see why. But if you have knowledge of I am Legend and no knowledge of Constantine, then you're arguing from a side of bias. It's probably why some people like movies such as X-Men Origins: Wolverine because they've never read or have no knowledge of the source material.

The TV show looks to be a very close and near faithful adaption of the comic book, albeit a few changes like changing the setting from England to America. But the character seems to be a lot more faithful to the comic. And that's a good thing.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

I had only read the first trade of Hellblazer when I saw Constantine, so I was angry about making him american and changing his look, but the rest didn't bother me.

New series does look like they get the character right.

As a side note, you must be HATING the upcoming Fantastic Four atrocity eh?

I just tallied up the new series that I need to check out and its coming up to 9+, and of the stuff I was already watching they only cancelled 2 of them. I guess RAW is getting cut out of my weekly schedule.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'm actually a DC fan and not really into reading Marvel comics. I do read some Marvel comics. Although when they rebooted the DC universe, I stopped reading DC. My preference now are independent comics.

One of the best parts of the Hellblazer comic was the Garth Ennis run from issue 41-83. And it's also has a major storyline and plot device for Ennis' later work Preacher. You could almost say it's the origin story of Preacher even though officially it isn't. But you can see where he got the idea for Preacher. The Dangerous Habits story line (Issues 41-46) is one of the best stories in the Hellblazer series. In a weird twist of fate, the movie is 'loosely based' on this storyline. How they can take an unbelievably awesome story and then recycle it into something unrecognisable, get it so wrong on so many levels, change the context of Constantine's motives and push this turd out and call it Constantine still amazes me.

The new Fantastic Four movie I'm not concerned about. I'm not going to watch it as I enjoyed the previous two.

• Like 1