What's on the idiot box... Part 2

Rosbjerg

I'm with TN. Arrow doesn't feel like Green Arrow, more like Batman with a bow.

rofl. That's what Green Arrow is supposed to be like. :lol:

Not exactly. GA is more crazy-liberal than broody sociopath obsessed with "JUSTICE!". Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

So is Batman like Jar Jar Binks?

They are very similar in terms of the character, but so far I'm enjoying the actors and the story.  There is a more psychotic element to the Green Arrow though, he's more of a killer even though he argues he is not.  

No, it wasn't a direct comparison. Saying something is supposed to be flawed does not excuse something being flawed.

Yeah, like if someone did a version of Hamlet with a loud car alarm going off constantly, that wouldn't make it bold and edgy.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Not exactly. GA is more crazy-liberal than broody sociopath obsessed with "JUSTICE!".

Hang on. you said Green Arrow is more like more like Batman with a bow. That's how he was created. From Wikipedia:

'At the time of his debut, Green Arrow functioned in many ways as an archery-themed analogue of the very popular Batman character,...'

'the concept into a superhero archer with obvious Batman influences.These include Green Arrow's sidekick Speedy, his use of an Arrow-Car and Arrow-Plane for transportation, his use of an Arrow-Cave as his headquarters, his alter ego as a billionaire playboy, the use of an Arrow-Signal to summon him, and a clown-like arch foe named Bull's Eye, similar to Batman's arch-foe, the Joker.'

So you're basically complaining that Green Arrow is Green Arrow, considering how he was created to be similar to Batman with a Bow.

No, it wasn't a direct comparison. Saying something is supposed to be flawed does not excuse something being flawed.

So how is it flawed? Your comparison to Jar Jar makes so sense.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

It's flawed in the way of being a dull Batman ripoff. Saying it's supposed to be a dull Batman ripoff still leaves it as a dull Batman ripoff. In the same way that even if Jar Jar is supposed to be annoying, that still just means he's annoying. Making something bad on purpose still means it's bad.

It's flawed in the way of being a dull Batman ripoff. Saying it's supposed to be a dull Batman ripoff still leaves it as a dull Batman ripoff. In the same way that even if Jar Jar is supposed to be annoying, that still just means he's annoying. Making something bad on purpose still means it's bad.

I'm not saying it's a dull Batman rip-off. You are. Nice straw man though. I'm quite enjoying it because it's Green Arrow, not a dull Batman rip-off. You can have characters influenced from other characters without being dull rip-offs. Comics do it all the time. And considering Green Arrow has been going since the 1940s, interpreted in many ways and continues to be read today, I'd say he's far from being a dull rip-off.

Hang on. you said Green Arrow is more like more like Batman with a bow. That's how he was created. From Wikipedia:

'At the time of his debut, Green Arrow functioned in many ways as an archery-themed analogue of the very popular Batman character,...'

'the concept into a superhero archer with obvious Batman influences.These include Green Arrow's sidekick Speedy, his use of an Arrow-Car and Arrow-Plane for transportation, his use of an Arrow-Cave as his headquarters, his alter ego as a billionaire playboy, the use of an Arrow-Signal to summon him, and a clown-like arch foe named Bull's Eye, similar to Batman's arch-foe, the Joker.'

You left a large bit out.

"Green Arrow functioned in many ways as an archery-themed analogue of the very popular Batman character, but the writers at DC subsequently developed him into a voice of left wing and progressive politics very much distinct in character from Batman, with his own supporting cast."

So you're basically complaining that Green Arrow is Green Arrow, considering how he was created to be similar to Batman with a Bow.

Not exactly, I'm complaining that despite years of Green Arrow being depicted as Social Justice Warrior/Superhero, he has degenerated back into Batman with a bow.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It's not like I have a Batman show on TV to compare it to, so I don't see the big complaint in that regard.  They do play up the sociopath angle a lot more than Batman ever does.  I guess it isn't overly political, but I'm happy about that.

It's not like I have a Batman show on TV to compare it to, so I don't see the big complaint in that regard.  They do play up the sociopath angle a lot more than Batman ever does.  I guess it isn't overly political, but I'm happy about that.

While I would be fine without Green Arrow hammering away about politics every few minutes, I can't see broody or sociopathic as a valid interpretation of Green Arrow. I'm too accustomed to the Green Arrow who would rather improve the safety of a neighborhood than fight(let alone kill) criminals to enjoy Arrow.

The whole backdrop of Arrow was he was fighting greedy billionaires who want to **** all over the poor, so it does have a bit of the leftist bend to it.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Babylon 5 started back up on UK tv tonight. Not the pilot-pilot, but the first episode of the first season, so Ivanova and the toned down Minbari makeup.

"To my mind, a good leader should have a strong chin. He has none. And his vice-president has several. This, to me, is not a good combination."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So tried giving Arrow a shot... hate with a passion -> stupid, moody, annoying and extremely selfish protagonist, who's so much a MARY sue it hurts..

Therefore back to Scrubs and cheap laughs.

Fortune favors the bald.

I remember a few years ago there was a poll of large number of hospital staff (doctors, nurses, janitors, etc) on which tv programme most accurately captured what went on in a hospital.

ER was one of the lowest on the list. Scrubs was the one that was noted as most like a hospital environment by a large margin.

• Like 4

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

:( I always assumed hospitals were like Fraggle Rock.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I googled that. I think I need a drink.

• Like 1

I googled that. I think I need a drink.

I hate those goddamned fraggles. Who knows what the dozers might have achieved if the fraggles weren't destroying everything.

-Elwood Blues

Agents of SHIELD. I thought it was pretty solid.

Agents of SHIELD. I thought it was pretty solid.

Super solid. Gemma Simmons? Was that a reveal? Or just the first time Coulsen called her that. I love the hell out of her character now. The tears were so real ... that girl can act. Great team-building character episode.    

All Stop. On Screen.