Cinematics : your opinion ?

Cinematics : your opinion ?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Are you expecting cinematics ?

• Yes, 3D cinematics are good for a better immersion.
    • Yes, but 2D animations are better for a RPG like this one.
    • No.
    • No for sure, i'll skip them everytime...
    • No opinion.

Haven't read the entire thread. Just felt like putting in one more opinion here:

IE game style cutscenes are fine by me, it doesn't really take you out of the game and it turns into more or less a triggered camera event (the Gorion cutscene in the beginning of Baldur's Gate for instance).

The chapter by chapter text and VO was nice too, but I think PE could even do without the VO and just have some nice music ringing in the background. That's my cents.

You know, it's funny.  You got economic majors in this topic saying that a cinematic is too expensive, yet you got indie companies like Klei and Wayfoward who can make animated cutscenes on a limited budget.

While I don't care either way, I personally don't think it would be a waste a resources to do provided the art team is finished with everything else.

If you're working in an engine that's suited for cinematics, then of course it's easy and cheap to make them. If you're not, you have to use some other engine for them, which immediately adds overhead. 

In any case, it's not a question of absolute cost; it's a matter of bang for the buck. If you already have groovy concept art, why not just make an IWD-style slideshow with voiceover? That serves the same purpose, is just as atmospheric, and a lot easier and cheaper to make than creating an animated cinematic from scratch.

So yeah, I'm all for IWD-style slideshows with narration plus Darklands-style intertitles. No mini-movies TYVM.

That'st just it Junta, it costs absolutely nothing to do an in engine cutscene.  (and trust me, Unity can easily do them)  All it takes is setting up a scripted event where the camera moves as needed/models on screen are animated as required, maybe some text pops up or a "effect" happens.  No additional effects that you weren't creating anyway, no additional animations.  You use purely things you were going to develop regardless.  The only resource involved is time, which is going to be spent no matter what you do. 

Edited by Karkarov

Except, Karkarov, that PE has a 2D background, remember? The only 3D models on the screen are the characters and monsters. You can only zoom in and out. I.e, you'll see something like Gorion getting whacked by Sarevok, which is IMO a pretty lousy cutscene.

Again, I'd much prefer they did this with intertitles and/or narration.

Edited by PrimeJunta

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

There should be both cinematics and cutscenes and they should be used by Obsidian as they deem appropriate.

Cinematics to introduce the game or a final scene based on a specific ending or like in BG1 where you had short cinematics on entry to more interesting areas (Beregost, Gnoll Fortress etc).  Where you have the option to not see these the second time you play the game would also be good.  Cutscenes for certain story characters deaths etc, not player characters of course but things that are part of the main storyline.

I know people want to save resources etc but there are certain things that actually improve the game when done well.  They build the world and events in your mind before you step into them.  

It is not like you will trade 1 cinematic for 1 new area.  The budget is laid out by Obsidian of course and it may well be they could have added a new area instead of some cinematics but personally I think with what they have in development so far can only be improved by proper use of cinematics and cutscenes.  

I think people are just a little afraid that the game will end up like Dragon Age or Mass Effect where half the time you feel like you are watching the game rather than actually playing it.

Obsidian should make at lest some decent cinematics. I think about an hour or two of overall lenght. We payed good money so they should bring a quality product and I cannot say that a game without cinematics is s quality product at this time and age.

I'm afraid to be the bearer of bad news on this, but that movie you gave money to on Kickstarter was recently discovered to be funding for a video-game.

• Like 3

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Art + narration at the start end finish of the game like IWD, and maybe intodusing new areas with a consept art of the area and some discription and we are set.

No need for cinematics whatsoever. Even if Obsidian desides to have scripted eventslike BG series had, they should be scipable. The first time they are alright, but everyone who has replayed BG2 knows that they are just a PITA

Except, Karkarov, that PE has a 2D background, remember? The only 3D models on the screen are the characters and monsters. You can only zoom in and out. I.e, you'll see something like Gorion getting whacked by Sarevok, which is IMO a pretty lousy cutscene.

Again, I'd much prefer they did this with intertitles and/or narration.

That makes it even easier, now they don't need to change the camera angle just set up the scripted animations, effects, and text if needed.  I would point out everything in PE IS a 3d model, they are just creating it on a 2d field for the sake of the isometric view, which frankly I don't think serves much purpose as anything other than a "homage".

Edited by Karkarov

I'm amazed every day how many people are amazed... 

Please...

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

That makes it even easier, now they don't need to change the camera angle just set up the scripted animations, effects, and text if needed.  I would point out everything in PE IS a 3d model, they are just creating it on a 2d field for the sake of the isometric view, which frankly I don't think serves much purpose as anything other than a "homage".

Uh, you actually want to watch a scene where little figures march across the screen when viewed from a 45-degrees top-down perspective?

To each their own, I guess. If they do do that, I hope they'll put in subtitles and make it possible to just click through them, 'cuz I would find it excruciating. You're right though that it wouldn't cost much, so there is that at least.

(I'll still take the painted intertitles though TYVM.)

Edited by PrimeJunta

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Uh, you actually want to watch a scene where little figures march across the screen when viewed from a 45-degrees top-down perspective?

(I'll still take the painted intertitles though TYVM.)

There's also the level of importance of the events.

Starting from little more than party banter, like the party barbarian suddenly taking a few sidesteps to go tip a sleeping cow,

or someone suddenly collapsing for reasons unknown.

These could be done in whatever way: painting, in game scene or a cinematic.

I'd prefer to experience small stuff through in-game happenings, those break the scene the least.

Leave cinematics or cutscenes or voice-overed stuff to when something significant happens,

preferably when entering a new area or location or unlocking something important.

.... .... You do know you just described the actual gameplay..... Considering most of our time is going to be spent watching a scene where little figures march around a screen that is viewed from a 45 degree angle.  The fact that sometimes for like... 1 minute I might lose control of the little figures doesn't really bother me. 

Either way everyone seems in favor of the still frame drawing thing, which is funny, cause it requires paying an artist to draw them.  Still it is cheaper that a "full on" cinematic and less time consuming for programmers.

Edited by Karkarov

They should totally do live-action cutscenes, like in the entire Command and Conquer series. Ooh! Or live-action slideshows like in Betrayal at Krondor!

8)

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u