The Obsidian Cup

melkathi

I have also joined. Amazons all the way.

If i have to lose, I want something to watch.

~~

EDIT: IMO the flesh golems (frankensteins) are the best heavy hitters around. For the very simple reason that they don't get randomly confused or try and eat anyone.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, I'll learn as I go I suppose, I just thought they looked cool.  What's a good beginner team?

edit:  Read over the guide, I might try undead instead.

Nonsense. I'm sure you're easily capable of mastering them. You're not some wet-eared twelve year old playing a game for the first time.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Mummies are way better in those regards though (and overall).

Granted, mummies (iirc) have better skills, and so I have to concede the point. However, what I was referring to - albeit sloppily - was that the flesh golems sit in the mix better. Mummies have no fluidity around them, unlike the golems which have werewolves.

Note to all new players:

1. Getting pushed off the side of the pitch is very very bad

2. If you leave a player standing on the edge of the pitch then they are very likely to get pushed off

3. If your opponent has players with 'frenzy' skill then you need to be careful TWO squares away from the edge. Because they can push you back twice.

-Elwood Blues

Mummies are way better in those regards though (and overall).

Granted, mummies (iirc) have better skills, and so I have to concede the point. However, what I was referring to - albeit sloppily - was that the flesh golems sit in the mix better. Mummies have no fluidity around them, unlike the golems which have werewolves.

Mummies have Mighty Blow to start with instead of Stand Firm. They also have strength 5 over strength 4, which makes a huge difference. Mummies are very strong in the Undead team, while Flesh Golems mostly are glorified Zombies. Basically Flesh Golems act as road blocks while Mummies are sledge hammers.

The main problem with both, of course, is the lack of block to start with. Flesh Golems have a slight edge here since they can take general skills off the bat while mummies can only take strength without a double, though Mummies skill up faster due to Mighty Blow.

Overall I think necromanticc is a stronger team, but that's because the werewolves are pure awesomeness.

I might give necromantic a spin on solo, just to get accustomed to the playing style. :)

-Elwood Blues

I just played a couple of games with Necros against lizardmen and orcs in a campaign.

Lost one flesh golem (dead!) on the first match so my assessment may be unfair.

~~

I hate this team! The fleshies aren't tough or skilled enough to outblock other bruisers. The zombies are completely useless at everything. The werewolves can't throw or catch - which is acutely ironic given they're basically dogs. The blitzers are OK, but no better than humans. The only ones I like are the ghouls, and they can't receive medicine for healing!

Consequently the lizardmen skinks simply ran right round everybody and kept scoring.

The only plus point is that I feel more heroic playing with these losers than with halflings.

I only managed to pick up the ball successfully TWICE in about twenty attempts.

-Elwood Blues

Necromantic teams are fairly weak until they get a few skill upgrades.

The Golems, like I said, are roadblocks and nothing else. Just hard to deal with roadblocks.

Werewolves are awesome, though since Claw was nerfed a little less so (used to be -2 to armor, not all armor counts as 7). But once the team starts getting block and tackle, they become very strong. They also aren't scorers, so they really don't need catch. You want to block with them whenever possible.

I always thought ghouls are there to score, were-woofs are there to hunt down the enemy ball carrier and the rest of the team is there to keep the opposition busy.

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I just played against elves, drew the first match, went full cripple-the-bastard on the second and won 1-0.

On my first proper touchdown I played the Monster Mash, and did a victory dance. It seemed appropriate.

-Elwood Blues

I hope we are.

I know I'm not playing undead in the tourney, but they really come into their own with a few skills. I gave the flesh golems 'dodge' for comedy value. And all the zombies have 'tackle' which compensates a little for their slow speed.

I'll be online Sunday, if anyone's going to be about. I guess we just play whenever and whoever? How does it work?

-Elwood Blues

Tangentially relevant, the upcoming Humble Bundle appears to include this at the $1 level.

The bundle includes Legendary Edition but I don't think that's compatible with Chaos Edition which is the version that the league has been hosted under.  It's like having the wrong expansion pack.

Edited by Serrano

I assumed that also. There's nothing wrong with the legendary edition, but if you like it at all you're going to want the chaos edition.

BTW, I laughed my ass off at the commentators when the khorne demons take the field.

-Elwood Blues

I guess the league format might affect compatibility, but a quick search did indicate that the versions are multi-player compatible in that you can play against the expansion teams, just not as them.

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I guess the league format might affect compatibility, but a quick search did indicate that the versions are multi-player compatible in that you can play against the expansion teams, just not as them.

Thanks for checking.

Unless i get a phone call I'm going to be about most of this evening on Steam. be advised I have some rather good merlot I want to get outside of. So I will be absolutely hooned by about 2000hrs GMT. After that, if no=-one's about I'll probably wobble outside for a walk.

-Elwood Blues

Half-Time Report:

Silent Sonatine - Dead Scorpios

1                0

Coach Walsingham was overheard saying to coach Serrano: "All my girls are especially greased up" as the amazons slip out of the tomb kings' grasp. Still, everything could change if the world oldest Blood Bowl players get their hands on the scantily clad bints from the New World and show them some old school Blood Bowl violence.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Full time score: 1-1

Match rating 15/20

A great game of bloodbowl, some real chances taken, not always successfully, thanks to the raw nature of the teams. One all a good end to a hard fought game, with plenty of sportsmanlike fouling.

First half was characterised by a measured drive by the Khemri team. The Scorps took their time trying to do as much damage as possible along the way, only touching down at the last moment to avoid ceding control of the ball. Luckily the baby oil I had _personally_ applied to the amazon team paid off in more ways than one. Dodge skill meant that despite two-up blocks, very few hurts were felt. If this had been a less agile team we would have been creamed. As it was, by half time one permanent injury, and half the team were KO'd.

Shortly before half time, a wily tackle lead to one of the khemri being taken off injured. This left a hole in their ranks which allowed for concentration of force, and subsequent exploitation. A spirited Sonatine counter attack ended in a touchdown, but there wasn't time to achieve another.

In the end, some good management, few mistakes made. I pity the poor bastard that tries to take on the Scorps next.

EDIT:

Tragically the merlot wasn't given time to breathe, so the first glass was awful.

Also it's merlot. What the funt was I thinking?

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 2

-Elwood Blues