The Obsidian Cup

melkathi

Disclaimer:

Blame Walsingham

Nuffle Wants You!

or something like that. After a discussion with a fellow worshipper of Nuffle, the idea was born (through Nuffle's guidance no doubt) that a Blood Bowl league for the forum would be in order. I think the exact words of the prophet of Nuffle were: "Go forth obsidianites and bring gratuitous violence onto the pitch."

The question then is: Are there people interested?

fine print:

Blame Walsingham

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

'Tis true. I'm to blame.

We need (I reckon) about 6 teams to have a simple tournament.

We also need someone who can fathom the byzantine complexity of the multiplayer game.

Stretch goals would be:

1) a 'live' game where injuries and experience, etc are carried over match to match

2) Salt in some computer teams to bulk out the experience until we get more teams

~~

I have a few good teams to field at about 2000 PV. Human, Dark Elf, Dwarf.

I will field whichever one compliments the other players.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I looked around the options for setting up the league.

A rookie league would mean we could start new teams just for it.

I think the minimum number of teams is 4. I would prefer 6.

As I understand it, we can't have AI teams - all spots must be filled with real people or AIs pretending to be real people on a forum.

We have the choice of setting it up as a Cup, Championship, Competition, League... whatever. There are about twenty different images for the cup.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I've just dug deep and stumped up the five quid for t Chaos edition, so I'm on the same version as you buggers.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I've just dug deep and stumped up the five quid for t Chaos edition, so I'm on the same version as you buggers.

Us buggers? Thats Ros and me. We need Rosbjerg to stop having an awesome time with the wimin and sign up. Then we need to force Alan to buy the game. That would give us enough people for the tiny cup :)

edit:

Wait, Raithe has it as well. So we are four. We need two more to make a nice 6 team league.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 2

Well I did dabble in the original GW game back iin the day..  So I'll just pick a copy of this one up at that price and see how I get on with it. So mayhaps I'll be able to give it a whirl.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Has the multiplayer gotten any better? I remember buying the first version of this and while game play mechanics were solid, multiplayer was just a mess, and one-off internet games were so much worse than fumbbl it's not even funny

(though I've stopped playing fumbbl a long time ago as well)

Has the multiplayer gotten any better?

I have no idea. I never tried the multiplayer to be honest.

I have a friend who is very active in the multiplayer thing and who as in FUMBBL as well. So all I know is based on badgering him for info.

I'd prefer the rookie league, since I've never played before.  I picked up the Chaos Edition.  I'll give it a whirl tonight when I get home for work, but I expect to get trounced a fair bit until I learn.

Other than Wals we are all rookies. So we'll have to go with a rookie league.

If you need anything I'll be online after dinner as well. Either seeing if my halfling team can continue cutting a bloody path through the competition or trying out the Khorne team.

Be careful though. It is a direct translation of the board game, so there is a lot of rolling of dice and if you are like me that means rolling a lot of critical fumbles.

And another note:

Player appearance can be set while hiring them. It just is a bit akwardly set up. When you select the player type in the list, instead of clicking hire, you click player details and then can set the appearance before hiring. Though not all types have multiple skins which is a shame.

• Like 2

Well, I've just tried playing my first game on this. And literally every player I've got fumbles the ball when throwing, falls over every single time they move past an opposing player, and pretty much breaks their neck every time they get tackled.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Well, I've just tried playing my first game on this. And literally every player I've got fumbles the ball when throwing, falls over every single time they move past an opposing player, and pretty much breaks their neck every time they get tackled.

Even though it sounds like you must be doing something wrong that's actually a typical Blood Bowl match. I'd be up for joining the league if you guys get it going. 

Edited by Serrano

Blame Walsingham

I always do.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

What race did you try? Not all are equally beginner friendly.

I found some of the tougher races to be good for learning the game. Nurgle for example. A skaven team my dance around you and score TDs without you ever having a chance to hunt down that Gutter Runner and beat him to a pulp, but at least you are likely to be the one outnumbering the opposition at some point after they have been carried of the pitch with stretchers.

• Like 1

**** me. It looks like SoDOFF might actually get playing something. :)

I had to start a new team with the Chaos edition, so I've gone Amazons. Circa 1400 point just now. Am up for playing head to head any time you chaps see me on Steam.

-Elwood Blues