Weird News Stories

ShadySands

And for the other school related news..

Utah Football Coach Suspends the Entire Team

This high school football coach does not tolerate bullying or attitude problems, and he recently showed players in a major way.

Utah outlet Deseret News reported that the town of Roosevelt's Union High School football coach Matt Labrum recently suspended all 80 players from the team due to reports of bullying and academic issues.

In a letter to the team from the school’s coaching staff last Friday, players were told that if they participated in community service activities, took character-education classes and participated in extra study hall sessions, they would earn the right to play again in upcoming games.

“The lack of character we are showing off the field is outshining what we are achieving on the field. We want student-athletes that are humble to learn and grow through adversity and success on and off the field,” reads the letter, which was obtained by Deseret News.

On Wednesday, he announced that he would allow most players back on the team because they met the outlined requirements, according to CBS News.

Labrum reportedly knew his players were having some academic issues, but decided to take a stand last week after he learned some of his players allegedly were anonymously cyberbullying other students on social media site Ask.fm, according to local outlet KSL-TV.

"It just felt like everything was going in a direction that we didn't want our young men going," Labrum told the outlet. "We felt like we needed to make a stand."

The decision received support from both the school administration and parents.

"As I thought about it, I've got 100 percent confidence in our (coaching) staff," said Union Principal Rick Nielsen to Deseret News. "They are just excellent men. Sometimes we do think we're bigger than the game."

According to KSL-TV, Labrum reportedly met with a student who had been harassed on Ask.fm and asked for his forgiveness on behalf of the team.

The team is scheduled to play its homecoming game Friday.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Not exactly news, but I discovered the Werner projection of the world today.

Map-heart-054.jpg

I just quite like it, being heart shaped. Can't imagine it being useful though.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Not so much weird. But quite interesting. Seeing families at supermarkets like a family of four shopping for groceries (loads of sugary / processed junk in the trolley) and two early teenage kids, who were both exceedingly obese (dad & mum weren't far behind), reminded me of this this very interesting article in Australia regarding the complex issue "is obesity a form of child abuse?"

Is this child abuse? The courts think so.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/is-this-child-abuse-the-courts-think-so-20120711-21wdb.html

VICTORIAN welfare authorities have begun using extreme obesity as a reason to support children being separated from their parents.

One case involved a pre-teenage boy who weighed 110 kilograms (242.5 lbs) and the other a teenage girl whose waist circumference of 169 centimetres (5 feet 6.5 inches) was greater than her height.

One of Britain's leading doctors argued quite effectively that veganism - as commonly practiced in the UK - was malnutritive child abuse. And the only thing which prevented the police taking action was that it was practiced by people who were neither poor nor black.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'd agree with him, but what about religion then? It's intellectual child abuse in my opinion, so it's a slippery slope there.

Anti-vaccine? Definetly.

Using pseudoscientific medical practices? **** yes.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

a bit of an uproar over here because a cop that chased and shot a dog was found not guilty

a bit of an uproar over here because a cop that chased and shot a dog was found not guilty

Not guilty of what?

-Elwood Blues

Not guilty of what?

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/closing-arguments-underway-in-trial-of-commerce-city-officer-who-shot-killed-chloe-the-dog-in-2012

I have no compassion for pitbulls.  Those dogs don't mess around, and I'm not going to mess around if I've got one coming at me.  

It's actually pretty crazy that this cop was put on administrative leave for 6 months for this.  He was trying to protect the animal control officer, he shouldn't be threatened with prison because of that.  

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

Apparently as the video didn't mesh with what they claimed (imagine that..) so possibly put him on leave to be sure, not sure why it's crazy in anycase unless you automatically believe cops. And he's still getting his cheque, so no a big deal.

Tough dog though, got tasered and then the cop shot it five times.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The dog was tasered, collared, and trying to get away when the cop shot it 5 times

The argument was that he didn't need to shoot it the dog when he could have assisted the female animal control officer who was struggling to control it. The dog was moving away from the woman when he shot it the first time and continued to shoot it 4 more times. Most people weren't asking that he go to jail but it was expected that at least he would get an official reprimand and at most lose his job.

No compassion because of the breed is kind of a dim view

He's the full video where you can see the dog is not moving towards the animal control officer when first shot but is simply trying to flee. You can just skip to the last 15 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XMKqwQm4L9Y

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Still don't care.

My favourite dog ever was a staffie/pitbull cross. But I wouldn't expect a cop to get more than an official notice on record.

There are real issues out there in law enforcement, but let's all ignore those and focus on one animal.

In which theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RZKsLMfsR4

-Elwood Blues

Still don't care.

My favourite dog ever was a staffie/pitbull cross. But I wouldn't expect a cop to get more than an official notice on record.

There are real issues out there in law enforcement, but let's all ignore those and focus on one animal.

Well, there's a surprise for you. Heh, and who said people are ignoring other issues for this ? Society can walk and chew gum. This also does touch on an issue with cops, in that they've no qualms with being dishonest just to CYA.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Breed has a heck of a lot to do with this, how often do you hear about people shooting other breeds of dogs?  When someone gets mauled to death it's almost always a pitbull.

https://www.causes.com/actions/1753697-fatal-pit-bull-attacks-sharply-rise-in-2013

I'm sure there are plenty of nice pitbulls in the world, but these are still animals, and I want the police putting the safety of humans above them.

I think this is one of those nature vs nuture things. 

I disagree with the breed itself being the main reason why pit bull attacks are the most common and I would say it's more lack of socialization and responsible ownership but I would agree with breed being why they are most brutal. 

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/truth-about-pit-bulls

You may not agree and I accept that 

let's just move on

• Like 2

Boy Sends Question About Ninjas To Head Of US Special Forces, Gets A Response

Here's how it all started, according to military nonprofit Blue Star Families:

One afternoon while playing with a friend in the yard, the young Greentree was scolded by his mother.  "Be quiet like a SEAL," said Vivian Greentree.  His friend immediately replied — as one would expect from a 7-year old. "Ninjas are quieter than SEALS." And thus, a monumental argument began.  WHO is quieter? Ninjas or SEALS?  SEALS or Ninjas?

Greentree wrote a letter to McRaven, and McRaven wrote back with an answer: "I think ninjas are probably quieter than SEALs, but we are better swimmers, and also better with guns and blowing things up."
  • Like 2

Boy Sends Question About Ninjas To Head Of US Special Forces, Gets A Response

Here's how it all started, according to military nonprofit Blue Star Families:

One afternoon while playing with a friend in the yard, the young Greentree was scolded by his mother.  "Be quiet like a SEAL," said Vivian Greentree.  His friend immediately replied — as one would expect from a 7-year old. "Ninjas are quieter than SEALS." And thus, a monumental argument began.  WHO is quieter? Ninjas or SEALS?  SEALS or Ninjas?

Greentree wrote a letter to McRaven, and McRaven wrote back with an answer: "I think ninjas are probably quieter than SEALs, but we are better swimmers, and also better with guns and blowing things up."

William H. McRaven is awesome. I have two copies of his book. Well, one copy. The other has been pinched by a thieving officer.

-Elwood Blues

Inquiring Minds - Seals quieter then Ninjas?

Inquiring Minds Want to Know! Ninjas vs. SEALs

Walker Greentree wants to be a SEAL when he grows up. Or a ninja. It depends on the day. He's turning 7 in October so that explains a lot.  But he's smart as a whip.  He comes from a military family and he's a member of the elite MilKidz Club.

One afternoon while playing with a friend in the yard, the young Greentree was scolded by his mother.  "Be quiet like a SEAL," said Vivian Greentree.  His friend immediately replied - as one would expect from a 7-year old. "Ninjas are quieter than SEALS." And thus, a monumental argument began.  WHO is quieter? Ninjas or SEALS?  SEALS or Ninjas?  

So in times like these, the younger Greentree wanted to ask the experts.   He wrote to Admiral William H. McRaven, a United States Navy admiral, and Commander, U.S. Special Operations Command. He's a big deal.  And what happened next will go down in history and for Walker Greentree, it will be a moment he will never forget. 

final_seal_infographic.jpg

Here's what the letter read:

"Thanks for writing me! You did a great job drawing the Trident, it looks just like my personal coin, which I've sent you along with this letter. I only give this to very special kids, so I hope you like it. 

To answer your questions: I think ninjas are probably quieter than SEALs, but we are better swimmers, and also better with guns and blowing things up. I can hold my breath for a long time, but I try not to unless I really have to.  

Remember, if you want to be a SEAL, you must do two things: listen to your parents and be nice to the other kids. If you do that then you can probably be a SEAL too."

Admiral William H. McRaven

LESSONS LEARNED? 

1)  When you  have serious questions, go to the experts

2)  Holding your breath for a long time isn't necessarily good for you

3) SEALs and Ninjas are both uber cool

4) Letter writing is a skill that we all should practice

5)  Admirals are smart 

• Like 2

Teenage FPS shooter fans please note: the real deal does not claim even SEALs are best at everything. YOU are not best at everything.

-Elwood Blues

Waitress Receives a Lottery Ticket as a Tip, Wins $17,500

It's like something out of a movie. Literally. The movie is It Could Happen to You, starring Nicolas Cage and Bridget Fonda.

And it did happen for Aurora Kephart, a 25-year-old waitress and bartender at Conway's Restaurant and Lounge in Springfield, Ore., who regularly receives lottery tickets in lieu of tips from her regulars. "He buys multiple tickets and he'll hold out the tickets and say, ‘Pick which one you want,'" she told ABC News about one customer in particular. "That's a normal thing between us." Recently, he let her pick two unplayed Keno tickets. She did and won $5 on the first ticket that she scanned. Not too shabby! She then scanned the second one and realized she had won $17,500.
  • Like 1

For the random interest..

MSN - A Guide to the New National Crime Agency

The UK’s new National Crime Agency (NCA) launches today and has a £500 million budget to crack down on organised criminals, both at home and abroad. Here's a rundown on what to expect from the agency labelled 'Britain's FBI'.

What will the NCA do?

The new agency will target serious and organised crime – focusing on an estimated 37,000 criminals, of which one in five are deemed “high harm” foreign criminals.

The NCA will run the country's first national intelligence hub, place investigators at UK ports to tackle border crime such as human trafficking and will track down child-sex abusers online.

Staff will include a number of voluntary “specials” - volunteers such as special constables in police forces who are experts in for example cyber matters or the financial sector, as well as around 120 officers overseas in 40 different countries.

How is it different from what we have already?

The NCA replaces the Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca), as well as the Child Exploitation Online Protection centre (Ceop) and certain functions of the National Policing Improvement Agency.

However, unlike Soca, the NCA will not be a covert organisation. Some of its officers will wear uniform and its director general, Keith Bristow, wants the agency to be recognised by the public and, more importantly, by criminals.

The home secretary, Theresa May, says the NCA would have sweeping new powers to step in and directly task and co-ordinate police forces in a bid to tackle organised crime and secure the UK's borders.

Will it help us catch more criminals?

Mrs May says a new, tougher approach was needed, as too many of the near-6,000 organised crime gangs in the UK were escaping justice.

However, the move has been criticised by opposition MPs. Keith Vaz, the chairman of the Commons home select committee, has warned that the agency doesn’t have as much money as its predecessors – pointing out that the three agencies it replaces were given £812 million last year, while the NCA will only be given £500 million.

A Home Office spokesperson told the Telegraph that the NCA was not taking on the full duties of all three of these agencies, insisting that the overall budgets remained the same.

The shadow policing minister, David Hanson, also argued that “most of the NCA is just the rebranding of existing organisations,” as well as warning that it "is not strong enough to deal with the exponential growth of economic and online crime.”

The agency will also not be able to operate fully in Northern Ireland owing to concerns over its autonomy in this part of the United Kingdom. That has led to warnings it could become a haven for organised criminals.

Bras Make Breasts "Saggier", 15-year French Study Reveals

Women have long been told that a good bra can help support the chest, relieve back pain and prevent sagging.  However, a new 15-year French study reveals the opposite: bras do little to reduce back pain and, over time, they can actually make breasts sag even more.

Bras Make Breasts "Saggier", 15-year French Study Reveals

Women have long been told that a good bra can help support the chest, relieve back pain and prevent sagging.  However, a new 15-year French study reveals the opposite: bras do little to reduce back pain and, over time, they can actually make breasts sag even more.

Are you just trying to find an excuse for your wife to go around bra-less?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands