This George Zimmerman thing

Calax

If you think you can reliably tell the French and English apart on skin colour then I suggest you take a flight to Paris and win a lot of money by betting on the fact in cafes.

People will accept your bet because the - no doubt mistaken - popular opinion will be that your assertion is gibbering stupidity.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

This is a much more complex scenario than the OJ Simpson trial. It doesn't deserve to be compared to that.

What struck me about the case is how the media convicted Zimmerman right from the start and injected race into the issue. They turned it into a national tragedy when this **** happens every day in our country. Maybe it was racially motivated, we'll never know. But the jury saw otherwise and race wasn't even discussed. So yeah, I'm pretty disgusted with the media and wish the Pres would have stayed out of it. In the end, I feel both Zimmerman and Martin made stupid mistakes, but because of Stand Your Ground, it cost Martin his life. I don't think Zimmerman will be playing amateur cop ever again.

This is a much more complex scenario than the OJ Simpson trial. It doesn't deserve to be compared to that.

What struck me about the case is how the media convicted Zimmerman right from the start and injected race into the issue. They turned it into a national tragedy when this **** happens every day in our country. Maybe it was racially motivated, we'll never know. But the jury saw otherwise and race wasn't even discussed. So yeah, I'm pretty disgusted with the media and wish the Pres would have stayed out of it. In the end, I feel both Zimmerman and Martin made stupid mistakes, but because of Stand Your Ground, it cost Martin his life. I don't think Zimmerman will be playing amateur cop ever again.

Although without media's meddling whole case wouldn't have gone in court at all, as police at first say that there is no need for investigation. Which was in my understanding the main reason why the case got so widely known and which also caused race and racism speculations.

Police didn't say there was no need for investigation, they said there was not enough evidence to bring charges.

When people say someone's Hispanic in the US usually they really mean he's mestizo. American speech is full of euphemisms.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Although without media's meddling whole case wouldn't have gone in court at all, as police at first say that there is no need for investigation. Which was in my understanding the main reason why the case got so widely known and which also caused race and racism speculations.

And given the prosecution's closing statement it's pretty ****ing clear they had bupkis and knew it prior to the trial. They outright admitted that they know of no action prior to John Good seeing Zimmerman getting the **** beat out of him that was in any way, shape, or form illegal on the part of Zimmerman. Which means they had no action to pin the shooting on anything besides self defense.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

Police didn't say there was no need for investigation, they said there was not enough evidence to bring charges.

If it was so, then why police didn't for example investigated Zimmerman's background before media involement albeit they did so for Martin? Or did majority of media outlets give false information about the case in this matter?

Edited by Elerond

If it was so, then why police didn't for example investigated Zimmerman's background before media involement albeit they did so for Martin? Or did majority of media outlets give false information about the case in this matter?

I'm on record, having gotten a lot of the points wrong on this case, so shoot me down for asking. But I thought they didn't originally bring a case?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm on record, having gotten a lot of the points wrong on this case, so shoot me down for asking. But I thought they didn't originally bring a case?

They didn't.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/10/justice/sanford-bill-lee-exclusive

According to the Ex Chief of the Police, they had stupid amounts of political pressure on them to make an arrest to make it look like they were doing something because of the media coverage. When the shooting first happened you couldn't go into any crime news story without it being turned into a Martin story (I specifically cited one article on these boards because it was an Arabic woman who got killed explicitly due to racism, but her story became about Zimmerman v Martin)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I really shouldn't have been, but I was disappointed that Obama weighed in suddenly in the last 24 hours.

Who the **** is advising SCOTUS? I think the unbelievably weakass advice scares me more than he does.

First accepting a Nobel on credit, then chipping in with a meaningless opinion months after the case was news.

One can only hope that his foreign affairs people are smarter than his domestics.

-Elwood Blues

If I had to guess I would say it's probably because he doesn't really have anything to lose by it

The people that will get the most upset about it are probably the people that don't support him anyway

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

If I had to guess I would say it's probably because he doesn't really have anything to lose by it

The people that will get the most upset about it are probably the people that don't support him anyway

:) I think you are right.

-Elwood Blues

I'm not sure what you mean by their "background". I'm not aware of anything that indicates they didn't investigate everything that was relevant. And yes, I think media outlets either outright lied, or concealed, or misinformed either on purpose or from ignorance or stupidity. Watching the coverage it was unbelievable how many facts were constantly misstated.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I really shouldn't have been, but I was disappointed that Obama weighed in suddenly in the last 24 hours.

Who the **** is advising SCOTUS? I think the unbelievably weakass advice scares me more than he does.

First accepting a Nobel on credit, then chipping in with a meaningless opinion months after the case was news.

One can only hope that his foreign affairs people are smarter than his domestics.

Erm, suddenly weighed in? As soon as the case became national news he said "If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon". By which he apparently meant his son would get himself a set of gold teeth posthaste. And then he immediately set the FBI into looking at the hate crimes angle, who less than a month later came back and from an investigation standpoint effectively said "You're out of your ****ing mind if you think this guy was racist".

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

That's because the President is a proven racist.

I like how he proclaims all black men look the same. If some white perrson said that, they'd be labeled racist for sure, thrown in the trash, and pissed on.

NEWSFLASH: NOT ALL BLACK GUYS LOOK THE SAME MR. PRESIDENT.

P.S. Neither do all white dudes, chinese dudes, and a whole bunch of other dudes.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Obama getting involved in this mess was perhaps his biggest public blunder. Trayvon could be his son? Really? Trayvon was no choir boy. He was a troubled kid who got into fights and used drugs. He assaulted Zimmerman. I voted for Obama, but after this fiasco I was really disappointed.

Edited by licketysplit

That video... they're both idiots.

On one hand:

"I think this 19 year old high school student is doing exactly what she needs to and is awesome!" While everything I've seen of her has shown that she's not that bright (cultural context)

On the other

"60% of the crimes in this nation are being done by black people!"

I highly doubt that.

Edited by Calax

I can see why Clarkson took a swing at Piers. 

Watching Zimmerman's brother, it's amazing to see how well he's able to maintain the conversation and force his points across. The other interview that Volo posted sounded like two old yahoos yelling at each other about how one relieved himself in the others yard, while this one he's very articulate and drives home some points while also trying to cut through Morgans obviously barbed attacks.

And the only thing from that interview that's been picked up by the news is "And now he has to worry about vigilanties" which the comedy shows use to say "HA! HYPOCRITE!"

Edited by Calax

Once again I feel obliged to apologise for Piers Morgan.

I was about to suggest we bury him a nuclear waste facility. But in deference to our era we could also strap him to a wind turbine, in a form of rotary crucifixion.

-Elwood Blues

Reading his wiki page, he seems like he's the sort of guy who personifies EVERYTHING that's wrong with modern news culture. As a newspaper man, he printed VERY obvious fake photos and aimed more for the headline that would get readers than actual... news.

Also the man seems to have a serious hatred for anyone who's a celeb, except himself. Why'd they choose to have him replace Larry King?

Once again I feel obliged to apologise for Piers Morgan.

I was about to suggest we bury him a nuclear waste facility. But in deference to our era we could also strap him to a wind turbine, in a form of rotary crucifixion.

Reading his wiki page, he seems like he's the sort of guy who personifies EVERYTHING that's wrong with modern news culture. As a newspaper man, he printed VERY obvious fake photos and aimed more for the headline that would get readers than actual... news.

Also the man seems to have a serious hatred for anyone who's a celeb, except himself. Why'd they choose to have him replace Larry King?

Woah guys what's with all the hatred towards Piers Morgan?

I enjoy his show and most of the time he maintains a difficult level of decorum despite interviewing people that can be aggressive and completely intransigent. He also isn't afraid to tackle some of the USA real social issues like Gun Control despite the fact people are almost militant about it and obviously these topics create negative publicity for him from certain sectors, like that absurd petition to get him deported. For me he is someone that is quite prepared to make a stand on topics even though other news reporters stay away from them as there are easier subjects to debate.

@ Calax

He definitely doesn't hate celebs and has many famous people on his show who come willingly for interviews. But I will say he is a liberal and has a few friends in the far right.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

He's not 'afraid' because what possible harm can he come to?

I am afraid that if I amplify Calax's comments I will merely undermine their power with my irascibility. Look what he did regarding the photos. He's as bad as the sacks of manure who sold them to him.

-Elwood Blues

He's not 'afraid' because what possible harm can he come to?

I am afraid that if I amplify Calax's comments I will merely undermine their power with my irascibility. Look what he did regarding the photos. He's as bad as the sacks of manure who sold them to him.

Okay so he made a mistake 10 years ago but is that a reason to dismiss everything and anything he did after that?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela