Steam and wireless connections

Hello.

I've just got a wireless dongle for my PC. It's actually faster than the ethernet cable I was using.

But now Steam won't work and I'm too far away from the router to plug in! :banghead:

Any ideas?

sonsofgygax.JPG

What do you mean by "won't work"? I assume your wireless dongle is just a wi-fi thing and not one of those mobile broadband modems, so if Steam is the only thing not working, it might have to do with port forwarding. It's not something I've ever needed to do with Steam, so it's unusual, but they do provide instructions so it's evidently required sometimes.

Required ports

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

The new wireless network isn't a private network and steam is blocked by the firewall?

This.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

^ Long story, I've just had my connection reset by my ISP and I'm running out of the master socket and not an extension. So it's almost twice as fast as it was before. It's a brand new Belkin wireless network adapter versus a very old ethernet cable.

Phase two is replacing all my filters and trying some of the suggestions here. I think I need a better router too.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Since the internet is full of foreigners I would also recommend you speak louder and slower.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It's still a 100BASE-T wired network, right? I doubt your internet is faster than that. If it was faster than 100Mbit, theoretically 802.11n 2.4Ghz has more bandwidth, but it rarely is, but dual band 5Ghz or 802.11ac would be.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

^ You are speaking ancient Sanskrit, Awesome.

In any case I suspect a moody DAT file or something might have been to blame. A good blast of CCleaner has done the trick and now I can play online with wirelessly.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

sonsofgygax.JPG