What you did today

Rosbjerg

Yeah, it's either drop a pot over it to cut off oxygen, or throw the damp towel across the top of it.

I guess those primal reactions hit you first.. ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Well, I thinkin theory you're suppose dto put a blanket over the damn' pan, but my first reaction was something like "Bastard's on fire! F***ing cheek! Well, that's going outside, then!"

I have had the exact same instinctual reaction to a pan of would-be brandy sauce that flamed up far more than I was anticipating. 

Of course, as the fire was fueled by about 3 ounces of liquor, it died down before I got to the back door, and didn't do much more than shorten all the hair on my right forearm (and make a nice au poivre).  That didn't affect my initial "I'm moving this ****er to the patio before it burns my damned house down!" reaction, though.

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

Nice to see my fight or flight is capable of combining. Actually I'm mainly glad that I did ANYTHINg rather than just stand and admire it. Even a couple more seconds would have meant a lot worse damage to the kitchen units. As it is it's mostly soot everywhere. And I've just managed to get most of it off. I tell you cream cleaner is GENIUS.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Actually I'm mainly glad that I did ANYTHINg rather than just stand and admire it.

Reminds me of when the heating element in my oven broke and was sparking and melting despite the oven being turned off; my initial reaction was standing there thinking "Well It shouldn't be doing that...!" instead of doing something sensible like turning the power off at the breaker.

Felt pretty stupid later when it hit me that's what I should have done first, not last.  Thankfully nothing burned, just had to replace the heating element and clean the oven out.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well, I thinkin theory you're suppose dto put a blanket over the damn' pan, but my first reaction was something like "Bastard's on fire! F***ing cheek! Well, that's going outside, then!"

Nomex, the underwear material for champions and accident prone individuals...

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Now that has me imagining Walls in a polyester superman suit swiftly being enveloped as a ball of fire as he runs along...

:lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Now that has me imagining Walls in a polyester superman suit swiftly being enveloped as a ball of fire as he runs along...

Laugh it up, fuzzball. :biggrin:

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, while grabbing a quick shower can be nice.. It will never beat the sheer, decadent luxury of sinking into a hot bathtub for an hour to lazily soak whilst reading a good book... Especially at the end of a day.

I'm getting these pictures in my head and I'm not liking it.

Forgot to mention. Was out running today despite my shoulder. It wasn't the longest distance (2,5 km) and I didn't get the quickest time, but I'm just happy that I can actually exercise. I'll run more and more as time goes on, I'll just have to take it easy so I don't overdo it the first few times. 

feelsgoodman.gif

Edited by Labadal

...glad you and your kitchen are ok, but ... rofl.gif

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'll be honest, I kinda imagine him running it out, with one arm on fire in his footie pajamas (with superman logo), then on the way back in he goes to scratch his rear only THEN realizing that the arm he's using to scratch his rear is on fire, which is why he's got the burns only in those to places.

• Like 2

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

In that scenario, I can just see him dying a grisly death. Hm, makes me wonder how suitable the fire extinguisher we have is...and if it's still charged.

Hating house life - endless people ringing our doorbell. Environmentalists, kids begging for cash so they can play soccer or some scam, politicians, crooked hot water heater salesmen, gyah.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'll be honest, I kinda imagine him running it out, with one arm on fire in his footie pajamas (with superman logo), then on the way back in he goes to scratch his rear only THEN realizing that the arm he's using to scratch his rear is on fire, which is why he's got the burns only in those to places.

Haha....superman footies. Haha....

Hating house life - endless people ringing our doorbell. Environmentalists, kids begging for cash so they can play soccer or some scam, politicians, crooked hot water heater salesmen, gyah.

In black marker, write out a large "No sales" sign, then underneath that, in scraggly purple crayon, add "Beware of Barney" and tape it with a large piece of visible, jagged duct tape to a window near the door.
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

In that scenario, I can just see him dying a grisly death. Hm, makes me wonder how suitable the fire extinguisher we have is...and if it's still charged.

Have you tried claiming that you work for Halliburton and your contract stipulates no private sponsorship for anti-bribery reasons?

This will work for two reasons:

1) No-one really understands anti-bribery legislation

2) Everyone knows Halliburton are evil

-Elwood Blues

Have you tried claiming that you work for Halliburton and your contract stipulates no private sponsorship for anti-bribery reasons?

This will work for two reasons:

1) No-one really understands anti-bribery legislation

But it's really simp- right...

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Knackered my throat yesterday singing Graveyard - The Siren. Thanks a bunch for recommending it :).

-Elwood Blues

Warm sunny day. Just got back from helping mow the lawn over my grandmothers. She's definitely beginning to look a little frail.

In black marker, write out a large "No sales" sign, then underneath that, in scraggly purple crayon, add "Beware of Barney" and tape it with a large piece of visible, jagged duct tape to a window near the door.

I've just answered the door with a kitchen knife between my teeth and an annoyed look, actually made a little girl recoil. The Jehovah's witnesses are undeterred by that though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've just answered the door with a kitchen knife between my teeth and an annoyed look, actually made a little girl recoil. The Jehovah's witnesses are undeterred by that though.

As I think I may have mentioned before I just told them that I couldn't rule out needing to kill someone for Queen, Country etc. When they objected that many LDS are in the Armed Forces I put it to them that I had no intention of joining a group which failed to take its own commandments seriously.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 2

-Elwood Blues

Today, I work on my computer.  Because my muscles are sore as the last two days I've done nothing but try to clean my office out.  The previous occupiers had accumulated a rather copious amount of paperwork (so much so at some point they stopped filing it and just created stacks and stacks).  When I was first moved to this location and taking over this area, I went through and eliminated everything that was unimportant (like copies of recipes printed from the internet or 15 copies of the same draft memo or notes taken from a conference a decade ago).

Now however I have time to actually go through and organize the remaining stuff, like getting the personnel files in order rather than having a stack of files covering the last decade using the paper equivalent of an archeologist looking at rock layers and determining what stuff in the layer corresponds to some fixed point in time to find something I wanted.

Unfortunately I also brought a fair bit of files with me so I've been eliminating some of that stuff too.  Big re-organization required of one of my important files though, which will take some time to do.  But summer is shaping up to be low key (a relief after last summer).

As I think I may have mentioned before I just told them that I couldn't rule out needing to kill someone for Queen, Country etc. When they objected that many LDS are in the Armed Forces I put it to them that I had no intention of joining a group which failed to take its own commandments seriously.

LDS =/ Jehovah's Witnesses.  The latter might HAVE been put out by being told you would kill for country, as some of the groups I've encountered are against getting too chummy with the secular world, particularly the governmental institutions.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The best part about where I live is you need 4wd to get here this time of year since it's at the end of a 3/4 mile (a little less than 2 km to most of you) dirt road. That tends to discourage unauthorized visitors. Plus a have a sign that says in no uncertain terms that trespassers will be used for target practice! Even the LDS & Jehovah's Witnesses folks find their recruiting fervor dampened by that!  :lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

If one of them does show up at your door, you have to at least listen to them :lol:

• Like 1

If one of them does show up at your door, you have to at least listen to them :lol:

Heck after all that I'll invite them in for a cup of coffee! Such determination has to be admired at least! :lol:  

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

Had an aunt turn up , which sucked away a chunk of the afternoon that was planned.

Now trying to stir up some enthusiasm and focus to poke at some banking details, terminology, forms, and accountancy related gubbins..

Heck after all that I'll invite them in for a cup of coffee! Such determination has to be admired at least! :lol:  

Do it naked though...

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I usually have more fun asking them where my pizza is and how is it that they're so well-dressed on a pizza deliveryman's pay.

Thoroughly enjoying the @redweddingtears twitter. Sadistically, even. I don't want to accuse all of the hysterical Robb Stark fans of being illiterate, but their death threats, ludicrous demands for him to be resurrected (ironic in a certain fashion,) and threats to boycott Game of Thrones and cancel their HBO subscriptions is hilarious, especially given the fact that Robb wasn't actually that major a character in the books. But, if the hysteria surrounding it is anything to go by, the producers deserve praise for successfully generating a ****storm of frothing rage over something that was public knowledge before 9/11.

Edited by AGX-17