What you did today

Rosbjerg

I hate summer, it's getting muggy and hot here. Still don't get these idiots that like days where the humidity makes it feel like 38 C. Combined with the pollution, it's awful. But at least we got a thunderstorm last night, even though that made one of our dogs freak out.

Now to be productive as I woke up early today...I'll play SMAC.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This weekend it's become warm here, too. Don't know if it'll last (summer weather has been oddball lately) but at the moment it's the type where I stay in my air-conditioned room. Every time I go into the living room I start sweating. Maybe in a few hours the bay breeze will show up and cool it off a bit.

Went out and got another sandwich from the deli we found. They're still nothing like my nostalgic memory of deli's when I was a kid, but not bad. I'm pleased.

Now to alternate between leg stretches, video game, and resting under the A/C fan.

Btw, I was told I should wear actual shoes with high arch supports more often, because my flat feet cause the knees/legs/hips to move inward a bit while walking, causing stress. (I'm not pigeon toed, it's just the result of having no arch to prevent footroll).  I dislike wearing shoes indoors, but it's a point. Altho it seems to affect my ankles more than anything else. I remember walking on tip toes a lot as a kid for the same reason.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Once I finish paying some bills, returning some e-mails and checking in with you folks I'm going to pour a stiff drink, Knob Creek with a splash of ginger ale, and then I'm going to sit on the porch, watch the rain and think about what a great week this has been!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

With the awfully wet and cold weather outside I had to decide between aquatic adaption or bumming around indoors being all grumpy, bored but dry. Even though I'm quite waterproof I like to have my body water percentage at comfortable 65% so I chose to stay indoors.

Later I made the day a little more interesting with biceps curls drop stints and french presses. Man, the pump! I swear, if I had arm-wrestled Hulk Hogan after those biceps curls I could have ripped his arm off and thrown his lifeless body into orbit, thats how strong I felt. Weight exercise rocks more than any drug. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Hubby and I aren't one's to celebrate or even remember things like birthdays/anniversaries ... but I was sitting here thinking about something, and realized the 20 year mark since our wedding has come and gone. Our first official date I was 17.5 and he was 20 so that makes ... 27 years total. Sheesh. No wonder I can't imagine life without him now. :biggrin:

On that note, think I'll crawl into bed and snuggle his snoring person.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Look at the bright side, you'll have more time for gaming.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

We're a week into the remodeling project.  It's gone reasonably well, I guess.  Old structure demolished, new one framed and roofed, waiting on plumbing and electrical (and their related county inspections) before we can close in and do cabinets, flooring, etc.  Some additional costs, but we planned for such, and there haven't been any showstoppers. 

For example, apparently, you shouldn't have 2 sinks and a washing machine draining into a pipe that is only 2" in diameter.  Correcting this means jackhammering large holes into the concrete floor in the basement and digging down 2 feet to find the 4" main, so that you can connect a new 3" drain line to it (a.k.a., an extra $1750 in plumbing work, and $1500 for the concrete & tile work to fix the holes the plumber made).  Also, the first thing the plumbers said in going through the basement was "hey, you know your water heater is leaking, right?" :facepalm: (They're going to get me an estimate on replacing that tomorrow.  We knew it was past its expected lifespan and all, but the cost hitting now is a mite inconvenient.) 

No movement yet on the possible-promotion thing.  They extended the deadline for applicants by a week a few hours after I got my materials in.  I'm not sure if I should be reading anything into that or not.  :getlost:  I'm expecting to be contacted about scheduling an interview any day now. 

I did reach out to the guy who had this job for my first 5 years with the agency, and we've scheduled a lunch in a couple weeks.  So even if nothing comes of this, the fact that it pushed me into reconnecting with him is a positive, both on a personal and a long-term-career-networking basis.  (I do like the guy, and his new job is only 3 subway stops away.  I'm just terrible at keeping in touch with people who I no longer see in the regular course of my life.)  

Edited by Enoch

I'm just terrible at keeping in touch with people who I no longer see in the regular course of my life.)  

Everybody is... I'm actually better than average at it, but since I've spent most of the past few years working with absolutely gorgeous women, I have to avoid doing what I'd normally do to not seem like the guy with the office crush who can't let go. >_<

Been a really warm week here, my penthouse is fairly scalding at the moment. Can't do anything more mentally challenging than play call of duty or battlefield*... of which I'll share some thoughts in the other thread.

*Or go get plastered in some bar with a nice terrace, which is what normal people do.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

No movement yet on the possible-promotion thing.  They extended the deadline for applicants by a week a few hours after I got my materials in.  I'm not sure if I should be reading anything into that or not.  :getlost:  I'm expecting to be contacted about scheduling an interview any day now. 

I think you said that few people had applied when you did. This is Big HR at work, surely? They need a certain number of applications or they can't tick a number of *antiHR rant preemptively snipped*

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think you said that few people had applied when you did. This is Big HR at work, surely? They need a certain number of applications or they can't tick a number of *antiHR rant preemptively snipped*

I have no idea how many actual applicants they got.  I've spoken with a few folks I'm friendly with who I thought might give it a go, and they told me that they hadn't.  We've got HR folks, of course, but for an internal promotion like this, the decisions are all handled by the chain-of-command within my group.  It might be as innocent as somebody who wanted to apply getting swamped with their current responsibilities and requesting an extension.  (It's not that urgent to fill the position immediately, and we wouldn't want to exclude somebody because they were really busy at their current job.)  Or it could be a "we only had 2 applicants, and they both suck; let's extend the deadline and strongly encourage X & Y to apply." 

Edited by Enoch

Currently filing the proper paperwork to become a driver from the Desmoines Airport to Ames a couple of times a week

DADDY DOESN'T WORK FOR MCDONALDS ANYMORE!

• Like 11

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, while grabbing a quick shower can be nice.. It will never beat the sheer, decadent luxury of sinking into a hot bathtub for an hour to lazily soak whilst reading a good book... Especially at the end of a day.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Currently filing the proper paperwork to become a driver from the Desmoines Airport to Ames a couple of times a week

Congratulations.  Would that be a public bus, or a private shuttle?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, while grabbing a quick shower can be nice.. It will never beat the sheer, decadent luxury of sinking into a hot bathtub for an hour to lazily soak whilst reading a good book... Especially at the end of a day.

That's why I take really long, hot showers.

I've gone through taking a bath periods but even if the tub is fairly large, if it's not a deep hot tub where I can sit straighter with water still up to my chin, it's just not that comfy for me. It's an upper back/neck thing. But it's definitely great for muscle tension.

So where's your Dad's new job, Calax?

Congratulations.  Would that be a public bus, or a private shuttle?

Shuttle company. They're small, and this is the brand new branch. Apparently there's a lot of "what the heck?" from the main office because they keep assuming that this one doesn't have things that they do (particularly, a large bus), and they're low on people.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Made some tasty sliced teriyaki beef sandwiches for dinner.

Currently watching reality crime TV via Netflix ("I (Almost) Got Away With It"). The best way to watch such programs.

For 'hot bath' read "sun-rotted carcass of a pig"

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Trying to get my sleep cycle back in check, which is always fun. Felt totally shattered crawling out of bed.

Ah well, on with the day.

Currently trying to sort out my mother's drug supplies for the next 7 days. And being interupted by the dogs repeatedly...

Nearly set fire to the kitchen with an oil pan fire.

Carried the pan outside on fire, burned my arm and (strangely) my right buttock. Not too badly. Just singed, mostly.

I feel like a hero retard. Like superman.

EDIT: I can only assume that I was moving at such speed that the flames must have enveloped my right side. ****ing good thing I hadn't changed into anything polyester. Could have been damned inconvenient.

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

Now that has me imagining Walls in a polyester superman suit swiftly being enveloped as a ball of fire as he runs along...

Well, I thinkin theory you're suppose dto put a blanket over the damn' pan, but my first reaction was something like "Bastard's on fire! F***ing cheek! Well, that's going outside, then!"

-Elwood Blues