The Internet and How it Ruins Us

Blarghagh

Read an article just now by Paul Miller, who has just returned to the internet after an experiment of not using it for a year where he comes to the conclusion that using internet or not doesn't change that much at all, except that you're less connected to people. An interesting read considering how it's practically accepted that the internet has ruined social interaction. It's a bit of a journal type retrospective rather than an in depth analysis, but I thought it was a nifty perspective.

Link:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/1/4279674/im-still-here-back-online-after-a-year-without-the-internet

Read an article just now by Paul Miller, who has just returned to the internet after an experiment of not using it for a year where he comes to the conclusion that using internet or not doesn't change that much at all, except that you're less connected to people. An interesting read considering how it's practically accepted that the internet has ruined social interaction. It's a bit of a journal type retrospective rather than an in depth analysis, but I thought it was a nifty perspective.

Link:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/1/4279674/im-still-here-back-online-after-a-year-without-the-internet

Good read.  Just wrote one thing and erased it. I think the internet has given me a lot of new ways to interact and learn from and support people I just wouldn't otherwise. The best and worst being you arseholes. ;)

The internet has softened all my interactions as it broadened them. So I know a lot of people not very well, while my close friends have dwindled.

Actually, I'm not even sure about that. I've always thought that friends are the people you do stuff with. The internet lets me do basically just gaming. And its hard to think of any actually meaningful friend-forging experiences you can have while gaming.

Maybe because gaming and the internet, when it stops being fun, you turn it off.

Hm.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well I saw some psychology/sociology studies that most "friendships" last around 7 years before you end up falling out of contact with them (and yes, that's the real-life ones, not just the internet weirdos you chat to...).

So take a step back and think about how many people you knew in real life 7 years ago that you still chat to, see, or communicate in any meaningful way. Then compare to how many folks you semi-chat to/at on these boards and how long that's been going on... :shifty:  Or at least, how many people you made the acquaintance of over the internet 7 years ago.

Heh, I know I have a couple of friends I've been talking to via online technology for a decade at least. In a couple of occasions some of those friends have hooked up, moved countries and gotten married to other friends on the internet in that time frame....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The internet doesn't change your basic personality. If you're a non-social couch potato, you're likely going to be one with or without the internet in your life. The internet just gives you a reason to give to other people and to yourself.

What I think the internet can do (to some people) is reduce their in-person social skills ... because of disuse. Use it or lose it, as they say. If one uses the internet too often as a substitute for in-person socialization, one starts to lose the skills of how to communicate in person, when there's no editing, no DEL key, no pause button, no "well I don't want to answer/deal with that so I'm leaving the page."

Of course, this happens if you're just sitting at home reading books 24/7, too...but the 'net tends to give one the feeling that you're still working certain social skills, when you're not...or at least, it's a different kind of social skill. Kinda like how one can be the talker in a close relationship but fall silent during a party, because being talky in a comfortable/easy situation (spouse/friends or faceless 'net) isn't the same as being talky in a room full of strangers staring you in the face, waiting for you to speak. If you want to be a dynamo public speaker, you need to practice offline. :p

So I don't find the guy's "findings" surprising at all. Like anything else, the internet is a tool, and how one uses it, and how "bad" (or good) it is to someone's psyche, lifestyle, etc. just depends on the individual.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

BBC Report on smartphone addiction: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22397932

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

As long as people don't play with their stupid smartphones all the time when you are going somewhere / do something together, they can be as addicted to this crap as they like to, imo...

Damn, I hate it so much if you are going out and everyone is typing stuff on the phone.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Internet pros are the same as its cons. So far it's worked out for us.

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

For all the 4chan b/tardedness out there...

For all the anonymity that affords users to toss about homophobic/racist/misogynist/generally bigoted slurs out there...

For all the social networking that emphasises a "don't want to say this to your face" approach to interpersonal relationships...

I think we've turned out for the better because of the internet.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

For all the 4chan b/tardedness out there...

For all the anonymity that affords users to toss about homophobic/racist/misogynist/generally bigoted slurs out there...

For all the social networking that emphasises a "don't want to say this to your face" approach to interpersonal relationships...

I think we've turned out for the better because of the internet.

Pretty much. I see it is as a proof that humans have a huge demand to express themselves freely.  

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

One thing I used to like about the internet was helping people when they had questions about ... whatever it is I might have some personal knowledge or experience with. But since I'm not a rocket scientist or encyclopedia, these days that occurs less and less often as most of the time the "just Google/wiki it" mentality kicks in and thus a lot of questions are rarely asked to begin with.

Probably why I like gaming forums right after a game is released ... for a couple weeks at least, people can't "just google it" and info questing/help discussions still takes place. ;)

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I am randomly reminded of David Mitchell saying

"Twitter is for people who won't shut up, even when they're on their own."

-Elwood Blues