What is most importan part of characters (npc, party members etc)

characters  

91 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most important thing about characters in games ? (multi answer)

• Their emotions/ ractions to the word.
    • Their history
    • Their look (handsome etc)
    • Their motivations.
    • Their ralationships with other characters.
    • Their abilities
  2. 2. What traits do you prefer to see in characters in game ? (multi)

• Wisdom/ inteligence and logical motivation
    • calm/peaceful
    • Agression
    • madness/ crazyness. (not logical, sometimes scary motivation)
    • courage and ability to overcome difficulties
    • sociability/ friendliness
    • no sociability (not friendly, solitary)
    • Depressed, sad, with difficult experiences
    • Complaxed (characters that show multiple types above sometimes combined, sometimes hidden)
    • Not complaxed ones (stereotypical)

Complex, sort of grey (as opposed to black and white) characters are the most interesting to me. I would like a healthy mix though. Also no super model looks as standard. That's just gives things a redculous feel, in my opinion. I'd like a good mix of appearances too.

Also no super model looks as standard. That's just gives things a redculous feel, in my opinion. I'd like a good mix of appearances too.

Strangely enough, a good mix of appearances would be weakened by a complete lack of any super model appearance. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Create characters as awesome and unique as irenicus, jaheira, mellisan or Korgan.

Hire the very best voice actors and give the characters great story lines.

Make them fall in love with you, hate you, befriend you, annoy you.

Will always love you Jaheria.

Edited by oneda

The problem with the poll is how all the answers should be related. A charcter reacts to the world because of their history with it, they react to other characters based on their personality, their looks usually dictate their skills and their motivations should be the drive behind everything they do. I also strongly oppose the idea you can sum up a character's whole personality in a single word. A character with only one emotional state is a character without an arc or any real complexity. A good character would tick every box for both questions.

Basically the correct answer is "They should be like Kriea". She's the total package baby.

Edited by Bhazor
  • Like 1

Create characters as awesome and unique as irenicus, jaheira, mellisan or Korgan.

Yes but don't putt them in the box "lawful evil" "Natural very natural" or "chaotic good" ... let me decide if they are bad or good ... and even if they are wrong ... at least let them be logical ... (so i can logical persuade them if theyr wrong)

On the first question, it looks like the only options that can get some leeway is "Their abilities". If a character has underdeveloped any of the other options they are not as good as they could be.

As for the second one - a mix is probably the best. Complexity is great, but how can you not want somebody like Minsc to have as some light-hearted relief. How boring five aggressive NPCs would be without a calm / peaceful one to try to put them in order? What fun would five crazy ones be without at least one sensible person to show how crazy they really are? And so on. I'd rather have it all, as it should be doable in a party of six.

I like solitary sorts, altho this doesn't mean they have to be belligerent or actual idiots when it comes to social conventions. They just prefer not to partake of them when possible.

I like tragic characters, whether complex or simple. Probably because they're the stereotype to make me give a hoot about what happens to them. eg, I'm a sucker for such. It's nice if they also have a sarcastic sense of humor to go along with it. Most other stereotyped personalities don't affect me emotionally, hence I treat them like red-shirts. Especially if they're too happy-go-lucky. I usually want to strangle those chr. types. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't much care for the poll options.

For me, whether it's literature or in games, I want my characters to be three dimensional; believable motives, believable reactions, depth.  Stats, looks and all of that other crap really doesn't mean anything to me if the character fails the verisimilitude test.

Kreia is the most epic character I have ever seen, very complex, unpredictable, a mystery in itself.
She was truly "alive".

• Like 1

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves: You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin (RIP!)

Yes but don't putt them in the box "lawful evil" "Natural very natural" or "chaotic good" ... let me decide if they are bad or good ... and even if they are wrong ... at least let them be logical ... (so i can logical persuade them if theyr wrong)

I like the "lawful evil-boxes" hehe. But what I would like to see is for the party members to make a stand at certain points. If I hire a chaotic evil character then it would be cool to have another neutral or good party member approach me at some point to tell me:

"You know that Captain Evil will betray us eventually, don't you?"

If a character lacks any sign of compassion, loyalty and morale then let them lead me into an ambush at some point, try to kill me or what not.

Let a good character tell me that she wants to handle a certain problem (quest) differently. If I fail to follow her wishes/orders she leaves or even threatens to alarm the authorities. What I am getting at is that I want the npcs not to simply follow me and let me do all the decisions.

All in all I liked the side quests of the npcs. Their stories were nicely done and they had believable motivations. Their problems were both simple but very authentic. I really enjoyed influencing Anomen, altering his wish to wage war, even changing his allignment.

That was good stuff. Most other games comletely fail or dont even try to achieve that level of depth.

Kreia is the most epic character I have ever seen, very complex, unpredictable, a mystery in itself.

She was truly "alive".

The best part about Kriea is you could never tell if she loved you, hated you or saw you as God. Usually it  was all three at once. The way she was manipulating the rest of the party behind your back (mind controlling Atton, enslaving the Wookie, reprogramming the bots) also made those characters much more interesting. Which is my point about how character's should be changeable and complex. You certainly shouldn't be able to sum them up in a couple words.

• Like 1

Also no super model looks as standard. That's just gives things a redculous feel, in my opinion. I'd like a good mix of appearances too.

Strangely enough, a good mix of appearances would be weakened by a complete lack of any super model appearance. :)

Yes that's true. I hope it didn't seem like I suggested that.

Edited by Agremont

I need at least one girl as hot as Jaheira or I won't play the game.

Ewww! I don't understand you Jaheira lovers... She never really attracted me, but I suppose it could have something to do with voice actress. Maybe in English version she is the hottest one, but in my language Viconia was always clear choice. I had ear boner every time she opened her perfect evil mouth  :wub:

• Like 2

signqev.jpg

I think in PE there should be more "dialogue" with more than just two people involved. Speaking of BG 2, the banter between Korgan, Jan Jansen, Edwin and Tiax in the Asylum was one of my absolute highlights in the game. One of the rare moments were I got the feeling that I was actually travelling with a party. 

Yes that's true. I hope it didn't seem like I suggested that.

Not at all. You actually even specified "as standard," which doesn't mean that they never exist in any rarity. Just thought it was interesting, is all, :)

Also, @forfs... Your signature is PRICELESS!

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Different characters should be just that.

I believe they should be 100% of that, with the addition of a bag of very thin, crispy slices of potato. u_u

.. so I ticked all the boxes. :(

Because I like them all if they're well made.

The ones I'd almost not tick, would be the looks or abilities, but heck.

I like companions that can pull their weight and aren't completely revolting.

NWN2, that space-cleric. Too much frogskin-cleavage, couldn't handle having her in the party.

And if it's some cute little thing who's getting pulverized in every fight, that's both frustrating

and makes me want to protect her by leaving her out of the party.

I need at least one girl as hot as Jaheira or I won't play the game.

Ewww! I don't understand you Jaheira lovers... She never really attracted me, but I suppose it could have something to do with voice actress. Maybe in English version she is the hottest one, but in my language Viconia was always clear choice. I had ear boner every time she opened her perfect evil mouth  :wub:

Haha, yeah. Viconia had a sexy voice, but I could never see myself dating her or something cause she was simply to warped.

Jaheira was just cool. Not the über-sexy type of woman but she had personality and was funny too. Seeing her trying to come to terms with her duties and her loyalty towards the main character makes her hard to forget. And yes, the English voice acting was very good. But ever since I went to the us as an exchange student in the 11th grade I started to watch movies in English and play games in English.

German dubbing is good, but nothing can ever reach the original voice of actors. Once I realized how much better movies are in their original language I now would never watch a cool movie that was dubbed. But that's another story.

YOu gotta love Jaheira man. How can you not love her. Play the game now and give her some love...

YOu gotta love Jaheira man. How can you not love her. Play the game now and give her some love...

Cold hearted messed up wench. She was already hitting on me 20 minutes into BG2, considering what just happened and found out in irenicus' dungeon, that's way too soon. Totally messed up crazy in the head. Had to dump her from the party for her own good...

• Like 2

Cold hearted messed up wench. She was already hitting on me 20 minutes into BG2, considering what just happened and found out in irenicus' dungeon, that's way too soon. Totally messed up crazy in the head. Had to dump her from the party for her own good...

I must agreee Jaheira is always feel bit crazy to me also, but I loved to keep her, Viconia and Aerie in party as Jaheira and Viconia  constantly pick Aerie for her innocence and goody two-shoes attitude, which in my opinion was best writen bantering whole game.

• Like 1

Hm, I played the game a lot of times and never did I have the impression that Jaheira was "hitting" on me early on. She initially starts commenting on the friendship (if you are of good allignment and keep her in the party) toward the main character and shows general sympathies. But that hardly qualifies as open or agressive sexual advances. Not once did I have such an impression.

And no cold hearted person would react so strongly after the death of the partner or defend a friend so fiercely even when said friendship is attacked by her very own ppl. She then shows where her true loyalty lies. Ultimatley shes a moral person rather than somebody following her faith blindly.

If her voice acting or actions don't suit you then that is another story and personal preference. But she is definitely and without a doubt not cold hearted.

Edited by oneda