La neuvième art (comics you've been reading)

Agiel

Where have the original Fantastic Four gone?

In the Ultimate U they broke up after Reed neglected Sue due to his obsession with Dr Doom, Johnny took off to hang with Peter Parker after his dad died, Sue took over the Baxter Building (think tank for under-age geniuses), and Ben joined SHIELD After killing Doom. Eventually Reed's depression, his constantly evolving intellect, and desire to build a perfect world turned him into a villain and he's now responsible for the destruction of Asgard and the absorbtion of most of northern Europe into a futuristic hive-mind.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

In the regular universe they are now the Marvel equivalent of the magic bus, with super powered kids. Although Reed still shows on major events every time they need someone smart to do something ridiculously stupid. Personally I think he doesn't even care ever since WWH; when the smartest man in the world agrees to shoot the Hulk into space in a rocket all I can assume is the he either doesn't care or he isn't that smart.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I picketed up a strange book called The Saviors. It seems like a pretty cool invasion story featuring a stoner. Would recommend to anyone burned out by Big2 superhero stuff.

Where have the original Fantastic Four gone?

In the Ultimate U they broke up after Reed neglected Sue due to his obsession with Dr Doom, Johnny took off to hang with Peter Parker after his dad died, Sue took over the Baxter Building (think tank for under-age geniuses), and Ben joined SHIELD After killing Doom. Eventually Reed's depression, his constantly evolving intellect, and desire to build a perfect world turned him into a villain and he's now responsible for the destruction of Asgard and the absorbtion of most of northern Europe into a futuristic hive-mind.

Why hasn't someone put Ultimate out of its misery already? Are they trying to get worse than Alan Moore's recent work?

In the regular universe they are now the Marvel equivalent of the magic bus, with super powered kids. Although Reed still shows on major events every time they need someone smart to do something ridiculously stupid. Personally I think he doesn't even care ever since WWH; when the smartest man in the world agrees to shoot the Hulk into space in a rocket all I can assume is the he either doesn't care or he isn't that smart.

I don't think the current management of Marvel knows how to properly handle the FF or Spider-Man to be honest.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Current storyline in the Ultimate U has Galactus from 616 rampaging. Supposedly everything Reed had done was in an attempt to prevent his arrival.

Aftermath of the story results in 3 new books. Spider-Man, Ultimate Future Foundation (Team of Falcon, Sue Storm, Tony Stark, and Machine Man, who is a Ga Lak Tus drone with I think Bruce Banner's conciousness), and All New Ultimates, which is a team of Miles Morales, Kitty Pride, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Drew, and Bombshell

Devastatorsig.jpg

While I find the idea of the real Galactus eating the Ultimate universe hilarious, I'm willing to bet the execution is ****.

The new titles sound bad as well.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Ultimate Spider-Man has been one of Marvel's consistently well written titles, as far as I know, Bendis is still doing the new one so that shouldn't change. The Future Foundation one actually sounds interestig, sadly its Fialkov's brain-child so it will be bad.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I haven't read any, but Star Lord has some sort of pea**** themed costume now instad of his badass soldier looking one.

Devastatorsig.jpg

While I find the idea of the real Galactus eating the Ultimate universe hilarious, I'm willing to bet the execution is ****.

I too often dream of someone purging the Ultimate universe from existence. The point was that it was an Universe where all bets were off an characters could be killed, but now its more like an Universe populated with edgy teenager version of Superheroes.

That sucks, they were the only cool Marvel superheroes.

EDIT: oh wait, new Guardians of the Galaxy any good? Those guys were cool too.

I like GoG, it's one of those good cape comics that fly under the radar.

On that note I can also recommend X-Factor.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Reed discovered that their powers are slowly killing them convinces the other to take their kids on a tour of the universe under the guise of letting their kids experience the vastness of reality but in truth so he can search for a cure.   So the magic bus trip was motivated, I think.

Turns out, their powers were killing them because of an alternate universe Fantastic Four that sent their powers to 616 in order to bring the FF there to defeate their Dr. Doom (who having taken the kingdoms and powers of Annihlus and Kang is now known as Doom the Annihilating Conqueror, in control of time, space AND the Negative Zone).

Anyhow he invented a device that allowed him to return for Illuminati meetings (they're currently fighting the collapse of the multi-verse by destroying alternate earths that incur onto the 616 earth).

Meanwhile in the 616 Universe Scott "Ant-Man" Lang, Jennifer "She-Hulk" Walters, Medusalith "Medusa" Amaquelin Boltagon and Darla "Ms. Thing" Deering are running the Future Foundation when the 616 Doom teams up with...Annihlus and young Kang (fresh off his stint as Iron Lad from Young Avengers).  So the two stories kind of tie into one another.

Anyhow Hickman's Fantastic Four was awesome (and I believe post-dates WWH) and I'm looking forward to James "JSA" Robinson's take in a few months.

RE: GOG - I don't think the current title is a shadow of the previous title personally.  Dropped it, then some friend insisted it gotten better, I picked it up and found it to be the same and dropped it again.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I picked up the second issue of Red Rover Charlie today. Was pretty damn good.

I too often dream of someone purging the Ultimate universe from existence. The point was that it was an Universe where all bets were off an characters could be killed, but now its more like an Universe populated with edgy teenager version of Superheroes.

I can't disagree with this at all. I wish they would put a better creative team on Spider-Man too.

Its actually the opposite. It started as edgy teenage versions of superheroes and now its all bets are off with characters being killed.The point of it was to do a modern take on the marvel U for new readers. Its actually one of the things I don't like now. They have forgotten that a lot of these characters are young. Reed Richards was like 16 or 17 in the first issue of Ultimate FF, most of the X-Men were just graduating. Kitty was in Peter Parkers high school class, now she's leader of all mutants and its been like a year since she dropped out.

One of the problems is they've killed too many people who drive stories, and hhaven't replaced them. Doom, Magneto, Xavier, Cyclops, Gregory Stark(Original character, Tony's brother, business rival, and former director of SHIELD) Red Skull, Hank Pym, Wolverine, etc. All dead, and while they stepped up with Kitty, Reed, and Miles Morales, there's really a shortage of big players now.

The Ultimate universe is an excellent example why you shouldn't kill off your villains.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'll but a slice of your theory about the villains driving the stories. But I'd add that I've never liked the Marvel villains. Or the other one. You can't have a credible evil, wearing a cape.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Dracula wore a cape, or is he exempt because everyone was wearing cloaks and capes?

Started reading Dark Horse's Brain Boy.  So far so good.  I'm liking how DH is putting together its heroric characters, a bit of the old (Ghost, X), a bit of refurbished old (GA Captain Midnight, SA Brain Boy, SA Skyman) and some totally new (Occultist).

Also digging Hickman's Manhatten Projects and East of West (the latest issue of the latter waiting for me when I catch up with Brain Boy).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Also digging Hickman's Manhatten Projects and East of West (the latest issue of the latter waiting for me when I catch up with Brain Boy).

Just picked up the trade of Manhattan projects. It was pretty damn good.

Gregory Stark(Original character, Tony's brother, business rival, and former director of SHIELD) 

Well when you say it like that, that sounds exactly like who this mysteriously unrevealed-so-far 'Clairvoyant' character on Agents of SHIELD could be. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Gregory Stark(Original character, Tony's brother, business rival, and former director of SHIELD) 

Well when you say it like that, that sounds exactly like who this mysteriously unrevealed-so-far 'Clairvoyant' character on Agents of SHIELD could be. 

Its possible, thought all of Gregory's powers were tech-based. He had nano-machines in his blood that projected force fields which gave him invulnerability and super strength. I believe he could also emit energy using them. If the Clairvoyant is just a nickname rather than describing what he can do, then its possible. I doubt it though, you couldn't have him without Tony, and I don't know if RDJ is interested in an extended arc on Agents of SHIELD.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For any UK readers here, Marvel is doing a mini called Revolutionary War featuring the old Marvel UK characters from the 90s. Deaths Head, Dark Angel, Captain Britain, Knights of Pendragon, etc.

Revolutionary_War_Alpha_Vol_1_1.jpg

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

Catching up on Les cités obscures ("The Obscure Cities") which is an anthology series taking place on a Counter Earth after hearing about an English translation of L'enfant penchee (The Leaning Girl) which was funded by Kickstarter.

47aec92cc52b6c14081455ef1629de78_large.j

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Just picked up Ales Kot's Zero. Seems like a really good espionage series, the artist changes from issue to issue so the feel is somewhat fluid.

Finished CARBON GREY.  Got a bit too metafictionally for me in the end.  Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it but I feel the series didn't make the most of its idea (almost being a travelog for a longer story, in many respects) and the end - while set up properly - would have had a better impact if the story had played out longer, IMO.

Read the latest POPEYE collection which is always fun.  Also read the first collection of the Occultist - a fun magic hero vs demons/undead/wizards series.

And caught up with all my monthly comics reading.

Currently going through DC's CREATURE COMMANDOS collection.  One of the stories I was surprised that it managed to get past the censors of the time (including, as it did, children brainwashed by a Hitler double into loving only him, the children being given super-strength through science, the children killing their parents, fighting the Creature Commandos (also products of whacked-out science) only to have their brainwashing crack, turn and kill their Nazi re-programers and fake Hitler before exploding into fleshy masses due to the instability of the science that made them super-strong).  Crazy stuff.

• 7 months later...

Picked up the two volumes of <<Lune d'Argent sur Providence>> ("Silver Moon over Providence"), a <Western fantastique>> (fantasy western) about cowboys and girls fight werewolves, which for reasons that escape me takes place presumably in Rhode Island (that I was under the impression was the most un-cowboy place in the United States at the time it took place in).

LuneArgent2Couv.jpg

In any case, the art is superb and the writing (as far as my admittedly diminishing command of French can tell) keeps me engaged.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling