Characters from games that you HATE and don't whanna see in PE (or even be inspired)

Teenagers are in general difficult to input as "World-savers". Becouse normal teenager when he sees a zombie or ther supernatural crature whoud propably run ...

Thats not becouse thay are cowards, but they still in some way kids that wanna play, enjoy life, make jokes and live their own life ... it is realy hard to make a teenage character that is convincing as world-saver ...

I don't think we shoud play Grand-Farts like Forton but at least 20 year old .. that is still youg but more mature character ...

Teenagers are in general difficult to input as "World-savers". Becouse normal teenager when he sees a zombie or ther supernatural crature whoud propably run ...

Thats not becouse thay are cowards, but they still in some way kids that wanna play, enjoy life, make jokes and live their own life ... it is realy hard to make a teenage character that is convincing as world-saver ...

I don't think we shoud play Grand-Farts like Forton but at least 20 year old .. that is still youg but more mature character ...

You serious?

What about...

Harry Potter (Harry Potter)

Simon (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn)

Daenerys Targaryen (A Game of Thrones / Song of Fire and Ice)

Claire Bennet (Heroes)

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

Out of interest, how many teenagers from medieval times (where they would have been working from a young age anyway) or from the distant future do you personally know?  The idea of a teenager being anything other than a small adult is a pretty modern concept...

I hope we get the full spectrum of ages, including old and young, especially considered that in a fantasy setting combat prowess doesn't necessarily have to be in correlation with strength when there are magic and mystic skills in the offing.

Edited by Alexjh

You serious?

What about...

Claire Bennet (Heroes)

Harry Potter and Deanerys where put in scecial condision and in the preasure they evolved in more adult ones ..

Out of interest, how many teenagers from medieval times (where they would have been working from a young age anyway) or from the distant future do you personally know?  The idea of a teenager being anything other than a small adult is a pretty modern concept...

I hope we get the full spectrum of ages, including old and young, especially considered that in a fantasy setting combat prowess doesn't necessarily have to be in correlation with strength when there are magic and mystic skills in the offing.

I mayby look old but i wasn't living in medival times so "PERSONALLY" i don't know any of them.

Well to be honest in the old days the maturity was perceived to be earlier than now. Look at marriage customs etc. It was also related to relatively shorter life expectancy in society. People living 50+ were rather rare... (look even at late 19th century, when retirement plans were implemented in countries like Germany (Prussia) - they assumed that a tiny fraction of society will be living long enough to actually get the benefits of the "old age (60-65+)". These benefits, are now obtainable by much larger fraction of society, leading often to an increasing public debt in many countries and social discontent when the bar of being eligible for the benefits is being moved higher)

As for the future, I'd say the with longer lifespan, new medicine, etc. we will be displaying "immature" behavior for longer periods of time, but in no way that implies that the "maturity" won't be displayed still in 16-17yrs old. It will be even more rare than it is today. People at this age can already start to work, raise families, handle weapons, etc. It's only the experience they may lack, but the age has nothing to do with experience. As example, who is more experienced - a 18yr old who is living on his own for 2 years already or 28yr old eternal student, who lives off his parents and never touched any kind of job?

As for sci-fi, well how many alien species do you know and how well do you know their cultural and psychological background?

In combat heavy game it would make sense for everyone to be in their prime, so 12 years olds with buster swords are out, even if that one is actually a squire who started sword training when he was 5.

Also concider mature themes and such, even in Game of Thrones series they hired 22 years old actress to play 14 years old Meera Reed, you know (even if what she only does is hunts frogs).

Edited by Shadenuat
  • Like 1

There are plenty of examples in games, books,  shows, movies and even real life where teenagers are involved in "save the world" type stories. In many cases they are heavily involved in the "action" or "combat" aspects too. 

I understand people might not like teenager characters but claiming that they don't "fit" into a game like P.E is crazy. 

You serious?

What about...

Claire Bennet (Heroes)

I really like Simon because in the first book he was an insufferable **** that made me want to put the book down, but as the series went on, the examples of others, plus his experiences, forced him to become someone great.

Sorry for the run on sentence.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I know that it's not going to happen and most of you will disagree, but here it goes:

I say "no" to all MONKS in general. Go be karate-kid somewhere else!

Haha. I know what you mean. They've been mishandled so much in CRPGs over the years.

I am yet to play a satisfying monk character, but I think we now have the chance to get them right.

I see them as a mix of Fighter / Priest / Cipher who specialize in weapons and metaphysic abilities, like in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

The problem is how to handle the unarmed combat. Does it outshine their melee weapon ability or vice versa?

I think the key ingredient to the Monk class is "Discipline".  And for the record, I don't like anything to do with Ninja lore or the multitude of Hollywood misconceptions attributed to Monks over the years. :ninja:

Just saying.

• Like 1

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

Honestly if we're talking younger heroes, then it's not at all a bad thing unless they're badly handled, badly written and such. The age is rarely a problem one way or another, they can be any age. You see the same issue in aged characters, though, bad writing, or their game mechanics not matching up to the writing. When you have characters in their twenties and up characters starting off with no skills, or very little, it always bugs me more than any young character I've seen off on a quest. A young character is often a good eye to look from, to introduce you to the world, be it the main character or a party member who the older, more experienced, main character explains things to - in turn allowing the player to be introduced to concepts about the game world they may not know or understand properly.

I think the key ingredient to the Monk class is "Discipline".  And for
the record, I don't like anything to do with Ninja lore or the multitude
of Hollywood misconceptions attributed to Monks over the years. :ninja:

I'm not going to say misconceptions 'never' happen, but, be the productions eastern, or western, movies the people behind them tend to conjure such variations purposefully, rather than through simple misunderstanding. If it's intentional, it's not a misconception, it's just fiction - and intended to be nothing other than.

The problem is how to handle the unarmed combat. Does it outshine their melee weapon ability or vice versa?

This discussion has come around enough times by now to be tired, but, again, you can't handle it wrong, unless it simply doesn't function in the gameplay mechanics. You, or others, usually a vocal minority, may not like how unarmed combat is handled . . . but that's a taste issue. When there's something obviously supernatural going on, like with the Monk in P:E's fists crackling with energy, there really shouldn't be question as to how or why they're viable.

If we're talking gear issues, then I haven't played an RPG, not even D&D, in recent memory where a Monk didn't still use gear, and have options besides unarmed - and those armed options were also viable. In some they use gloves or claws in place of normal weapons, others use staves and other normal weaponry, and still others use exotic weapons.

The release we had talking about abilities for the non-core classes even noted Monks in P:E could extend their abilities through weapons, not just their fists. Whether the weapons are equally as useful as fists and feet, we'll have to wait and see, but, given they're magically enhanced, even the magically enhanced unarmed viability against arms and armor should be no more questioned than a magical fireball to the face - especially in a setting where pulling upon to soul to enhance yourself was one of the very first concepts introduced, before the Monk itself was even revealed. Enhancing your body to super human extents is a concept in P:E, so an unarmed Monk, fists crackling with supernatural energy, punching through a wall or armor or what have you, shouldn't even cause the blink of an eye, anymore than a Wizard searing a beam of energy through the wall or armor in question.

The question of, "if this what a Monk is" is . . . well, silly, in the modern age where, "Monk" in an RPG purposefully, and intentionally, means something different than it would in any other context. No Hollywood misconceptions here, be the games eastern or western Monks in games have a more action oriented bent, and with purpose.

-

Ideally, however, a P:E Monk, be it unarmed or using a weapon . . . would be equally viable, for purposes of gameplay. Both options being viable creating more build variety, and, thus, ways for players with different tastes to play the Monk in the way they find to their liking.

• Like 1

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

Tough guy who is tough because tough.

Streetsmart boy with a sharp tongue.

Powerful male mage/cleric who's so covered in mystery and intrigue he even ties his shoes in the dark.

This compilation sexist? Deal w/ it

I dunno, did changing the gender make them suddenly okay by you?

• Like 2

Powerful male mage/cleric who's so covered in mystery and intrigue he even ties his shoes in the dark.

Male chars as I've seen them in games tend to have more twists to them even if they're meant to portray an archetype.

Minsc and Korgan are dumb grunts, but the first's grumpiness is offset by his love for little rodents, while the other has some of the best "quibs" in the game.

The streetsmart girl probably comes to mind because it's such an Obs staple, and to me Neeshka and that tiefling from PS:T are imprinted on my mind as some of the most annoying characters of all time.

Maybe the problem is that female characters are often designed in a much more serious tone than their personalities warranted? I find them lacking in ambiguity, often. *shrug*

Male chars as I've seen them in games tend to have more twists to them even if they're meant to portray an archetype.

When you offer a straight yes, or no, to a yes or no question, it doesn't usually bode well for what the actual answer would have been without the provided further explanation.

Minsc and Korgan are dumb grunts, but the first's grumpiness is offset by his love for little rodents, while the other has some of the best "quibs" in the game.

Funny, I always despised Wrex and Minsc.  If I had to pick one out of the two it'd be Wrex but, honestly, in the ME context I'd take Mordin any and every day over Wrex. Wrex? Meh. Sometimes I let Ashley shoot him. Sometimes I shoot him myself. I change it up. ME is a great example of badly handled female characters though, Miranda comes screaming to the forefront of my mind - screaming about how perfect she is. Bleh. Just about all the newly introduced female characters from ME2 made me grind my teeth, though, I can balance that by saying most of the newly introduced male cast caused the same reaction. Except for Mordin, jewel in the rough and light in the tunnel that he is.

Seriously, I have no idea how Mordin happened given the rest of ME2. It's like that monkeys jumping on keyboards until they produce Shakespeare sort of thing I guess. I'm biased though, anything past the first ME tends to furrow my brow.

Bad characters, male or female, are in the majority of games, movies and tv from my view though - very few of either gender are ever well done, but I could just be hard to please. Luckily there are exceptions, and there are some great characters out there. Did I mention I like Mordin? But, still, you don't want to copy or even be inspired by a good character like that beyond, "I want to make a good character too" because, if you just make another Mordin, it's . . . well . . . not good.

In that sense I guess my addition to the thread is, "I don't want to see any characters I've liked in games before" rather, "I want to see new characters, that, hopefully, I'll like as well." I don't want to see a Mordin in this game, even though I loved his character. I want to find new characters to love, and, well, hate. Yeah, I don't need to like every character, it's the reason I can say I'll take Wrex over Minsc. I don't like either of them, but, while I don't like Wrex, he added a good element, and killing him every time I played through ME was entertaining all over again.

:)

• Like 2

I vote Noober/Neeber as well.

The streetsmart girl probably comes to mind because it's such an Obs staple, and to me Neeshka and that tiefling from PS:T are imprinted on my mind as some of the most annoying characters of all time.

Maybe the problem is that female characters are often designed in a much more serious tone than their personalities warranted? I find them lacking in ambiguity, often. *shrug*

Wait Neeshka was more serious?  The character who was always cracking wise?  Don't get me wrong, you don't like a character you don't like a character.  But Neeshka never struck me as terribly serious ("Questions, questions...go ahead, I'm all horns", "I feel this strange, rosy glow all of a sudden. We don't have to hug, do we?", "And I may have accidentally back-stabbed some people in the past, but if they couldn't see me coming, well, that's their loss")

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Wait Neeshka was more serious?  The character who was always cracking wise?  Don't get me wrong, you don't like a character you don't like a character.  But Neeshka never struck me as terribly serious ("Questions, questions...go ahead, I'm all horns", "I feel this strange, rosy glow all of a sudden. We don't have to hug, do we?", "And I may have accidentally back-stabbed some people in the past, but if they couldn't see me coming, well, that's their loss")

She's super serious. Really.

Please never give me another cut-and-paste dwarf companion who swills ale, has a beard, loves fighting, uses an axe or warhammer, hates elves, speaks in a Scottish accent and so forth. Not even if he wants to be a monk and beat people up with his fists.

Oh come on! Oghren was a laugh with his drunken tirades, his utter lack of social graces and anything resembling hygiene. Besides that, what made him funny was that he stuck out among his kind exactly because he acted so much as what we perceive to be the stereotypical dwarf.

Edited by Gyges

Please never give me another cut-and-paste dwarf companion who swills ale, has a beard, loves fighting, uses an axe or warhammer, hates elves, speaks in a Scottish accent and so forth. Not even if he wants to be a monk and beat people up with his fists.

Oh come on! Oghren was a laugh with his drunken tirades, his utter lack of social graces and anything resembling hygiene. Besides that, what made him funny was that he stuck out among his kind exactly because he acted so much as what we perceive to be the stereotypical dwarf.

I'm pretty sure they're talking about Khelgar Ironfist, the dwarven fighter you pick up as the first thing once you leave the starting village in Neverwinter Nights 2.

Edited by Brother Pain

No you're right in that they tried to make Neeshka funny. However, female characters are very rarely intended to provide comic relief, which is often the one thing that makes male archetype characters bearable (Korgan, Minsc and Jan, just citing BG2 examples)

I'm pretty sure they're talking about Khelgar Ironfist, the dwarven fighter you pick up as the first thing once you leave the starting village in Neverwinter Nights 2.

Actually Khelgar was awesome, and it's because it has shown that the common misconception of ale drinking brawling machine being the typical dwarf, is wrong in the D&D FR. Have you done sidequests related to him, showing the tidbits from dwarven lore and culture in FR? Did you see his evolution, where he was realizing what means to be a dwarf?

The archetype of drunk brawler dwarf is overused, but overused by players, not the story/lore writers in the D&D. I'd urge you to read some sourcebooks regarding dwarves in FR D&D. 

To be honest I do not get, where and when the concept of a dwarven drunkard came into the common view as the REAL DWARF, because it's flat out wrong - at least in D&D terms. Sure they like to drink and praise their beverages and stamina, but they have pride, dignity, honor, they are concentrated on creation and perfection, they are both loyal, and stubborn, on top of that they value their traditions and clans. There are some things that tick them off, but you get that in their racial background and history - orcs, giants, goblins, etc.

Most of the cast of Dragon age 2:

Anders: First of all, Anders in awakening - one of the coolset characters ever, what the hell have they done to him in dragon age 2? Okay, he's not got the spirit of Justice, who was awesome as well in awakening, but there were MASSIVE side effects...in the writing, they could have done it so much better, instead of making him a whiny emo prick... The real Anders died at Vigil's keep... Even if he survived.

Fenris: Well i think this was a way for EA to sell the game to Final Fantasy fans.

Isabela: Yeah... STDs - The character. Just one note over and over again.

Yeah, dragon age 2, if played using only the sarcastic/witty options and adding a classic comedy track after every couple of lines could have been a relatively enjoyable game.. assuming it's all a joke and Varric is full of crap... Which may be a possibility.

NWN 2 - I actually did not like Bishop, he was a prick, definitely not someone i'd want to watch my back, though we do need characters like this for diversity, it makes things more interesting and unpredictable.

Baldur's Gate -  Edwin, never really liked this guy, maybe because I was on Minsc's side. But on the other hand i was never interested in knowing what this guy was about, so yeah more intrigue please!

Well that's all I can think for now, I may add some more character later.