Why am I thinking about one of the dungeon levels being less graphically appealing than the rest of the levels? I'm talking about one of the levels being an illusion and the perspective becomes completely different, suddenly the world transforms to something like this:

rogue_6.gif

This is a great game by the way <3

Great game indeed. I started with Hack myself and then moved on to Nethack. No other video game has had me revisit it every other year or so for around 25 years. I still check the Dev site every so often hoping there will be a new version even though it's been almost ten years since the last one. Nethack is the shiz.

I'm thinking my next foray may be in Slash'em.

Edited by Valsuelm

Except Blizzard themselves said they took inspiration from roguelikes when they made Diablo.

Things evolve over time. Deus Ex is vastly different from Doom but they're both still shooters, and a GT-R looks nothing like a Model T but they're both still cars.

There are so many great layers of juicy nostalgia in this thread. Seeing both the screenshot and a miniature replica of the what-is-roguelike debate from the old R.G.R.D newsgroup conjures fond memories from my younger years.

Thank you (seriously).

• Like 1

Yours and Karkarov's posts are vastly different, but they're both still posts.

Kind of like saying Rogue and Diablo are vastly different, but they are both still video games.

So you're really gonna tell me that CoD or Forza have just as much in common with Rogue as Diablo does?

Kind of like saying Rogue and Diablo are vastly different, but they are both still video games.

Hormalakh kicked off this thread by proposing that the Endless Path be continued forever in a roguelike fashion. Whatever the precise definition of roguelike is, I think he got the idea across that way just fine. Take everything that you can take from rogue -- i.e., procedurally generated, random or semirandom dungeon levels going ever deeper -- and drop it into a graphical, isometric, RTwP cRPG, and you'll get something that looks a lot like Diablo.

Whether the result still counts as roguelike I'm sure we can keep on debating till the cows come home and die of old age. Frankly I don't see the point though.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com