Movies You've Seen Recently

LadyCrimson

I watched Straw Dogs last night, excellent movie 8/10.

Its about a New York screenwriter who go's with his actress wife back to her hometown in the deep South. Her southern community is home to some people who are basically "rednecks" and they are violent and dislike the success the NY couple have made of themselves. The movie is dark and very violent, but well worth watching

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Brazil. Terry Gilliam masterpiece. Obviously 11/10.

I watched Straw Dogs last night, excellent movie 8/10.

Its about a New York screenwriter who go's with his actress wife back to her hometown in the deep South. Her southern community is home to some people who are basically "rednecks" and they are violent and dislike the success the NY couple have made of themselves. The movie is dark and very violent, but well worth watching

It's "goes," not "go's." "Go's" is not even a viable word/term in English unless you are referring to someone named Go, as the apostrophe makes it a conjunction of "Go is," which is a wildly different context. You're welcome for the English lesson, free of charge. Yes I am one of THOSE PEOPLE.

I shouldn't need to address the post misspelling "girl." That sort of poster is not going to learn, I only teach those who want to be taught.

Edited by AGX-17

I only teach those who want to be taught.

Bonus points to those who can point out when to use comma before 'who' (without using google) ;)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Watched Halo 4 Forward Unto Dawn.

An interesting take, live-action of cadets and centered around Lansky (the character of turns up as an officer in Halo 4) and his trials as he tries to figure out if he's meant to be a soldier. Set at a military academy and then one of the first Covenant invasion points when know one really knew they were out there. Throw in the obligatory appearance of the Master Chief towards the latter section to help rescue the surviving cadets and allow Lansky to figure things out about what he's doing with his life.

Didn't look too bad, but I would say it really doesn't stand well on it's own. Although I did go through half of it thinking "where have I seen that girl before?" about one of the cadets, until I realised she was one of the four kids in the Narnia films. But yes, if you haven't played some of the games or somehow have a grasp on the world and characters at its basis, there just isn't enough depth to it to successfully carry it by itself.

It was good, sortof a Warhammer Empire/Starship Troopers thing going on until Master Chief showed up and you were reminded of how lame the entire cannon is.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I only teach those who want to be taught.

Bonus points to those who can point out when to use comma before 'who' (without using google) ;)

After "those" ... I'm guessing. Grammar was never my strong suit.

I watched Madagascar3, after hearing how it's the best of the series. It was cute I guess, but I'm not sure I'd agree with the best part.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

When it is used in a non restrictive relative clause. 'Paul, who is a jerk.' Restrictive relative clauses doesn't have commas.

'The red book that is on the table' can only refer to one specific book, while anyone can be a jerk. It's tangental, commentary, and the clause can have a comma.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

The Walking Dead - oooo that was a good one. So many pieces falling into place. Now I have to wait "forever" to see the conclusion of the season. :(

Also:

With the way the epsiode ended, I don't know how they're going to get out of it, but if they actually kill Daryl I am going to be SOOOO mad. I'm guessing Merle will sacrifice himself to save him somehow...I hope. hehe

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's "goes," not "go's." "Go's" is not even a viable word/term in English unless you are referring to someone named Go, as the apostrophe makes it a conjunction of "Go is," which is a wildly different context. You're welcome for the English lesson, free of charge. Yes I am one of THOSE PEOPLE.

I shouldn't need to address the post misspelling "girl." That sort of poster is not going to learn, I only teach those who want to be taught.

Hi AGX

I like you and I appreciate your input on various topics so please don't take offense at what I am about to say below.

I find people that criticize grammar and spelling on a gaming forum annoying, supercilious and there critique irrelevant. The main reasons for this are

• Are all your posts grammatically perfect every time you say something? They need to be if you are going to point out mistakes in others
  • I always ask "can I understand what someone is saying in the post". This is surly the most important point in any post. This is not an English exam and we shouldn't be judged on grammar.
  • Finally English isn't everyones first language so to be critical on someones grammar and spelling is just petulant and unhelpful to the purpose of what a forum is, that purpose being discussion.

:)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Did you add typos in that post to add insult to injury? Either way, I laughed my butt off.

Nope I used my spellcheck, so I assumed its all right :grin:

John Milton 

Hi AGX

I like you and I appreciate your input on various topics so please don't take offense at what I am about to say below.

I find people that criticize grammar and spelling on a gaming forum annoying, supercilious and there critique irrelevant. The main reasons for this are

• Are all your posts grammatically perfect every time you say something? They need to be if you are going to point out mistakes in others
  • I always ask "can I understand what someone is saying in the post". This is surly the most important point in any post. This is not an English exam and we shouldn't be judged on grammar.
  • Finally English isn't everyones first language so to be critical on someones grammar and spelling is just petulant and unhelpful to the purpose of what a forum is, that purpose being discussion.

lisaonice4_thumb.png?w=512&h=384

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

This actually is nitpicking but The Sopranos wasn't a movie either.

Currently watching seasons 1-5 of Stargate Atlantis on DVD. Every episode has a director's comentary track, I know most people never watch those but I love them so it's a huge bonus for me.

I enjoyed the StarGate movies. Ark of Truth was fun, just made me miss the show. I didn't care for Stargate Universe.

I'm watching all the Star Trek episodes and movies in order of the year the show/movie was based in. In the year 2373 almost done with Deep Space 9 (BTW Rejoined and The Drumhead where the best episodes ever).

Cowboys.com is now a gay dating site…GreenBayPackers.com is something we shall never discuss again…EVER.

Shakespeare said: Play to those who get it. Don’t dumb it down “to split the ears of the groundlings.”

Groundlings: The lowest common denominator.

Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday is still the best Doc Holliday.

Also...I have a friend who really wants to see the Red Dawn remake. Pestered me all weekend about making a time for it. I'm running out of excuses. I might have to bite the bullet and do it...BFF and all that....

Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday is still the best Doc Holliday.

Also...I have a friend who really wants to see the Red Dawn remake. Pestered me all weekend about making a time for it. I'm running out of excuses. I might have to bite the bullet and do it...BFF and all that....

After seeing Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday I wanted to see him as Raistlin… that is till I saw Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight a movie so awful that I had to go to the post office to ship it back to the company that made it with a sticky saying “try again.” That movie was worse than Highlander 2.

Cowboys.com is now a gay dating site…GreenBayPackers.com is something we shall never discuss again…EVER.

Shakespeare said: Play to those who get it. Don’t dumb it down “to split the ears of the groundlings.”

Groundlings: The lowest common denominator.

Hi AGX

I think it's important that if you want to make a good impression in the English speaking world, it's important to get grammar, syntax and punctuation correctly. If you were applying for a job with an American or English company it could make a real difference! I value your contributions to the forums so I want to help you be the best you can be at the (current) global tongue. Until Mandarin takes over. In which case I will rely on my half-chinese cousins to do all my talking for me.

Also, movies!

Rewatched The City of Lost Children. Not exactly labyrinth, but I was in love with Miette when I saw it as a child (we're the same age, the actress and I, don't get any funny ideas.) Still a great movie.

Edited by AGX-17

Hi AGX

I think it's important that if you want to make a good impression in the English speaking world, it's important to get grammar, syntax and punctuation correctly. If you were applying for a job with an American or English company it could make a real difference! I value your contributions to the forums so I want to help you be the best you can be at the (current) global tongue. Until Mandarin takes over. In which case I will rely on my half-chinese cousins to do all my talking for me.

Also, movies!

Rewatched The City of Lost Children. Not exactly labyrinth, but I was in love with Miette when I saw it as a child (we're the same age, the actress and I, don't get any funny ideas.) Still a great movie.

Thanks AGX, I didn't realize you cared about my career. It would be great to work for an American company. But what would I do about my current job as I work for a global American company? :)

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Hey, at least my English is inpeckable.

:biggrin: Funny

John Milton 

Finally saw that latest Batman movie. It was long.

Overall I enjoyed it ... had some interesting moments. There were two things that served to roll my eyes however.

1 -- Bane's voice (much discussed before I'm sure). I liked the character. I don't mind the mask. But that voice. So over the top, did he have a reverb and megaphone in the mouthpiece? It was really distracting. But he had my favorite (humor) line in the whole film, at the end. :)

2 -- Bruce Wayne's endless, endless selfish angst. People like to make fun of teenage vampire movie angst, but sheesh, this modern Batman is more angsty then even that. :p

Anyway, those things weren't big deal breakers so I had some fun. Especially with all the "recognize the actors in small roles/cameos" game. Sgt. Wu from Grimm, Tealc from Stargate, many others. This film's CatWoman was finally one I rather liked, and I love Joseph Gordon-Levitt more with every film I see him in.

No seriously, where is the real Khan?

Trailer needed more horns.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

No seriously, where is the real Khan?
It might be Gary Mitchell, not Khan.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."