How much gore?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. How much gore would you like to see in PE?

• No gore/12+/My daughter wants to play it
    • Blood
    • Blood + decals (blood stains on the ground)
    • Blood + super decals (blood stains on ground and models)
    • ^ + Minor dismemberment (Head)
    • ^ + Dismemberment (heads, arms, legs)
    • ^ + Major gore (Exploding humans ala District 9 and lulBG)

I don't suppose it really matters to me, and, really, as long as there's a setting that let's you turn it up/down/on/off I don't see the harm in there being heavier violence settings. All in all, though, it just doesn't matter to me one way or the other, I've played games that were enjoyable at opposite extreme ends of the spectrum, as well as the in between.

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

Slider toggle in the options.

Maximum gore.

But only splatter when appropriate. Nobody should explode when hit with a dagger. I'd say no arms or heads cut off with an arrow, only it was such a neat scene in Princess Mononoke I'm kind of pro arrow-decapitations, if it's a real wicked bow and bowman combo.

Mostly when it's human strength fighters beating each others, there should be only blood.

Fallout 3 eg. was real stupid about this. If I hit someone between the eyes with a small calibre sniper rifle,

I want to see a nice little hole (with maybe a bigger splash on the other side) not a bloody decapitation!

Edited by Jarmo

To be honest, gore is something I only notice if it falls around the extreme ends of the spectrum: missing completely, or stupidly excessive. If it should be there - it should be there, period. But don't put gore just to put more gore, please. When it's very overdone it triggers in my brain as 'revolting stupidity' to which I respond with 'ok, bored now'.

I feel the same way. It would be odd for a modern game if combat was a sterile affair in which people slapped each other with what must be foam weapons until one side falls on the floor, but I get nothing out of seeing geysers of blood and chunks of flesh bouncing around with every hit - if used anything more than sparingly, such things would look absurd and distracting.

And as for the Dragon Age blood-splattered cut scenes - I'd like my party to at least carry around some towels, please, and to use them before talking to people.

You remember how many people made fun of Dragon Age for having characters constantly drenched in blood, right? Generally speaking, it wasn't smart to just stay covered in an enemy's blood until it rotted on your skin and crusted up your armor in reality, so I don't see how it would make sense to have that sort of constant bloodsoaking and no bathing thing they did in DA.

Gore that makes sense should be all that's necessary. If some guy with an exposed neck has it sliced off by a sturdy, sharp blade wielded by a strong warrior, who's to argue it shouldn't come off?

You could always ask your trusted mabari to lick you clean.

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

Noone should explode in a cloud of guts blood and brains because they were hit with an arrow.

What about a fist? :biggrin:

By fist I think you meant "Poking people with your finger."

That said I voted minor dismemberment simply because we don't know enough about the detail or size of character models to really know if the full on regular dismemberment will even be visually worthwhile. If it is and they go with that cool beans, works for me. But the full on exploding bodies thing I will pass on, it was so crazy and over the top in BG I didn't find it to be "gore" I found it to be ridiculously hilarious. I felt like I was watching "Night of the Lepus" or "Killer Clowns from Outer Space" again.

You remember how many people made fun of Dragon Age for having characters constantly drenched in blood, right? Generally speaking, it wasn't smart to just stay covered in an enemy's blood until it rotted on your skin and crusted up your armor in reality, so I don't see how it would make sense to have that sort of constant bloodsoaking and no bathing thing they did in DA.

Especially as Dragon Age lore said darkspawn blood is poisonous and horribly kills every non warden it touches.

And then it's all forgotten 5 minutes later and every non warden in the party doesn't even. Even!

Noone should explode in a cloud of guts blood and brains because they were hit with an arrow.

What about a fist? :biggrin:

Five point palm exploding heart technique?

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.