If Project Eternity was turn-based...?

Real time vs Turn based.  

329 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support and look forward to PE if it was Turn Based?

• Yay! :)
    • Nay! :(
    • Don't care if Turn Based or Real Time :|

As with all systems, both can be done good or bad. But my general preference is definitely for turn-based overall. I believe you can create very tactical situations with realtime w pause but there is something about that system (well, for all the games I've played that uses it) that fails to switch on the "tactical thinking button" in my brain. In turnbased systems, I will think things through, advance slowly, set people up carefully, make use of all my abilities. Whereas in realtime w pause it's like... I'm just unable to function that way for some reason. I often just find it frustrating and chaotic to control. It's like there's something about it that just makes me want to get through it as quickly as possible, it doesn't hit that "oh yeah, THIS is gonna be a great challenge" feeling for me, even though the fights may indeed be challenging.

That said, obviously not a dealbreaker for me at all as I pledged a large sum of money (for me). Since the devs obviously want to go for realtime w pause, then that's what they should go for. And I think the fact that they can design a system from the ground up will make a big difference. I always found it immensely frustrating to have the turns yet in a realtime environment like the D&D games tended to have. Dragon Age was far from a perfect system but I really enjoyed that a lot more in that well... I just thought it flowed better, controlled better. With some tweaks here and there (some fairly large admittedly) and better encounters, I could've really grown to like it a lot. I'm hoping PE will do just that.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Suspect I would have pledged the same either way. Generally speaking though, I prefer turn-based for a solo character game, but RTwP for a large party-based game (which this will mostly be), so I lean towards this preference in this context.

It's not that I mind turn based combat with a large number of actors, but it's more in the realm of a tactical combat game than an RPG, where combat is one of the things I care least about.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Hmm, is a hard poll to answer as it needs another option to cover my opinion.

I would not want it strictly turned based, but neither would I shun the project if it was. Unfortunately I can not pick the third option because I do care as I like real time tactics. Turn based is good, but as an additional option not replacing real time tactics.

Weird, for some reason I assumed it was going to be turn-based.

Love turn-based, so glad the new Firaxis XCOM kept it turn-based, and I hope it makes somewhat of a resurgence in game design. Many of my favourite games had turn-based combat: HoMM games, Alpha Centauri, the (classic) Final Fantasies,etc. Black Isle's D&D-based library was, well, sort-of turn-based. *Timer-based I guess might be a more accurate description for them?

Edited by Joukehainen
  • Like 1

The real time with pause is great - in combat, I practically play it turn based, but I can still enjoy the NPCs and environment in real time.

A great many TB games only use turns when the player is engaged in combat and are in real-time when not, it's not something exclusive to RTwP.

Personally I would prefer a phase based combat system as I find it the most interesting kind, but since it is Obsidian that are developing this and their strong suite has never been combat I'd be happy with RTwP since the battles are over relatively quickly with it.

I've liked some games with them both, although I prefer real-time. So, I would certainly still support and look forward to it if it was turn-based, but perhaps slightly less -- most turn-based systems in computer RPGs I've found to be a bit aggravating to me.

knightofchaoss.jpg

The real time with pause is great - in combat, I practically play it turn based, but I can still enjoy the NPCs and environment in real time.

A great many TB games only use turns when the player is engaged in combat and are in real-time when not, it's not something exclusive to RTwP.

Personally I would prefer a phase based combat system as I find it the most interesting kind, but since it is Obsidian that are developing this and their strong suite has never been combat I'd be happy with RTwP since the battles are over relatively quickly with it.

The problem with TB games and exploring is you walk by an enemy and bam you're suddenly locked into combat. Even enemies that you'd normally one shot take forever to dispatch since you have to go through all the TB crap. This is made even worse with a phase based combat system like final fantasy (which is what I'm guessing you're referring to, if not then my bad).

The problem with TB games and exploring is you walk by an enemy and bam you're suddenly locked into combat. Even enemies that you'd normally one shot take forever to dispatch since you have to go through all the TB crap. This is made even worse with a phase based combat system like final fantasy (which is what I'm guessing you're referring to, if not then my bad).

I think there 2 types of phase turn-based combat. First is JRPG style line vs line. Second is D&D style 2 phase combat (movement-attack/spell/action). I guess he was referring to D&D style.

• Like 1

Only boring people get bored

You'll have to enlighten me - what is turn based exactly? Is Neverwinter nights turn-based? Are the Kotors turn based? If it's like JRPGs where the characters stand around doing nothing while you choose spells or abilities in a very bloated and badly designed interface then I'm all for real time.

You'll have to enlighten me - what is turn based exactly? Is Neverwinter nights turn-based? Are the Kotors turn based? If it's like JRPGs where the characters stand around doing nothing while you choose spells or abilities in a very bloated and badly designed interface then I'm all for real time.

Temple of Elemental Evil, X-Com old and new, fallout.

• Like 1

Only boring people get bored

Temple of Elemental Evil, X-Com old and new, fallout.

Yeah, I got the gist of it in the thread, but I haven't played these. Soooo the kotors and nwns aren't turn based?

Basically when you encounter an enemy you take turns doing actions. Some systems have it so you can only perform X amount of actions per turn (move once and shoot, move twice, shoot twice, etc.) while others have it so you have Y amount of action points and each action takes a certain amount (10 AP's and moving is 1 AP per foot while shooting is 4 AP and melee attacks are 3 AP). Who goes first is usually either determined by a speed stat or chosen at random.

Rtwp or nothing. It is the best way to control the field tactically. Otherwise it is a card game or Doom. DA, IWD and the BGs did it best. Various types of character acting in concert against various types of enemy. the pause makes up for the inability to shout instuctions quickly and adjust tactics instantly. Otherwise it becomes diablo which was crap.

If PE went RT without pause or went turn based I'd walk away. Sounds harsh but they want to resurect the soul of IE hen they need the pause button. Period.

• Like 2

Rtwp or nothing. It is the best way to control the field tactically.

This is wrong. Period. By having the real time element you are, by definition, incorporating an element of "twitch" gameplay. You can call that tactical if you want to, thinking on your feet etc, but it is far different from having the absolute tactical field control which is only possible in pure turn based. I'm fine with PE having RTWP, but don't try to say it's somehow more tactical than turn based...

Edited by AgentOrange

Battles in turn-based games take forever. While it can be fun sometimes (as in Fallout Tactics, Odium, Xcom Enemy Unknown), in DnD-style games it feels like a terrible waste of time. I still recall Temple of Elemental Evil and Pool of Radiance with palpable dread. It's like playing table-tops without the added value of socializing with living people. In my books it's just a hideously boring experience.

• Like 1

I prefer real-time but a pause function with diverse settings for auto-pausing is a must have! The IE games are only superficially in real time, the game mechanics still work with turns and you can actually make them stop after each one. Since PE is a homage to these games from the beginning, I presume a similar system will be put to work.

• Like 1

nec temere, nec timide

I've a huge love of X-Com, FFT, Fire Emblem, 4x games, and the like, but I recognize that turn based combat can really ****in' drag on, and it doesn't necessarily fit what Obsidian is going for.

Either one works if you build the game with the strengths and weakness of the system in mind.

jcod0.png