Which iPad type gadget for elderly father?

WDeranged

My dad has been pestering me for weeks to figure out what kind of tablet device would suit him, I'm clueless about the options but my instincts tell me suck satan's shlong and go with Apple. My main problem is the ring fenced way Apple works, I'm guessing he can't just drag and drop his files to it and the lack of Flash will definitely give me headaches when he asks why half his web sites don't work properly :blink:

I've seen a few of the alternatives and most don't seem as refined as the iPad when it comes to ease of use, my dad is over 70 and I need a tablet that won't cause us both headaches or make him regret buying it.

I also dread seeing my dad waste money on apps so I'd definitely prefer a platform with less emphasis on parting fools with their gold, can anyone give me some suggestions?

Flash is no longer supported on android either. I think it still kinda works, but it's not being updated or maintained (and brings a lot of problems with it anyway).

As for dragging and dropping files, it depends on what files. You can use itunes and drag and drop pdf files into the bookshelf app for instance, or movies to a movie app etc etc. But you will have to use itunes (although to be fair, using itunes to sync stuff like music is fairly simple as long as you can fit all your music on the pad).

While I have no problems recommending android on phones to anyone, I'd be hesitant with android for tabs. I personally find it a bit lacking still (although my experiences with it are kinda limited).

I have heard very good things about Microsoft's Surface though, although have no personal experience with it at all. My brother loves it, but then again he works at MS, so he's a bit biased.

Lenovo X230t - convertible tablet variant of the best notebook in the world. Of course that's a fully fledged PC running Windows with all the pros and cons that entails, and a price tag to match.

Don't know much about Android tablets. Asus Transformer Prime I guess would come into consideration on the strength of its keyboard option - good to have when looking for someone who's not quite sure what they want.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I love my iPad 2. Like metioned above, easy to drag and drop from iTunes but you cant grab files on your PC and drag them to the iPad afaik. Its been 100% reliable for me and the App store is easy to use and well organized, with all apps being vetted by Apple. A must have accessory is a hard cover, which also puts the iPad to sleep when you close it. Has a really cool magnetic hinge too.

but you cant grab files on your PC and drag them to the iPad afaik.

Depends on what you're dragging. For instance, I have a movie player (AV Player or something like that) that can play movies without them having to be in whatever format apple has decreed )mp4 or mov I think). There I can drag and drop movies from windows to the app in itunes, so they don't need to be in the itunes library at all.

The kindle app works the same way, but when it comes to the integrated apps (like music) I think it needs to be in the itunes library, but you can drag and drop from there if you don't want to have the autosync turned on.

Agree on the cover, it's basically mandatory.

Thanks for the replies, it does seem like Apple will be the way I go, the whole ring fenced kiddy's playpen thing seems perfect for older people and I'm relieved that there are 3rd party video players available, re-encoding all my dad's stuff would have sucked.

I do own a 3rd gen Ipad and my bf owns his Aesus tablet and we're both happy with our respective purchases.

I love how streamlined, easy to use and polyvalent my Ipad is while he is happy with the free app program so he can creates his own applications for his intership projects.

My Obsidian Order title really belongs to my cat who is cute since day one and she built her attitude around it.

My 74 yo dad has an ipad. Since he also has a mac, icloud takes care of all "file transfers" he has need for. Which is more than I do, if you want to move files to a tablet, you're better off buying something else, anyway.

I rarely notice the lack of flash, if ever.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

My dad has ended up with a Nexus 7, I'd have preferred that he wait for the Nexus 10 but he's very much like me when he wants a new toy, anyway the Nexus 7 is a really impressive little tablet for the money, it's far more open and refined than the Kindle Fire HD, my only nitpick would be the lower quality speakers.

• Like 2

Every website I go to no longer uses flash! Android dropped flash support as well

I'm not complaining. The only flash site I visit voluntarily these days is youtube... *pats his trusty ancient nokia dumb-phone*

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein