What you did today

Gorth

Long day of paperwork, research, filing, more paperwork. I hate paperwork and avoid it as much as possible but sometimes, y'gotta do it. My brain hurts.

I wonder if I'm missing on something as a non-drinker and someone that's never been drunk :p

I'm essentially a non-fan of drinking who only drinks very occasionally, so I can relate, heh. But when I was younger and, y'know, parties - I've done my small share. But even with more casual/light drinking, I'd say .... no, you're not missing anything. Unless you actually like the taste of alcohol. Some people do...I don't. I prefer chocolate as a vice. :biggrin:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've been going over my old classical Greek textbooks again lately. I'm starting off easy, so it's been lot of the stuff from years ago. You know, like "Dikaiopolis is a farmer. He is big and strong." This time, however, I'm focusing on translating into Greek. I can read the passages of this 'see spot run' stuff without any challenge, but I don't think modern Classical Studies really grounds students well enough in translating into the classical languages. ...And, let's face it, it's much better to learn how to translate into a language in order really to learn it. What I want to do is take a couple of years getting up to snuff and then translate something into it. I was thinking maybe Starship Troopers or some other work that is a classic in its own genre. I don't know. I've forgotten a bit of the language through lack of use, but I'm enjoying the hell out of the experience anyway.

...And I only wish I were addicted to chocolate. I love the taste of a lot of alcoholic drinks. I appreciate the feeling I get from drinking. I like the comraderie associated with slugging back a few. ...But at it's heart, anything to excess is unhealthy. Still, I just tell myself it's gotta beat heroin or crack cocaine. lol

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hubby loves his beer, so I do know where some of you are coming from, just not via my own personal preferences. But I will say that Kahlua in hot chocolate milk can be quite good. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Do you have seasonal allergies?

Yeah, but this is Finland we're talking about here, nothing like that this time of year.

More like a side effect of my i tensely stressful year and poor fitness. And everybody's been sick at the office over the past month...

Nep I can guarantee you that once your new diet starts working and your fitness levels improve your fatigue will decrease. You will be amazed how much a bad diet can lead to both a mental and physical malaise

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Do you have seasonal allergies?

Yeah, but this is Finland we're talking about here, nothing like that this time of year.

More like a side effect of my i tensely stressful year and poor fitness. And everybody's been sick at the office over the past month...

Nep I can guarantee you that once your new diet starts working and your fitness levels improve your fatigue will decrease. You will be amazed how much a bad diet can lead to both a mental and physical malaise

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

As my profile says (somewhere), I'm a Cognac fan. It's not the kind of stuff you get drunk in (normally), it's just tasty and I enjoy it every now and then. Especially if I feel like rewarding myself... or consolation... or encouragement... or to celebrate.... or... you get the point. Being somewhat resistant to the intoxicating effects of alcohol, I resort to the strong stuff when needing to get drunk for the sake of getting drunk. That only happens once, maybe twice a year though :sorcerer:

The worst "excess" is the beer or two we get at work at the end of the week.

I love chocolate, but I rarely buy it. Mostly because I just can't keep my hands off it. I swear I hear it calling my name constantly and something to the effect of "Eat me!".

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

re: drinking and chocolate: i have never drunk alcohol, and if i have things my way i never plan to, but i am addicted to chocolate milk. @ladycrimson: something you might want to try: invert the ratio of milk to powdered chocolate. the resulting chocolate "pudding", to be either eaten with a spoon or poured into/on top of appropriate stuff, is what the gods eat when they're being naughty.

re: what i did today: woke up, found out i done goofed on my latest exam for the uni entry course, decided to make up for it by absolutely massacring my current subject (philosophy), then i watched some videos, worked out a bit, argued on the internet and started devising a damage system from scratch out of sheer boredom. might be worth actually trying to do something with it once i get it finished.

WWTNOD?

I'm not a big drinker but I do love me some bourbon and I usually go for Knob Creek or Maker's Mark either straight or on the rocks but I also enjoy Jim Beam in mixes. A favorite mix of mine is Black Cherry Red Stag and Dr Pepper, so good.

Nothing exciting going on today but the Cirque du Soleil show that I went to on Sunday was probably my least favorite of the three or so shows that I've seen. It wasn't bad but it wasn't that great either in comparison.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I've been feeling like I'm coming down with something for most of the past three months. It's exceptionally bad today, energy levels bottoming. Should do some stuff on a job application, but am instead reading Esquire and White Dwarf on the ipad (and I seriously suspect I'm the only person in the world who reads both of those two).

On the ipad, yes. Being a radical fundamentalist, I prefer the paper version of White Dwarf. Just imaging the Book of Grudges on Kindle???

Actually, the ipad WD is one of the best publications on the platform, has a lot of enhancements over the paper version (After-action videos, 360 shots of models, zoomable pics). Also, it means I don't have to go to any of the nerd stores (and those are nerd, not geek, stores) and I can't subscribe to any paper mags since my mailman is a vandal. I've actually grown to quite like it, I have 3-4 mags I buy when I feel like it, don't subscribe, and get them in a minute or so - most mags allow you to start reading while they are still downloading.

I've been going over my old classical Greek textbooks again lately. I'm starting off easy, so it's been lot of the stuff from years ago. You know, like "Dikaiopolis is a farmer. He is big and strong." This time, however, I'm focusing on translating into Greek. I can read the passages of this 'see spot run' stuff without any challenge, but I don't think modern Classical Studies really grounds students well enough in translating into the classical languages. ...And, let's face it, it's much better to learn how to translate into a language in order really to learn it. What I want to do is take a couple of years getting up to snuff and then translate something into it. I was thinking maybe Starship Troopers or some other work that is a classic in its own genre. I don't know. I've forgotten a bit of the language through lack of use, but I'm enjoying the hell out of the experience anyway.

Heh, both my parents are classicists. They had a fairly defined target of firing me towards a "real career". Still, a very intellectually stimulating home to grow up in, I definitely wouldn't have become an LL.D. without their support or the "lower mental barrier" of becoming a doctor when both your parents are phds.

Guess I could be counting my checks before they are cashed, as I haven't received my grade yet, but... :p

Oh, definitely. I'm actually feeling a lot better now already (and last nights stuffiness passed without much ill effects, too). My metabolism is in absolute overdrive now, though. My face is starting to look like a teenagers and... well, let's skip the other stuff. At least I hope I'll be smart enough to not go back to academia. :D

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Keep up your spirits, Nep, and if you ever make it to sunny SoCal, I'll buy you a beer or two to celebrate... or a soda-water if you no longer drink by then. :Cant's wry grin icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Keep up your spirits, Nep, and if you ever make it to sunny SoCal, I'll buy you a beer or two to celebrate... or a soda-water if you no longer drink by then. :Cant's wry grin icon:

I'm a miserable finn, I don't drink beer... or vodka, either. Big fan of champagne, ****tails and single malts, I'm sure we'll be able to find a common interest somewhere in between. :D

Actually, the ipad WD is one of the best publications on the platform, has a lot of enhancements over the paper version (After-action videos, 360 shots of models, zoomable pics). Also, it means I don't have to go to any of the nerd stores (and those are nerd, not geek, stores) and I can't subscribe to any paper mags since my mailman is a vandal.

It does sort of require you to get an ipad (or some other portable entertainment system) though :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Actually, the ipad WD is one of the best publications on the platform, has a lot of enhancements over the paper version (After-action videos, 360 shots of models, zoomable pics). Also, it means I don't have to go to any of the nerd stores (and those are nerd, not geek, stores) and I can't subscribe to any paper mags since my mailman is a vandal.

It does sort of require you to get an ipad (or some other portable entertainment system) though :)

Yeah, unfortunately so does the life of a Brussels-shuttling hotshot lobbyist. Or wannabe one. :D

• Like 1

Noticed my furnace was cycling on and off more than usual so I inspected it. I saw a red flashing light (which informs you what the probem is by flashing in certain patterns), looked it up online and fixed the problem myself! \o/

I enjoy drinking but I dont drink anywhere near as much as I used to. From around 18-35 years old I drank like it was my superpower but now Im older and if I sit around drinking by myself at home I just get tired after a few drinks.

Yeah, I'm always tinkering with things around my house too, Gftd. Nice job on the furnace. It's probably getting a bit chilly out where you live.

Obsidian Plays

Seems someone is trying to phish us using our mortgage company's name. Urgent phone calls then an email to hubby's cell. Refinance to 3%, call this number, give us your SS#. Hahah....like I'm going to fall for that. :getlost:

Still drowning in paperwork, but found a couple hours to check out the "HD" version of the old Stronghold games from GoG. Higher res. support for those games ... very nice.

Recuperating. Had a horrible fever yesterday, didn't know where I was or what I was doing at some point.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Had a cool out of body experience in the morning, assume due to my diet. Evening, had one of the top 2 worst dates of all my time. Waste of a good friday.

I only had the fever but when it reached 38.8c/101.8f I felt like passing out.

All gone now thankfully

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

discovered that an overwhelming majority of the entry course students at my uni got extremely low grades in the latest test, not just me, to the point where several people, a teacher included, actually suspected there might be foul play involved. this is getting interesting.

WWTNOD?

I'm going to make a homemade pizza tomorrow. I'm thinking of a Mexican pizza with home made refried beans, ground beef, Jack, Cheddar, and Asiago cheese, Jalepenos, and, after it's cooled, topped by sour cream and black olives all on an unbleached flour crust. I'll also make a more or less standard pizza with black olives, banana peppers, mushrooms, and maybe *maybe* some turkey pepperoni. Meanwhile, tonight we had fast food because I didn't have time to get anything ready to cook when I got home.

Other pizzas I like to make: BBQ chicken or beef, bulgogi, and my famous lasagnizza (which is a single layer lasagna with pepperoni).

Anyhow, I'm just checking out the boards tonight is all. Friday night, but too tired to go do anything, I think.

Obsidian Plays