Oversexualization of females in video games

I got an idea!

Make every character in PE a man! With beards. Awesome beards. Like the ZZ Top.

See? Problem solved, let's go home guys.

Now all I can think of is Monty Python's 'Life of Brian'. The scene where all the women are pretending to be men so they can attend the stoning.

fwul38.jpg

"There's a bodybag out there with that scudball's name on it, and I'm doing up the zip. Anyone who gets in my way gets a napalm enema. "

- Lister

I get it, don't add anything onto the armor. Armor is armor for the sake of being armor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jsp1Nh0Cc8

Now all I can think of is Monty Python's 'Life of Brian'. The scene where all the women are pretending to be men so they can attend the stoning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIaORknS1Dk

• Like 2

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

I was trying not to procrastinate writing my essay, though I guess posting here counts as procrastinating. Now I'm going to have to go and watch this again.

Edited by Amyrantha

fwul38.jpg

"There's a bodybag out there with that scudball's name on it, and I'm doing up the zip. Anyone who gets in my way gets a napalm enema. "

- Lister

If a whore is dressed in revealing drags is fine to me.

So what are you trying to say, that only "whores" wear revealing clothes, or that everyone wearing revealing clothes is a whore?

Ah, thank you so much for decontextualizing my words.

Next time quote the whole post. Or even better, play Witcher 2 (the game I was referring to) and see which other women wear revealing clothes (and notice the difference between the styles of the clothing).

And remember, decontextualize other people words just to make them look bad, is childish.

Edited by DocDoomII
  • Like 1

If a whore is dressed in revealing drags is fine to me.

So what are you trying to say, that only "whores" wear revealing clothes, or that everyone wearing revealing clothes is a whore?

Ah, thank you so much for decontextualizing my words.

Next time quote the whole post. Or even better, play Witcher 2 (the game I was referring to) and see which other women wear revealing clothes (and notice the difference between the styles of the clothing).

And remember, decontextualize other people words just to make them look bad, is childish.

I'm downloading Witcher 1, since I hear good things about it. I want to see how this game handles this topic

Edited by NKKKK

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

There is a huge amount of hypocrisy to human beings. Everyone enjoys looking at the opposite sex but then when others get to look at them they start screaming bloody murder. All these popular things in the game industry like boob plate and steel panties are popular and have been popular for quite a long time among both genders and both genders contributed to that popularity. The reason male characters are more dressed is simply because women were responding better to other things than a lot of skin showing.....that's it. So yes, things are perfectly fair as they are.....both sides are being shown what they respond to best. It's not universal, impossible to please everyone regardless but this pleases most. The politics nonsense has no place here. In a world of magic with wizards and ciphers a pair of magically enchanted cloth panties can be a lot more powerful and protective than a full suit of plate mail. If there was no magic in the world then yeah, ok it would not make sense but as things are it makes perfect sense.

Edited by Darth Trethon

1zq6793.jpg

There is a huge amount of hypocrisy to human beings. Everyone enjoys looking at the opposite sex but then when others get to look at them they start screaming bloody murder.

There's a difference, though, between enjoying looking at the opposite sex (or even enjoying being looked at by the opposite sex) and being required to dress a character in a game in skimpy clothes because that's the only option you've been given.

Note I'd say the same about ridiculously spiky armor that would have you spiking yourself in the head if you tried to raise your arm slightly; given that there is a limit to how much they can design I'd rather them look at the stuff that's the most utilitarian, which would be reasonable looking clothes and armor.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

There is a huge amount of hypocrisy to human beings. Everyone enjoys looking at the opposite sex but then when others get to look at them they start screaming bloody murder.

There's a difference, though, between enjoying looking at the opposite sex (or even enjoying being looked at by the opposite sex) and being required to dress a character in a game in skimpy clothes because that's the only option you've been given.

Note I'd say the same about ridiculously spiky armor that would have you spiking yourself in the head if you tried to raise your arm slightly; given that there is a limit to how much they can design I'd rather them look at the stuff that's the most utilitarian, which would be reasonable looking clothes and armor.

For the PC yeah...have options(including bulky and skimpy and in-between), but for NPCs there should be a mixture of styles from across all levels. I am really not into the whole "ban skimpy battle dresses from the game".

• Like 1

1zq6793.jpg

Threads like these oozes sexual energy. They are one step away from becoming a complete orgy with all inclusive sleeziness.

All in the name of respecting the female body of course.

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

For the PC yeah...have options(including bulky and skimpy and in-between), but for NPCs there should be a mixture of styles from across all levels. I am really not into the whole "ban skimpy battle dresses from the game".

I'd agree; that's where Obsidian's world building takes over and they decide what the societal norms are and so on.

The best of both worlds would be to design all sorts of armor for all sorts of taste and clothing as well. But limitations being what they are, I'd start with the relatively neutral and work out from there than start at either extreme and work towards the middle.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'd rather a white knight than a mysogynerd ****tard any day of the week.

But then I'm only a woman who has donated to this kickstarter I mean what does my opinion matter right? If the majority of the demographic is white that means racism is allowed since sexism is okay when the majority are men. /sarcasm

I don't want my female playable characters to look like strippers just as I'm sure you don't want your male playable characters to look like Edward from Twilight. I don't see why it's such an imposition. I mean you aren't going to die if a woman doesn't flash some boob at you every five minutes.

Edited by Moonlight Butterfly
  • Like 11

I'd rather a white knight than a mysogynerd ****tard any day of the week.

But then I'm only a woman who has donated to this kickstarter I mean what does my opinion matter right? If the majority of the demographic is white that means racism is allowed since sexism is okay when the majority are men. /sarcasm

I don't want my female playable characters to look like strippers just as I'm sure you don't want your male playable characters to look like Edward from Twilight. I don't see why it's such an imposition. I mean you aren't going to die if a woman doesn't flash some boob at you every five minutes.

^ Dat woman ^

:thumbsup:

Edited by kabaliero

I think it should be based on common sense (as I've stated before). That way there will be both revealing and modest outfits in the game depending on what character. Like a warrior that focuses on agility and offense could have less clothing on for example. Or prostitutes, succubi etc.

Maybe revealing outfits could give bonuses to persuasion? Seducing?

Normal npcs should be dressed.....well normal in my opinion.

Edit: Maybe climate could be a factor too.

Edited by Agremont

This thread is certainly delivering laughs, even if it has derailed the issue. For me, I pretty much gratuitous boobage in isometric games. I'd rather the costumes make anatomical sense and the range of bodies portrayed be normal, but I don't think it's a deal breaker.

fwul38.jpg

- Lister

I think it should be based on common sense (as I've stated before). That way there will be both revealing and modest outfits in the game depending on what character. Like a warrior that focuses on agility and offense could have less clothing on for example. Or prostitutes, succubi etc.

Maybe revealing outfits could give bonuses to persuasion? Seducing?

Normal npcs should be dressed.....well normal in my opinion.

Edit: Maybe climate could be a factor too.

It'd take time to implement properly, but if they did revealing outfits the player should get bonuses and negatives from it, based on how society feels about the clothes. Perhaps its easier to get information in a bar where people are horny and drunk (but you might just get propositioned as well) but you might not be taken seriously when talking to the captain of the guards who you find yourself completely unable to pursuade.

The problem with this route is that then everyone is carrying around a dozen armors / clothes articles and changing everytime they want a bonus.

So now back to "neutral is better"...

• Like 2