Anti-Dragon Age 2?

Cultist

Wait a sec... you hate DA2 as evidenced by syaing it 'should' have sold hardly anything.. yet you would have rushed out and bought the expansion? Oh, I get it... Youa re one of 'those' people. *puke*

I would have waited for a price reduction and then bought it, just to see how it ends personally.

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Why was the expansion canned? I thought DA2 sold enough?

DA2 sold so poorly EA got a lot of nasty complaints from businesses like Walmart who had to dump dozens of copies per store into the bargain bin. It sold a lot in the first week then almost nothing after that, when people found out more about the game.

They had a LOT of dlc planned, you can google some of the press they had around DA2's launch. They said they had a huge DLC campaign lined up. Pretty big blunder.

And really, it's wise. They saved some time for working on the third game, than trying to rush it out like they did DA2.

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

Get a better, more trustworthy source.

Go back to playing DA2. We know you are just trolling with your supposed hatred since you likely played the game more than I have. L0LZ Enjoying your 10th play through?

R00fles!

I'll just count my money whikle laughing when you make silly comments like you just did.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Volourn, it did not. Here, let me get my fancy chart.

DA2DAO-2.jpg

10 weeks > 1 month

please don't lie volourn

I don't know but this graph seems accurate to me?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't know but this graph seems accurate to me?

As mentioned above, it's from a notoriously untrustworthy source.

That said, I think it's been established that DA2 sales dropped fairly fast. Whether it was due to any actual problem with the game or just Internet groupthink is open to debate. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Get a better, more trustworthy source.

Go back to playing DA2. We know you are just trolling with your supposed hatred since you likely played the game more than I have. L0LZ Enjoying your 10th play through?

R00fles!

I'll just count my money whikle laughing when you make silly comments like you just did.

^

HAHA! Ah, the internet =P

EA acknowledged DA2 was a failure - low dlc, no expansion. Remember?

If it shipped only 2 million units, then it probably only sold close to half of them. This would be consistent with EA agreeing that DA2 did not do well.

Thus, my above chart should be reasonably accurate.

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

If it shipped only 2 million units, then it probably only sold close to half of them. This would be consistent with EA agreeing that DA2 did not do well.

What you say there, it comes dangerously close to a logical argument. I am not certain that is permitted by the usual gaming forum terms of service. Add to that the fact that your post is devoid of net-slang such as "lol". You may want to look into your posting habits before you are branded a pariah.

• Like 6

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Apart from completly leaving out PC sales both retail and download and being made by a company who is well known for having numbers that are barely more accurate then reading tealeaves. Sure.

Low DLC ? DA2 has the same amount of story DLC as ME3 will recieve and only one less then ME2 had.

If anything EA acknowledged that the production time for DA2 was far too short and that Bioware better should put the resources in the preproduction of DA3.

As far as sales go more accurate numbers come from here:http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/04/05/dragon-age-ii-sales-top-1-million

And here: http://investors.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=574530

Edited by Andwit25
  • Like 1

"Crysis® 2, Dragon Age™ 2, and Dead Space™ 2 each sold in more than two million units."

I suppose I can't argue with that*, but my chart above is not necessarily invalidated, it only shows 10 weeks and as you say, cannot take digital sales into account. The report talks about total sales, not sales during the first 10 weeks.

*EA has lied in the past, or used tricky logic to falsify their numbers. Case in point: SWTOR's "active" accounts were claimed to be as high as 1.1 to 1.4 to 1.7 million - this was completely ridiculous considering they gave everyone a free month out of the blue, before their fiscal conference, making some deactivated accounts active. And without more strict raw data to look at, they might be able to wiggle out of the distinction between sold and shipped. Who's to say John Ravioli just didn't buy 100k copies of DA2 at their wholesale value just to make the numbers look good for the investors? My trust in EA is low and I'd wish there were a third party who could verify their claims, as it seems inconsistent with their behavior regarding BioWare.

Edited by anubite

"Crysis® 2, Dragon Age™ 2, and Dead Space™ 2 each sold in more than two million units."

I suppose I can't argue with that*, but my chart above is not necessarily invalidated, it only shows 10 weeks and as you say, cannot take digital sales into account. The report talks about total sales, not sales during the first 10 weeks.

*EA has lied in the past, or used tricky logic to falsify their numbers. Case in point: SWTOR's "active" accounts were claimed to be as high as 1.1 to 1.4 to 1.7 million - this was completely ridiculous considering they gave everyone a free month out of the blue, before their fiscal conference, making some deactivated accounts active. And without more strict raw data to look at, they might be able to wiggle out of the distinction between sold and shipped. Who's to say John Ravioli just didn't buy 100k copies of DA2 at their wholesale value just to make the numbers look good for the investors? My trust in EA is low and I'd wish there were a third party who could verify their claims, as it seems inconsistent with their behavior regarding BioWare.

I also think the more important point you are making is that it didn't sell that well, and definitely not as well as DA1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Lying in the financial reports (which are also audited by people outside the company) would not be the best idea in the entire world. You can argue tricky logic regarding subscribers, but in terms of the sales for DA2, lying about that would cost money in the way of fines and whatnot.

Sold in is shipped (as opposed to sold through). Although I'm not sure why there would be Walmarts raging about buying tons of stock and not being able to sell it, since it's not like our sell in was insanely high, plus the pricing model set up with retails does take into account anticipated price drops that haven't even happened yet. Sell through is obviously important, however, because that is ultimately people picking up the game.

I don't know the exact sell through numbers (or at this point even the sell in), nor am I particularly motivated at this point in time in bothering people to find out. In terms of finances, however, DA2 was a success, as was the DLC.

Edited by alanschu

"I suppose I can't argue with that*, but my chart above is not necessarily invalidated, it only shows 10 weeks and as you say, cannot take digital sales into account. The report talks about total sales, not sales during the first 10 weeks."

Your chart is garbage. there's no way around. The soruce you get it from is pathetic. Look at the chartys for various games. It's illogical. You wanna know they get their stupid numbers, IIRC? They call up random stores and ask them how many they sold and then friggin' times it by x amount of store supposed. It's such a juvenile and hugely inaccurate way to do this kind of thing. And, it's not just DA2 numbers. It's for every single game they have ever done. Anyone who uses that as a 'source' can't be taken seriously.

"*EA has lied in the past, or used tricky logic to falsify their numbers.""

L0L EA is a publicly traded company. They lie and get caught the big wigs are asking for major trouble.

"Who's to say John Ravioli just didn't buy 100k copies of DA2 at their wholesale value just to make the numbers look good for the investors?"

This is why you cna't be taken seriously. Because of dumb conspiracy theories like this. There's no common sense being used by you just pure hatred and conspiracy theory nonsense. You have made up your mind about soemthing and will make up stuff to 'prove' yopur point. And, i say that despite perosnally thinking that 'John Ravioli' is a douchebag of epic levels.

Of course I've made up my mind. It's only reinforced every time BioWare says I'm entitled or a vocal minority. Or that I'm crazy. I'm not crazy. And every time you post in this thread in defense of DA2, I know how sane I really am. The only one left. Because it makes me realize. How do I know YOU aren't John Riccitiello? You'd post that you hate him, just throw me off your trail, wouldn't you? Don't think I'm not onto you. I have charts to suggest... as well as your ip address... and it's rather suspicious. Isn't "North Bay, Ontario, Kanada" an anagram for, "A Databank Oration Horny"? It makes me rather suspicious that my suspicions are correct. I mean, I know what you're capable of. You had bots posting for EA http://www.eurogamer...ijacked-by-bots. I'm not putting it past you John. You made this thread to call me out. Populating it with your bots, having them post at irregular intervals. It's smart. Killing two birds with one stone. You'll also convince Obsidian to copy Dragon Age 2 by showing how popular its defense is. And when they copy it, it'll make BioWare's RPGs look better and crush the competition. I'm not one to express... what you might call paranoia (it's not, no it's not, shut up), but the circumstances of this thread violate everything. Everything. You'd think it wouldn't, but it does. And if you're not John -- who are you working for? I could have this all wrong, maybe, but, something here is fishy. You must be working for somebody. I can tell - I've been fully trained. And I know, if I can find out who you really are, then the lies will end. I know I'm missing a few pieces, but it's almost complete. I know none of you can probably see it. Like I see it. But I have a feeling. That EA is in bed with Activision. It explains the Mass Effect 2 discs - I mean, I knew it all along. That they were sharing data. The intelligence community knows about it too, but they aren't doing anything about it. The monopoly. Don't think all of us are sheep, missing the strings of the puppet masters. The media would have you believe that EA isn't nefariously conspiring to process and water down its products like a cheap lemonade stand. That it wouldn't manipulate its market data to eschew the economic realities. If people were to dig up the facts, they'd find that they're neither man nor milk. Optics. Operatives. Ocularities. Everywhere. It's why I'm trying to make it. A video, I mean. I'm sorry if this is a little jumbled, but I'm trying to keep it from THEM. Maybe this will help 46 69 6c 74 65 72 20 6f 6e 2e. But if it doesn't it's okay that's what COME, I will make the continent indissoluble; I will make the most splendid race the sun ever yet shone upon; I will make divine magnetic lands

The Master leads

by emptying pe0xople's minds

and filling their cores,

by weakening the2ir ambition

and toughening their resolve.

He helps people lose everything

they know, ever7ything they desire,

and creates confusion

in those who think that they know.

(yes, of course it wasn't Oswald use gaussian interpolation)

Sorry I can't say any more or they'll find

Edited by anubite
  • Like 2

Anubite, you start sounding like Steven Heck :)

Back to Dragon Age 2:

I think what, from a point of game design, was a bad decission was taking over too many elements from Mass Effect. Especially the house with an npc to alert you to new messages. It was annoying but fit with the Normandy in ME2, but the butler dwarf... it gave me the impression of: "The powers that be told us to implement these ME2 features and so we did." Then again Mr. Gaider had been very vocal on the forum about taking some of the things that ME did different than Dragon Age and using them. I felt though that some of them made the game less Dragon Age 2 and more Mass Effect in a fantasy setting - and that did not work for me.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I'm sure that, if we did include him in DA3, no matter what direction we take him some people will declare him Ruined FOREVER. I mean, what if we

contravened headcanon?

Perish the thought. There's so much blank canvas which has been filled in by his fans, it's practically impossible we could do otherwise.

This guy has some serious issues with the fanbase.

Edited by NKKKK

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

That's because the fan base - all fan bases - are literally insane and have seriously issue. Fanatics believe they 'own' everything and everyone should kiss their butt - espciially if it is something they like. Not just games but it happens in sports, television, or anything that involves 'famous' people or 'famous projects'. It's scary how delusional people are when it comes to their importance. Being a celebrity - even an extremly minor one - like Gaider and BIO are (or Obsidian and MCA) - is riddled with scariness.