What about hiring Brent Knowles?

Do you think that Brent Knowles would be a useful addition to the Obsidian team?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that Brent Knowles would be a useful addition to the Obsidian team?

• Yes! He should get a full time contract for the whole development cycle.
    • Yes! But he should be hired just as a consultant.
    • No. The Obsidian guys don't need any addition to their team.
    • No. He is not the right guy to hire.

Seeing how the Kickstarter campaign is going I think that there's a good chance that the guys at Obsidian will need to hire new people to complement their team and get every single feature of the game done. If that is the case I think that Brent Knowles would be the perfect person to help them out.

Who is him?

He is the lead designer of Dragon Age Origins, he worked on Baldur's Gate II and Neverwinter Nights too. He left Bioware in 2009 because he didn't like the direction the company was taking with DA II. Right now he doesn't seem be at work on any game, he is a freelance designer and a writer.

Here's a post about his experience at Bioware and why he left.

http://blog.brentkno...08-summer-2009/

Here are some quotes:

"Party control/tactical combat are huge factors in my enjoyment of a role-playing game as is adopting the role of the hero (i.e., customizing my character)"

"interactive movies have never been the kinds of games I wanted to play. [...] I kind of wish the huge effort I know it takes to build those cinematic experiences could be spent on gameplay."

• Like 1

yeah, i remember when he left (or was forced to leave BioWare) because he didn't like the direction the Dragon Age franchise was taking (ie button mashing nonsense)

In my mind i'd like to think he made some crazy speech ripping into the EA execs and the spineless wimps who gave into their demands so easily. Then he flips over his desk, drops his mic, gives everyone the peace sign and says "I'm out, bltch!"

edit: yeah, I wouldn't be opposed to him helping out in some capacity...the game seems to be shaping out to be huge and i'm sure another pair of experienced hands would help, even if only as a consultant.

Edited by NerdBoner

He's awesome. But, I still best to have me as a 4mil stretch goal as 'mean guy who criticzes their bad decisions on staff' would make them MILLIONS.

"n my mind i'd like to think he made some crazy speech ripping into the EA execs and the spineless wimps who gave into their demands so easily. Then he flips over his desk, drops his mic, gives everyone the peace sign and says "I'm out, bltch!""

l0l :D

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Man, why don't you guys let Feargus make the hiring decisions, lol. I think its cool to make SUGGESTIONS about things you would like to see or game mechanics or whatever but it seems kinda wrong to hold petitions over people to be hired for the project. Thats high level administrative stuff. All this "hire Sweet!" and "hire Ziets!" stuff kinda rubs me the wrong way. Also, if these guys wanted in on this project, I would figure they have heard of it and already dropped Feargus a line.

• Like 1

This forum is for suggestions. It's up to obsidian tod ecide ultimately who they want to hirea nd up to the potential employee tod ecide fi they want to work for Obsidian.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Great idea!I I just was thinking about this guy yesterday night!

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget