Baldur's Gate enhanced edition

Dezloc

You'll be able to play without having the Beamdog client running; I believe the client is required to buy and download the game however.

Certainly not necessary to buy it, and from their information not necessary to download it, either.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

You'll be able to play without having the Beamdog client running; I believe the client is required to buy and download the game however.

Certainly not necessary to buy it, and from their information not necessary to download it, either.

That's correct, there will be a stand-alone updater according to Trent Oster: http://www.beamdog.com/forum/forums/general-discussion/topics/availability-without-installing-beamdog-client . Thanks for the correction.

IIRC they're using the ultra hi res pictures (you only saw in the character creation screen), but this is something by knowledge and recollection is a lot more vague on. Zeckul? :)

• 1 month later...

Bit of a rant time. :p

I'd have to say I'm a little disappointed with most of the movies (cut scenes) taken out of BGEE.

Scenes that have been taken out:

The Iron Throne; The Duchal Palace; The Dungeon; The Wyvern; The Temple of Bhaal; The Sewers; The Gnoll Stronghold; Beregost; Entering Durlag's Tower; Sunset; Sunrise; Candlekeep.

Now some people might be not be too concerned with some of those scenes like sunrise and sunset being taken out, but seeing all those videos taken out, I'd have to ask what's left? Not much at all. Taking most of the cutscenes out really misses out on the immersion and story for new players as well as those players who have always enjoyed the cutscenes.

What would a new player prefer?

1. Original version from GoG for less than $10, has ALL the original content and you can mod the game with new content for free.

2. Enhanced version with original content taken out., eg. most cutscenes taken out, but has new content added in for $20

For a so called 'enhanced' edition with taking most of the cutscenes out, it flies in the face of being enhanced. It seems more like a 'cut version' of the game that's been modded with new content. Especially when they say and still say on their website that ALL cinematics will be enhanced and in the game. http://i47.tinypic.com/sq0189.jpg The right thing to do is for them to to put all the cinematics to be enhanced back in the game with a future patch. It just won't be the same when I expect a cutscene for a new chapter and it won't be there.

For someone who has defended BGEE up until now, it's very hard to defend it against the GoG version when original content has been cut.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

Bit of a rant time. :p

I'd have to say I'm a little disappointed with most of the movies (cut scenes) taken out of BGEE.

Scenes that have been taken out:

The Iron Throne; The Duchal Palace; The Dungeon; The Wyvern; The Temple of Bhaal; The Sewers; The Gnoll Stronghold; Beregost; Entering Durlag's Tower; Sunset; Sunrise; Candlekeep.

Now some people might be not be too concerned with some of those scenes like sunrise and sunset being taken out, but seeing all those videos taken out, I'd have to ask what's left? Not much at all. Taking most of the cutscenes out really misses out on the immersion and story for new players as well as those players who have always enjoyed the cutscenes.

What would a new player prefer?

1. Original version from GoG for less than $10, has ALL the original content and you can mod the game with new content for free.

2. Enhanced version with original content taken out., eg. most cutscenes taken out, but has new content added in for $20

For a so called 'enhanced' edition with taking most of the cutscenes out, it flies in the face of being enhanced. It seems more like a 'cut version' of the game that's been modded with new content. Especially when they say and still say on their website that ALL cinematics will be enhanced and in the game. http://i47.tinypic.com/sq0189.jpg The right thing to do is for them to to put all the cinematics to be enhanced back in the game with a future patch. It just won't be the same when I expect a cutscene for a new chapter and it won't be there.

For someone who has defended BGEE up until now, it's very hard to defend it against the GoG version when original content has been cut.

Can I ask a stupid question, as I haven't played BG1 but I have played BG2,why would a few missing movies detract from the overall gaming experience. You still get to explore, fight creatures and make decisions that influence the game?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Can I ask a stupid question, as I haven't played BG1 but I have played BG2,why would a few missing movies detract from the overall gaming experience. You still get to explore, fight creatures and make decisions that influence the game?

They added to the story the first time through, usually at Act changes. There are also different areas where they pop up too. They also give you a hint as to what may happen in that act or new area. Some examples below with spoilers:

Nashkel: Gnoll running along the fence to a house while the farmer's wife says goodbye to her husband.

Gnolls are encountered in the surrounding area - mainly Nashkel Mines

Sewers: Eggs shown at the bottom of the sewers - probably Carrion crawler eggs.

Carrion Crawlers are encountered in the sewers.

Gnoll Fortress: Pans through and down a pit.

Dynahier is found in one of the pits for Minsc's quest.

Cloakwood Forest: Wyvern comes out of nowhere and takes off with a cow.

Wyvern quest with Beregost Temple, Wyvern quest with Coran

They add to the story and immersion to the game. Imagine a developer saying they are going to enhance all the cinematics in BG2 and then having nearly every cutscene and movie taken out of BG2 and relabelling it an 'Enhanced Edition'. You seem to be okay with this? :blink:

They added to the story the first time through, usually at Act changes. There are also different areas where they pop up too. They also give you a hint as to what may happen in that act or new area. Some examples below with spoilers:

Nashkel: Gnoll running along the fence to a house while the farmer's wife says goodbye to her husband.

Gnolls are encountered in the surrounding area - mainly Nashkel Mines

Sewers: Eggs shown at the bottom of the sewers - probably Carrion crawler eggs.

Carrion Crawlers are encountered in the sewers.

Gnoll Fortress: Pans through and down a pit.

Dynahier is found in one of the pits for Minsc's quest.

Cloakwood Forest: Wyvern comes out of nowhere and takes off with a cow.

Wyvern quest with Beregost Temple, Wyvern quest with Coran

They add to the story and immersion to the game. Imagine a developer saying they are going to enhance all the cinematics in BG2 and then having nearly every cutscene and movie taken out of BG2 and relabelling it an 'Enhanced Edition'. You seem to be okay with this? :blink:

Okay, I see your point. I'll play the game and let you know if I felt anything was missing as it will be my first time and I won't have any expectations.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Okay, I see your point. I'll play the game and let you know if I felt anything was missing as it will be my first time and I won't have any expectations.

Well you have no comparison to compare with. You won't know what's missing because most of the movies and cut scenes have been taken out. You'll go to a new area and think nothing of it. However, for some people that have played it year after year, it may feel a little strange expecting a cutscene to a new area, chapter, town, city, etc and there isn't any.

It also comes back to my question: Imagine a developer saying they are going to enhance all the cinematics in BG2 and then having nearly every cutscene and movie taken out of BG2 and relabelling BG2 'Enhanced Edition'. You seem to be okay with this?

Since you've played BG2, you would know what is missing from the game. Would you want most of the movies and cutscenes taken out? It's the same thing with BGEE.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

Well you have no comparison to compare with. You won't know what's missing because most of the movies and cut scenes have been taken out. You'll go to a new area and think nothing of it. However, for some people that have played it year after year, it may feel a little strange expecting a cutscene to a new area, chapter, town, city, etc and there isn't any.

It also comes back to my question: Imagine a developer saying they are going to enhance all the cinematics in BG2 and then having nearly every cutscene and movie taken out of BG2 and relabelling BG2 'Enhanced Edition'. You seem to be okay with this?

Since you've played BG2, you would know what is missing from the game. Would you want most of the movies and cutscenes taken out? It's the same thing with BGEE.

Honestly I don't consider the cinematics as a very important part of an RPG or rather that relevant. I think you are comfortable with them and you expect them to be part of the game, so the thought of them being left out makes you think "this will detract from my experience. Thats why for me playing BG1 for the first time I want to look at the gameplay objectively with no previous opinion and then comment on the overall entertainment factor that BGEE provides :)

John Milton 

A few missing movies? That is a huge percentage of the movies. I mean it won't ruin the game or anything but why take out very cool content to replace it with nothing?

You have to understand how those movies aided in the story telling and tone. There would be elements of the story that just wouldn't be told without those short little clips.

Edited by Brannart

Honestly I don't consider the cinematics as a very important part of an RPG or rather that relevant. I think you are comfortable with them and you expect them to be part of the game, so the thought of them being left out makes you think "this will detract from my experience. Thats why for me playing BG1 for the first time I want to look at the gameplay objectively with no previous opinion and then comment on the overall entertainment factor that BGEE provides :)

They are obviously not important parts of gameplay but rather important parts of story telling.

A few missing movies? That is a huge percentage of the movies. I mean it won't ruin the game or anything but why take out very cool content to replace it with nothing?

Its probably got to do with the fact that the quality of movies would be way below the graphics standard of the game. The movies would look incongruous compared to the rest of the game. Now the question may be "why not remake the movies with the same improved graphic standard? "

I have no idea how difficult or technically challenging it is to remake these types of cinematics but if it was quick job I am sure they would have done it.

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

as stupid as Bioware for loosing their original art...

There was a time during Jade Empire development where the building they were in received catastrophic flooding and caused a lot of intense damage including server damage. Much of Jade Empire's finaling occurred in a hotel as a result.

I wouldn't be surprised if something like that is what caused those original things to be lost.

Edited by alanschu

as stupid as Bioware for loosing their original art...

There was a time during Jade Empire development where the building they were in received catastrophic flooding and caused a lot of intense damage including server damage. Much of Jade Empire's finaling occurred in a hotel as a result.

I wouldn't be surprised if something like that is what caused those original things to be lost.

Alan you may have an informed opinion on this type of question. Why would they have left out the cinematics in BGEE and are they difficult to recreate from scratch?

John Milton 

I have no idea how difficult or technically challenging it is to remake these types of cinematics but if it was quick job I am sure they would have done it.

Depending on how good is good enough, it can be prohibitively expensive.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Alan you may have an informed opinion on this type of question. Why would they have left out the cinematics in BGEE and are they difficult to recreate from scratch?

Overhaul didn't leave out 'all' the cinematics. They left 'most' of them out. They did enhance and kept a couple of the cinematics in. Obviously with the delayed date and everything else with Overhaul, time was an issue and they couldn't get around to doing everything. Overhaul was stil working on the enhanced world map after their first release date was delayed. That tells me they were behind the eight ball a few weeks ago. It's only coming to light how far behind they are with 'enhancing' the game with having to cut original content from the game.

"as stupid as Bioware for loosing their original art..."

Not stupid. BIo simply doesn't give a crap about the IE. they threw it in a trash, and for good reason. It';s old news, it's unneeded, it's nothing bot overrated nostalgia 9espicially BG1).

That said, totally lame they ain't including movies and their reasoning is pathetic. But, then again, the entire projetc has been handled poorly. Then again, not surprising, since only BIO should be doing BG stuff. Nobody else can handle that responsibility - espicially the loser in charge of the EE.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

You seem to be avoiding my question. This is the third time I'll ask it.

Imagine a developer saying they are going to enhance all the cinematics in BG2 and even stating this on their website, then having nearly every cutscene and movie taken out of BG2, despite relabelling the game 'Baldurs Gate 2 Enhanced Edition'. You seem to be okay with this? You're okay with most of the cinematics and movies taken out of BG2 even though the game is being marketed as the 'enhanced edition' with upgraded graphics and cinematics?

If Overhaul are having problems enhancing and finishing BG1 on time (even with one delayed release date) and BG1 is no where near the size of BG2, then what problems are Overhaul going to have when they start on the BG2 enhanced edition next year. Because I think my question is relevant when it comes to BG2.

No clue whatsoever. At best I could ask a friend that works for them though.

Considering those cinematics (in the original) are unskipable on a fresh install, and hold no value what so ever in terms of progressing the story of the game (though it can be argued they help establish a tone, even though I personally don't get that from them), I'd much rather have a game that didn't include them at all over a game that force me to watch them again.

So in my eyes, a clear improvement.

IMO if they say they're gonna replace ALL the cinematics with hand drawn ones, then they need to stick to that. It's a dumb move to just cut all of these without putting anything in their place. Sure, the originals look dated, but do they not understand the concept of nostalgia? When I play BG I expect and want to see those kobolds sneaking up to the farm on the outskirts of Nashkel, and the Wyvern swooping down and taking off with that cow, and the slow reveals of Durlag's Tower and the Temple of Bhaal, etc. etc. It's just another item on the list of things I dislike about how this project is being handled. Ugh.

I'll stick with my own enhanced version of the game and enjoy all the original content, thank you very much.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

I don't get it. Can't they just rip the cinematics from the original game? Sounds like something an enterprising modder will do within a week of release. Though if it were that easy, I guess there wouldn't be this point of contention.

I personally don't care and would probably prefer the hand painted ones.

IMO if they say they're gonna replace ALL the cinematics with hand drawn ones, then they need to stick to that. It's a dumb move to just cut all of these without putting anything in their place. Sure, the originals look dated, but do they not understand the concept of nostalgia? When I play BG I expect and want to see those kobolds sneaking up to the farm on the outskirts of Nashkel, and the Wyvern swooping down and taking off with that cow, and the slow reveals of Durlag's Tower and the Temple of Bhaal, etc. etc. It's just another item on the list of things I dislike about how this project is being handled. Ugh.

I'll stick with my own enhanced version of the game and enjoy all the original content, thank you very much.

Ask them for a comment, maybe they ran out of time and are going to implement those later. I mean they're improving multiplayer post-release, maybe they'll add videos?

Not of crucial importance to me, and I can even see their viewpoint to a degree, but still odd.