Will elves have "souls"?

In traditional folklore I've seen elves described as "supernatural" creatures. I've also read interpretations that they have "spirits" rather than "souls", whatever that means. Hence I wonder if they will somehow be differentiated in terms of "souls" within the game? Perhaps the nature of their supernatural selves is the reason they are a more magical race?

One notion I had is that, rather than having separate souls, the elves share a "common soul" with nature. Hence it is never shattered at the individual level, although it may become so at a higher level. This shared soul is the reason why elves have a very different view of the world, and are seen to behave strangely. Indeed, they may have more in common with nature spirits than with mankind. :luck:

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Ahh ginger elves, that amused me waaay more then it should have. Imma go out and say they probably have souls. They're body/soul may have other kind of a tie to it but considering the player can be 'any' of the races they're doing and they all witness the same 'event' that causes whatever to happen... I'd imagine, ultimately, everyone has a soul, and are all generally in the same boat as it where in that.

DnD, for instance, Elves had souls still, they still got sent to the outerplanes and all that. They where all subject to that kinda stuff. I think the difference between soul and spirit, in the way your thinking is more... I'll use Tolkien as an example. Elves could be viewed as a more tangible soul (or a spirit) they always exist, they're immortal, they don't really pass on... 'soul' doesn't leave the body and all that. When the elves left or passed on it was some weird other worldly thing going on there and they're physical forms where moving with them?

I dunno it's all kinda weird stuff but generally that's how I'd explain the difference between a soul and a spirit. A soul and body are seperate but co-exist as a living creature. Spirit is a tangible, existing soul with out a body that ... exists on...**** man I dunno its weird. Either way im sure they got souls since what I said earlier.

-edit-

Ahh though all that aside, Soul and Spirit are definition wise about th esame thing. Spirit is the seperated, incorporeal form of a person (or thing I guess). So yeah, they all got souls.

Edited by Adhin

Def Con: kills owls dead

I suggest that we form a team... nay, a fellowship!... to go on a grand quest to find the sacred text of elvishness, which will answer all questions of elven representation in fantasy and put an end to decades of sectarian strife between different denominations of elven fandom.

Since when dont elves have souls? They are at least semi mortal in my mind, or at the very least can die when run through with a sword so in my mind at least they should have souls.

Elves not having souls is pretty standard for a fantasy setting.

Edited by moridin84

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

We don't know ANYTHING about elves or dwarves except them being in the game.

But I do like of the idea of race that does not have a "traditional" souls and instead share a one big powerful soul or have no souls of their own (while we are at it: Will human soul always reincarnate into human body? Or can they reincarnate into a different species? And what will that do to a soul and/or the body?) and so on. There is a lot of things you can do with souls to make a race unique.

Since when dont elves have souls?

Elves not having souls is pretty standard for a fantasy setting.

What.

I'm fairly certain that any race ‘not having souls’ is not standard. Examples?

Edited by Saerain
10RfE.gif

What.

Yes, that confused me also, every fantasy setting I have known they have had souls.

I see no reason why they would be different in this case.

I'm in the same boat. Other than maybe an affinity for magic, I wasn't aware elves were all the special in most settings. I know Tolkien's were very special, but other than that I would like some examples. Can someone help me out?

Obsidian is developing their own IP here, so I think it's safe to say that elves won't be an exception from the "soul-system".

You said it, I don't currently see a reason why elves would be any different when compared to any other race with regards to souls.

If I recall correctly, the elves in the Rift War saga didn't have souls, or at least they didn't go to the 'Halls of the Dead' like humans did.

I think that the elf-like guys in the Memory, Sword and Thorns books also didn't have souls.

The idea is that humans are mortal and so have a place to go to when they die, whereas elves are immortal and are gone forever when they die.

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

What a silly question. Of course elves won't have souls, everybody knows that.

You're being silly. Elves are a sapient race like any other. They do magic, they live, they love, they fight, they have souls.

It's those lazy no-good Halflings that are probably without.

On that note, I do hope there's some significant racial distinctions. It sounds like it, but we'll see.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

RipTen: The Soul system/philosophy seems to underpin everything about what we know of Project Eternity (setting, society, etc). Can you talk a bit about how that will be woven throughout the combat and non-combat experience? In other words, how will souls link the narrative with the interactive aspects?

Chris Avellone: We don’t want to give too much away on the story and narration at this point. That said, the idea of souls persisting from being to being, and being reborn and finding homes in people is a concept that not only gives more strength to the world and connections between individuals, but the purest (unfragmented) souls are able to allow individuals to create tremendous displays of power… and even souls that have fractured and shattered over time are capable of magic as well, although in different respects. This directly fuels our combat and ability system, and it is the source of the player’s and companions’ power, for example.

http://www.ripten.com/2012/10/04/we-peered-deep-into-the-soul-of-project-eternitys-chris-avellone-interview/

with such premises, any race not having souls would be pointless