Thief 1&2 and System Shock 2 enhanced for modern systems

aVENGER

Something of interest for stealth game fans: an unofficial patch which upgrades the Dark Engine (used by the Thief games and System Shock 2) has been released, making it capable of running smoothly on modern systems. Among other things, the patch enables widescreen support, 32-bit textures and OpenAL.

Check this TTLG thread for the full changelog.

Links:

Thief 2 V1.19:

http://www64.zippyshare.com/v/33869454/file.html | md5 : 131cd0a1d9e626ee90e569571e8d0d01

System Shock V2.4:

http://www64.zippyshare.com/v/89847252/file.html | md5 : 907489eccafe1cab55b01386f17a8efd

Demo Thief 1 (Bafford's manor) : http://depositfiles.com/files/9qzqrf7mu | md5 : 6f297e85577c6faa89f62805e00fbc74

Demo System Shock 2 (Med/Sci deck) : http://depositfiles.com/files/q50s53phw | md5 : 062a84c68c4ff2b759f0820aedfa6d2f

• Like 2

Yeah, this patch is great. I might actually finish SS2 this time. Still need to beat Thief 1, though.

Edited by Yes Man

"Well, there's many things they have forgotten sitting in their bowls. Friendship. The thrill of discovery. Love. Masturbation. The usual." -Dr. Mobius

Thanks dude, I'll finally get to play System Shock 2. I only played the demo ages ago..

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Yeah, this patch is great. I might actually finish SS2 this time. Still need to beat Thief 1, though.

You might get the chance, the patch works for Thief 1/Gold as well:

Before running the game in a Thief 1/G install you must add the config var "dark1" to the "cam.cfg" (or

"cam_ext.cfg"). Failure to do so will lead to strange things happening and ultimately a crash.

In order for option menus to look right, the provided "interface.crf" has to be added. Either by putting

it in a mod dir and adding it to the "mod_path" in "cam_mod.ini" or by placing it in a "patch" dir.

Thanks dude, I'll finally get to play System Shock 2. I only played the demo ages ago..

Oh my god I wish I was a Shock2 virgin like you.

Either way, these patches are awesome. Cutscenes finally work in Win7 without hitches, I get OpenAL sound including EAX effects without that fake Alchemy nonsense, real widescreen support and what not.

Thanks to the fan community, Looking Glass Studios will never die. I wonder if Thief 4 will have the same longevity.

• Like 1

I don't know how you managed to skip one of the best games ever, but you are one lucky bastard. Few mods I'd recommend:

- SS2Tool

Patches the game with official patches and the new 2.4, also making the game mod ready

- SS2 Straylight ADaoB

Fixes things, BUT I have zero idea how this works with the new 2.4.

- SS2 SHMUP

Updates the games music with much better quality versions

- SS2 SHTUP

Updates the games textures with much better ones

- SS2 Rebirth

Updates models. The guy got snatched to Arkane Studios before he managed to finish it, but it's a must have still.

Check out www.systemshock.org for more, especially the weapon re-texture mods.

There are a few legendary games I never got around to, like SS2, Full Throttle, Freespace 1 and 2 and Wing Commander 3, Morrowind... I'm writing a backlog right now, trying to remember the stuff I skipped.

The big screen on my PC killed a lot of games for me, I had to wait for widescreen mods and whatnot.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

All right, these mods made me very much wanting to play SS2, but I can't find it for sale on steam or gog. Is it available anywhere?

Good question, I managed to find a new copy of it from amazon.co.uk few years ago but now they have only used copies. Hopefully GOG gets it sometime.

There are a few legendary games I never got around to, like SS2, Full Throttle, Freespace 1 and 2 and Wing Commander 3, Morrowind... I'm writing a backlog right now, trying to remember the stuff I skipped.

The big screen on my PC killed a lot of games for me, I had to wait for widescreen mods and whatnot.

Both SS2 and FreeSpace 1&2 has had widescreen mods for ages. I personally think they are the best sci-fi games ever along side Deus Ex, so I strongly suggest you start to unwind your backlog from them.

Full Throttle is good too, but I dont personally like it as much as the other Lucasarts legends.

There's no place to get SS2 legally except 2nd hand. EA owns bits of the game and LGS's insurance company owns other bits and until that is resolved it won't be sold.

I've played through the game with the new patch with no problems, so ADAOB ought not to have any either.