Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[MODES] - How about a 5% experience bonus per difficulty mode?

Expert Iron Man Ironman Damned Expert Mode Trial of Iron Path of the Damned

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

lordgizka

lordgizka

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Well if on higher difficulties there is going to be simply more enemies, as was stated in the update, it would be weird for these enemies to NOT yield more experience.

BSoda

BSoda

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
So as reward for taking the more difficult way you want it to be...easier ?
  • nikolokolus, Thulean, Sensuki and 2 others like this

cyberarmy

cyberarmy

Mass Destruction Weapon of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Call me crazy, but isn't the point of this stuff that the challenge itself is the reward? It always confuses me when people ask for extra difficulty, but then want some sort of reward for playing on the extra difficult mode.

Personally, I play on the hardest difficulties because I enjoy the challenge, and I wouldn't want any extra reward to make it easier, as that takes away from the challenge.

This,
We dont need no stinkin reward, we are here for suffering and pain. Nothing rewards like completiton.
But im ok for some achivment/badge system :p Something to seperate us from mere mortals. MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!1!

Tlantl

Tlantl

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 42 posts

Shouldn't it technically be less XP for each difficulty level if you really want to make each one more challenging?

According to what principle? if the game on the hardest setting it's -let's say- twice as hard, that experience bonus shouldn't make the game easier.
Just reward the player a little more, to a minor extent.

And I'd like to point that, as I already stated, I'm not very fond of that suggestion, but your objection sounds a bit baseless to me.

wouldn't adding a bonus to earned XP make reaching the highest level easier? I'd assume that becoming stronger while the game stays the same would make playing the game easier, maybe even a cake walk that negates the difficulty setting.

I wouldn't much care since I don't actually plan on upping the difficulty from the default setting unless the game is really easy on that setting. I'm not much of a fan of having to beat on something for twice as long as normal to simulate a harder game. That's not to say these guys are just going to lower my chance to hit and increase hit points to the extreme like many other games do but it is the easiest and most common method of making games more difficult.

ogrezilla

ogrezilla

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 883 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
one thing I would enjoy is a mode where the difficulty is designed for high or max level characters. For a typical play through I want reasonable leveling, but I could enjoy a run through where everything is an epic battle. That bandit and his dog that attacked you at the start of the game? Ya, now its a group of warlocks and their hellspawns and I'm hurling lightning bolts and cleaving them with my great axe.

Given the chance to make a list of priorities for the game, this is probably on page two. but I think it'd be fun. And yes, its inspired by a similar mode in Devil May Cry. Sue me, I like action games too.

Edited by ogrezilla, 26 September 2012 - 10:55 PM.

dlux

dlux

Righteous Paladin of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 685 posts
No.

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer
I like the extra cool items in Heart of Fury mode in the IWD series, but no extra experience please.

Loki Ador

Loki Ador

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Shouldn't it technically be less XP for each difficulty level if you really want to make each one more challenging?

Unless the reward is meant to offset the greater difficulty. I see it as a bonus for playing on a higher setting.

But then, why should the game reward players with an inner mechanism that was meant to make the character stronger, and thus the game easier ?

Some players feel the need to be rewarded for playing in hardcore mod (although I cannot really understand why, but, well...), but providing more XP is not the right way to do so.

Maybe some dedicated achievements ? Or something like an in-game item that would have no specific power but would only be attributed to players that complete the game in higher difficulty modes ? Such as the ring of a king, that would have no magical power but would be cool anyway ?

Jasede

Jasede

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 323 posts
No thank you; incentives are not required for picking difficulties, especially not if they do anything to swing the odds in my favor. Challenge is its own reward.
And no to achievements.

Director

Director

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Should accrue a 5% XP penalty per difficulty mode enabled.

It's supposed to make things harder, after all.

Azrayel

Azrayel

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts
Personally, I don't like the idea of being rewarded for taking on a higher challenge tier; if I'm leveling faster it's not going to be quite as hard, is it?

I guess 5% could be small enough though, honestly I'd have to play and see how it was before I think I could make a solid call on this but my inclination is no-- leave it as something to consider for Eternity 2 after we've helped make the series' starter a success and know more of the game's "character."

Tamerlane

Tamerlane

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1125 posts
Making the hardest difficulty settings easier?

That's a paddlin'.

Shevek

Shevek

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1164 posts
The challenge should be its own reward. No added xp. No added items. You get bragging rights. If thats not enough, just play regular. There is no need to balance difficulty settings.
  • Jasede likes this

IcyDeadPeople

IcyDeadPeople

Milk Drinker of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 128 posts

BUT... How about attaching a 5% experience bonus to each of the game modes? It's not a straight up "You're missing out if you're not doing this" kind of thing, but it's an added incentive to face challenges one might otherwise not and surely preferable to the notion of giving people better equipment for playing a certain way. This is highly egotistical, since, as I said, I'll check Expert/Path of the Damned/Iron Man anyway, but 15% more EXP would make it SO much more rewarding.

I'd hate it. I don't play challenging modes to "grind" and level up fast or find phat lootz.

I really enjoy "survival" modes in games (or when added by mods) including location-specific injuries, blood loss, diseases, crippling injuries, wounds, infections, spoilage, food poisoning, etc., simply because that kind of gameplay is fun. I enjoy the process of crafting food, drink and medicinal items like bandages, splints, tourniquets, etc. I enjoy roleplaying a character who is struggling to survive in a harsh environnment. If I didn't enjoy it, there would be no point in playing that mode.

Getting experience faster would completely undermine the point of such a mode. Personally, I usually enjoy the lower levels the most in RPGs. I love that feeling when everything in the world is dangerous and you must struggle to scrounge and save up to buy a crappy iron sword. If I suddenly level up too fast, the game becomes boring.

I also tend to enjoy the kind of combat gameplay where the player dies and reloads often. Often this means the easy or "normal" combat difficulty setting might not be as fun as the harder setting. Why ruin it by forcing the player to level up faster? This is not WoW or Diablo, where people try to rush and level up as quickly as possible so they can do PvP at level 85,000 or whatever their cap is. In Project Eternity, there are going to be a lot of people like me who don't care about leveling up and just want to enjoy role playing a couple of interesting characters, considering that character's point of view and making choices according to what we think our character would want to do. We don't want to level up too fast, because if our character ever becomes too powerful or too wealthy, the game becomes boring.

Kasoroth

Kasoroth

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I think that in general harder difficulty levels should give less XP. In fact, since I tend to prefer slower advancement, my preference would be that the only thing changed by the base difficulty rating is XP: 75% for hard mode, 50% for really hard mode The game world remains the same, but you don't reach demi-god power levels so quickly, thus the game is harder. I also really like the idea of various modes that alter meta-game aspects rather than directly changing the difficulty of combats. Things like autosaving over a single save slot and erasing your saved game when you die (this one I'd probably wait until my second play through to try, I'm not totally insane) or more realistic inventory limits (weighty gold, please :) ), or starvation, or actual time limits with consequences for exceeding them (though not necessarily an instant game over) rather than having a storyline that pretends there's urgency while actually letting you take as long as you want.

I know many of these "realism" features annoy some players who are just playing for the story and/or hack and slash, but having the option to have these features would make me really happy. For me, a lot of the fun of an RPG is getting into the mind of the character, and trying to imagine what they would be thinking about and worrying about. While food supplies might seem mundane and boring compared to battling an evil warlord, failure to consider them could be just as deadly, so to me it makes sense that the character would worry about that. I like the idea of finding a huge treasure hoard, but not being able to take it because I need to travel light and fast right now. These sorts of details make the world seem much more real to me, and help me think from the character's point of view rather than as simply a game player, with all the simplifying gameplay conveniences that have become conventional for the genre.

I'm generally not a big fan of short term "you have 30 seconds until the bomb explodes" time limits (they're okay occasionally, but not too frequently), but I love longer term strategic time limits, like: You're injured and fatigued and could really use a good night's rest, but you only have two days before the enemy army seizes a strategic pass, so if you don't make a forced march to get through it now, you'll have to either fight or sneak your way through (a near impossibility), or find an alternate route, or accept being blocked from all the stuff on the other side for a while.

I like when you can make decisions that effect the story directly through game mechanics, not just in a conversation tree. I like the idea of significant plot-related NPCs being able to be killed outside of scripted death scenes, and having that death impact the story in some way. I don't want story and gameplay to be two separate entities that take turns with my attention, I want them to be merged as much as possible

-Kasoroth
  • IcyDeadPeople likes this

IcyDeadPeople

IcyDeadPeople

Milk Drinker of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 128 posts

I guess the thing is, if you like hard-core mode, typically the difficulty is the reward. Unless you're one of those people that likes to collect steam achievements (which I guess there's nothing wrong with that?). I personally love hard game modes after an initial playthrough because I love a good challenge and replaying a game in different ways. Making the hard-core mode easier in some way would turn me off a little bit.

It's OK to incentive-ize it somehow internally or externally, but it that incentive shouldn't make the game easier is all.

A Steam achievement could be fun, but any kind of in-game XP boost etc., would defeat the purpose of such a mode and make it less fun to play IMO.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople, 27 September 2012 - 07:17 PM.

agewisdom

agewisdom

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 210 posts
I feel having a FEW trophy loot (like 5, one for each class) would be a better choice. That way, if you see your PC wielding an awesome weapon, you'll know how immediately that it was played on a hardcore mode.

ogrezilla

ogrezilla

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 883 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
this really seems counterproductive to the point of these modes. Its too small to change the way the game is played, but its enough to give you a slight edge that you clearly aren't looking for when picking these modes.

Edited by ogrezilla, 27 September 2012 - 07:27 PM.

Muzrub333

Muzrub333

Brewmaster of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
So the point of this post was to rally support to add an EZ Mode exp bonus to the Hard Mode of the game? LOL Really?

You've been playing too many modern MMO's; those things will rot your brain.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5075 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I feel having a FEW trophy loot (like 5, one for each class) would be a better choice. That way, if you see your PC wielding an awesome weapon, you'll know how immediately that it was played on a hardcore mode.

Yes, if you get tougher foes you could probably expect better loot, so your non-level-based abilities would increment a little faster. That should give you some additional satisfaction.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Expert, Iron Man, Ironman, Damned, Expert Mode, Trial of Iron, Path of the Damned

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users