"Other" Playable Species Poll

"Other" Species  

405 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like your "other" playable species?

• Totally true to AD&D
    • All humanoid
    • A little beastly
    • Completely different, original, or even outworldish
    • A mix of all
  2. 2. To be spesific, choose multiple choices that define your taste the best.

• Small humans (gnomes, halflings & hobbits)
    • Greenies (orcs, goblins, etc.)
    • Bull-ish (minotaurs, tauren, etc.)
    • Aquatic (merefolk, fishmen, etc.)
    • Demonic
    • Insectoid (Tri-kreen, etc.)
    • Werebeasts
    • Bearmen (Wookies, Pandaren, etc.)
    • Scalies (Draconic, Lizardmen etc.)
    • Undead (Zombie, Vampire etc.)

The new movie? That monstorsity?

No, the fairy tale. About the pale girl and her dwarf friends. It doesn't seem a compelling argument to claim that more imaginative fantasy is childish because of a story about pigs and wolves that was targeted at children, when there's a similar bedtime/disney tale involving dwarves that love to mine.

It's how you use it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

long post

Dunno but still a little bit of courage and creativity works wonders. My favorite game when it comes to companions (and overall) is PS:T, not just because they have a unique background but also their looks and behaviours are magnificiently well drawn and unique.

Oh of course, I'm just saying that people shouldn't just dismiss the usual races out of hand or demand that they be subverted to make them unique. At the end of the day it's the characters we get to meet and how well defined they are that makes or breaks the game in my mind, and how memorable they are indeed!

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

This is not D&D though. No tieflings (that sort of silliness wasn't even in the versions I played anyway). I wouldn't even mind it being all human.

If there are races they should be subtly different. Elder Scrolls did it alright I think, all the types of elves were basically just tiny variants of each other, all the types of humans were just ethnic groups (except when they threw that out the door with cat and lizard people).

If there are non human races then they should be non-human in all ways - ie, if you have lizardmen then the males should not have deeper voices and the female must not have mammaries, you should be totally unable to tell the difference between a male and female cat person. Dwarves should not just be small humans, and elves should not just be poetry loving humans who live longer.

If there are non human races then they should be non-human in all ways - ie, if you have lizardmen then the males should not have deeper voices and the female must not have mammaries, you should be totally unable to tell the difference between a male and female cat person. Dwarves should not just be small humans, and elves should not just be poetry loving humans who live longer.

There is gender dimorphism in lizards and cats, though. While lizards can have slight difference (slightly larger head or tail in male to much larger males to different colors), most cats do have a size difference in gender (and that's excluding the obviousness of maned lions) and certainly when I've been around others with pet cats, telling the males from females at a distance wasn't too difficult without looking for the obvious sign.

I'd agree mammaries shouldn't be on any species that isn't mamalian* realistically, but I suppose the creators would need to determine if a "Lizardman" was a mammal who has characteristics of a reptile or a large reptile.

*presuming that species weren't diety created which could mean anything, really.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

long post

Dunno but still a little bit of courage and creativity works wonders. My favorite game when it comes to companions (and overall) is PS:T, not just because they have a unique background but also their looks and behaviours are magnificiently well drawn and unique.

Oh of course, I'm just saying that people shouldn't just dismiss the usual races out of hand or demand that they be subverted to make them unique. At the end of the day it's the characters we get to meet and how well defined they are that makes or breaks the game in my mind, and how memorable they are indeed!

Well, in my opinion, visual uniquenesses are just as important though. We used to apply addons to PS:T to change companion clothings and stuff... Not that the original versions were not enough, but it's another kind of familiarity to your party. Now we will probably have smaller sprites in Eternity so I'd like to see characters that are utterly distinctable from eachother by the way they look.

I would like to see something utterly different. Like Asheron's Call's Virindi. Now, those were original, and also terrifying. It's relatively hard to invent a race that doesn't possess any degree of animorphism or anthropomorphism, and still have it be relateable. Not to mention you'd need a unique animation skeleton for something like that, and it might be harder to stretch the standard itemization (what need does an amorphous swarm of metal bound together by soul-energy have for boots?). I'd still like to see it, but even if they don't go for that, I'd like to see the less-used options (insectiods and reptiloids mostly).

We need some mix of Elves in this topic - something like:

1. Obsidian Elves (ancient assassins order of Elves secluded from society - most of them are assassins and spies "the very best money can buy") While pursuing their own agenda, the Obsidian Elves adopted changing world of Project Eternity. But they kept true to their political display of power by means of assassination, targets were chosen carefully and perspectively. The assassination of their adversaries were either public to show power and incite fear or carried out in complete silence (mostly when they performed contract assassination). Order of Obsidian Elves have prevented many wars and bloodshed throughout the history.

l2-dark-elf-female3.jpg

2. Wild Elves ( their ancestors mixed Elven blood with Humans or even worse, some are even barbaric in nature - most of them ether bandits or mercenaries) best way to describe them is they never hurt common folk but often rob rich merchants. They have their own forest society built by their laws and equality.

Concept-Rogue.png

3. Ivory Elves (very are very arrogant, but they keep old ways alive and above of all other races they respect and understand power their souls - occupation is unknown)

dao-poster-elf-mage.jpg

Obsidian and Ivory Elves learned to use power of their souls to reach their very different goals.

Elven settlements should be very hard to find.

Your 2nd poll question needs a other category

You're right but; the poll has a limit of 10, and editing is not possible (or I would've eliminated the least voted category and replace it with something else.)

Yet again I'll make an updated poll next week so please keep posting your suggestions.

• Small humans (gnomes, halflings & hobbits) - Small Humans
  • Greenies (orcs, goblins, etc.) - Green-skin Humans
  • Bull-ish (minotaurs, tauren, etc.) - Bullheaded Humans
  • Aquatic (merefolk, fishmen, etc.) - Fish Humans
  • Demonic - Humans with Horns and Wings

• Insectoid (Tri-kreen, etc.) - Giant Ant
  • Werebeasts - Animal-headed Humans
  • Bearmen (Wookies, Pandaren, etc.) - Fat Hairy Humans
  • Scalies (Draconic, Lizardmen etc.) - Scaly-skin Humans
  • Undead (Zombie, Vampire etc.) - Dead Humans

Too many humans

There's a bit of a genre out there, I guess you could call it 'Alien Fantasy' that, despite the Aliens, is not sci-fi but whole hearted fantasy using very alien creatures and sentient beings. I've seen the genre accused of just being sci-fi because of the nature of some of the different species, but, I've come across quite a few interesting 'races' as a result. I can't help but wonder if an approach that said, "I want to make a more or less original very alien species, as if for a sci-fi but then build them up within the context of a fantasy world" wouldn't result in a couple neat ideas for non-typical, non-human/mixed-human and non-beast races.

• Like 1

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

Picked "A little beastly" and checked Bull-ish, Aquatic, Werebeasts, Scalies and Undead.

Undead could be particularly interesting as I can't think of any games where this has been explored without it becoming the main theme of the game (VtM: Redemption/Bloodlines) or a major choice that would make most groups in the game treat you/your faction with massive distrust, disgust or even outright aggression (WoW's Forsaken race comes to mind).

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

Insectoids and those Alien creatures from which pictures have been posted look too non human to be relatable. The creators of the mass effect franchise did the right thing in making the flying jelly fish and the quadrupedal monotone speakers with large noses unplayable even though they brought interesting dialogue.

But think of it this way guys, if the proposed Alien like playable character doesn't have the same number of arms and legs, heads and relative chest type, it will pull funds away from other parts of the game, perhaps the plot or combat mechanics, for the effort of creating armor/weapon pieces that are compatible with this race. Everything in the second poll except for the Insectoids and probably the shorter folk will be able to follow the same armor/weaponry conventions and would thus probably be a lot cheaper to fund. Most of these other races in the second poll are more than just a color pallete swap. Wouldn't you guys be satisfied if the beastly races/bearmen/scaled/minotaurish creatures, has decidedly inhuman facial features or had additions to them such as claws/tails/fur and/or scales instead of just the head of a creature on a color swapped human's body?

• Like 1