UI Stuff that you'd like to see

UI stuff that I don't want to see - radial menus like in PST or ToEE. Can't stand them.

To be fair, it was optional in PS:T. You could remap keyboard shortcuts for all the functions and not open it ever, if you didn't like it. I know I breathed a sigh of relief when all thief skills got assigned to keys and I could pickpocket people with a single key press. Icewind Dale 2 may not have been the perfect UI, but it introduced a lot of interesting elements, like a number of preset weapon (or weapon/shield) combinations that could be cycled easily.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Inpretty much agree with most what have been said here.

Another thing I can think of now is that some games present popups in the center of the screen. That seems ok, and is very much OK except when the "Ok" "Cancel" "Whatever" buttons are at the very bottom of the screen! The buttons should be a few pixels below the last word in the popup (and tying "enter" to "Ok" and "Esc" to "cancel" should also be a given).

Scale-able UI, text and HUD elements that can be moved around. Lots of shortcuts. And I'm certain we won't see Skyrim like list menus.

I think adding macros like shortcuts would be ideal, especially if one likes the real time combat part more than the pause.

If not mentioned previously:

1. The ability to easily enter in the number of items to move via keyboard rather than pressing the up or down tab.

- In the BG games you can enter the number but only after carefully putting your cursor into the small text box and then pressing it a few times to activate it b/c the first time never works).

- Same goes for buying and selling equipment in the store

2. larger stacks than in the IE games (seriously 20 arrows in a bundle?)

3. If crafting is going to be a feature, a cleaner UI/ mechanism than F:NV where you had to go back original crafting station and start the menu again after making only one item)

Cheers

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

- clearly described effects (instead of "Improved chance of stun" -> "+3% chance to stun", instead of "Throws a fireball and burns your enemy for a while after" -> "Throws a fireball that does 100 base damage + 50% damage per level, 15 base damage + 10% damage per level for 3 seconds, Range: 10 meters, AoE: 2.1 meters") or something like that

I am 100% behind this ability. One of the things I HATE about the Dragon Age series (and I should go down to Bioware's forums and make an irate post about it RIGHT NOW before I forget) is that you have NO IDEA about the numerical functionality of an ability until a.) you spend a point on it and b.) you try it out. Abilities that sound kinda mediocre (mana clash) sometimes turn out to be unspeakably powerful, whereas abilities that sound powerful (curse of mortality) and ARE when enemies use them on YOU, turn out to be crap. The debuffs are the worst--you have no idea how much they actually debuff, and since most of this kind of stuff in the game hovers around 10%, the effects are UNDETECTABLE. So you never use them.

I don't care if the formulas make people's eyes bug out, LET US SEE THEM so we have a shot at judging whether we'll like an ability before we pick it up. That, and we'll also have a more accurate idea of how to get the most out of it.

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

I feel this poll is very flawed. Our only options are an 11 year old UI that wastes lots of space, or a 10 year old UI that's rather ugly?

How about a modern UI that is minimal, functional, and attractive?

How about we let Obsidian come up with a UI idea or two, and then we can talk about what we like or don't like about it?

I don't care if the formulas make people's eyes bug out, LET US SEE THEM so we have a shot at judging whether we'll like an ability before we pick it up. That, and we'll also have a more accurate idea of how to get the most out of it.

D3 did this well, where you can toggle to have just the description text or the specific numbers behind the text.

The UI will be good, it Project Eternity does not have a console version to sell it's soul to.

The only major thing I want with the UI is for players to be able to mod it. That way players that want a BG I & II UI clone can make it themselves, those that want unobtrusive minimalist interface can mod it to be like that.

I feel this poll is very flawed. Our only options are an 11 year old UI that wastes lots of space, or a 10 year old UI that's rather ugly?

How about a modern UI that is minimal, functional, and attractive?

How about we let Obsidian come up with a UI idea or two, and then we can talk about what we like or don't like about it?

D3 did this well, where you can toggle to have just the description text or the specific numbers behind the text.

erm, it's not a poll ? :ban: on the d3 system - precisely. great for those who really want to make some calculation, great for those that don't take too much interest in it :)

Edited by cealicu_ca

"Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain."

- Isaak Yudovich Ozimov

UI stuff that I'd like to see: GAME_UI.XML

This man speaks the truth.

On another subject,

I made this mockup due to a discussion at another thread, but it fits perfectly here due to its nature.

G8mTH.jpg

What do you think if we had a dialog interface like this, where the player is spoiled with delicious artwork?

Temple of Elemental Evil had the most beautifully made and perfectly optimised UI. Something akin to that would be more than enough.

On the other hand, since the title will be PC-exclusive, placing a strong emphasis on key-shortcuts can go a long way towards a visually "clean", nearly non-existing UI.

ToEE had horrible UI. Radial menus can suck my ****.

UI stuff that I'd like to see: GAME_UI.XML

This man speaks the truth.

On another subject,

I made this mockup due to a discussion at another thread, but it fits perfectly here due to its nature.

What do you think if we had a dialog interface like this, where the player is spoiled with delicious artwork?

Have you played the IE games? Characters enter scenes, move, maybe even performs actions (attack, drink potion) etc during dialogues. A full-screen dialogue screen would just be in the way.

That said, I would love sizable portraits of NPCs during dialogue.

ToEE had horrible UI. Radial menus can suck my ****.

I disagree.

The only problem with ToEE's UI was that the keyboard shortcuts didn't always work (due to bugs).

Have you played the IE games? Characters enter scenes, move, maybe even performs actions (attack, drink potion) etc during dialogues. A full-screen dialogue screen would just be in the way.

That said, I would love sizable portraits of NPCs during dialogue.

Yes, but a long time ago.

I have forgotten about that. I had the idea that "time" paused during dialog.

Edited by hideo kuze

I expect an UI where we'll be able to display and select a lot of UI elements without having to scroll down (or left, or right, or up), like it happens nowadays with console games (even skyrim, for example, without the modded UI).

Also, please make interface and text size appropriate depending on the resolution: there are more and more users now with a 24" inch monitor, don't ruin our poor eyes :)

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" - Wing Commander IV