Mormons

Humodour

Like Scientology really but with a few hundred more years to lend patina and credence to it.

That's really the way all religions go though. Religions adapt or die out, just like everything. Speaking of adapting, I thought this was fascinating:

http://news.yahoo.com/final-interview-cardinal-says-church-200-years-date-190009537.html

I'm expecting some more progressive movements in the Catholic Church in the next decade or so, and I would be surprised if the next Pope is as conservative as Pope Benedict.

This is also a reason I think folks who call Islam inherently violent are shortsighted. Islam is going through the exact same conflict that Christianity did at almost the same point in their histories. Call it the 1500 year itch.

I remember being 20 at my parents house, and having a pair of missionaries come through and try to convince me that the Feathered Serpent of the Aztecs (don't ask me to spell the bloody thing) was actually a Prophet, and that was to explain why there was no Prophet after Jesus/Mohammed and then Joseph Smith.

Also, I've found that there are really two types of Mormons (although, this is based on my high school experience with a LARGE LDS community). The hyper conservative type who won't even so much as think an unpure thought, go to church at 5 am for bible study, and pray for marriage in Temple... and those that basically flaunt it all.

The strangest part for me, is that apparently the Mormon "heaven" is the man becoming a God of another planet, while his wife gives birth to every living thing there. And to get to that point, they have to have had 5(?) kids with no schizophrenics (because Schitzo doesn't count towards the baby number)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Islam is charged by a violent political climate though. It's nationalist tension much like that witnessed between India and Pakistan for a century already.

It's much more about Israli settlers claiming more land every day than about literal interpretations of the Koran.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I'm expecting some more progressive movements in the Catholic Church in the next decade or so, and I would be surprised if the next Pope is as conservative as Pope Benedict.

The "Panzer Pope" ;)

Funny if you think about it, but the Catholics were amongst the first heretics, breaking away from the original/traditional Christian church.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Islam is charged by a violent political climate though. It's nationalist tension much like that witnessed between India and Pakistan for a century already.

It's much more about Israli settlers claiming more land every day than about literal interpretations of the Koran.

Which doesn't really make it any different than Europe in the Middle Ages.

I thought it was like 7 kids to get into the celestial kingdom?

Wait, you're telling me these people are OUTBREEDING us? I hope the rate of conversion to atheism per family is higher than the birth rate!

I know you are joking around, but atheism is never going to win the numbers game here. The main problem is it doesn't offer any support network. Who does an atheist turn to when times are tough? People want that sense of community, and that seems to be the antithesis of atheism.

Wait, you're telling me these people are OUTBREEDING us? I hope the rate of conversion to atheism per family is higher than the birth rate!

I know you are joking around, but atheism is never going to win the numbers game here. The main problem is it doesn't offer any support network. Who does an atheist turn to when times are tough? People want that sense of community, and that seems to be the antithesis of atheism.

Errr, family and friends like everyone else?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well, if they're anything like the ones online, I can see them losing the breeding game - who'd want to mate with jerks :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Errr, family and friends like everyone else?

Clearly you haven't met my family :p

The numbers still don't look all that good for atheism, even in a country like France, only 30% claim no beliefs at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism

Also, atheism is predominantly a young man's game. It's easy to claim there is no God in your 20's, but when you start wrestling with your own mortality, the church offers quite a bit of comfort.

Maybe once science can figure out eternal life or cryogenic freezing, we'll see a big uptick in atheism.

Well, if they're anything like the ones online, I can see them losing the breeding game - who'd want to mate with jerks :p

I met some young Mormon missionaries a few years ago, actually, and they were quite lovely. We had a very nice conversation until they started going on about Joseph Smith. I didn't give them my number.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Well meant athiests. If you want a good laugh read the athiesm subreddit.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I maintain that there is a significant margin for error when asking people if they believe or not. Most people will say yes if they were raised that way, but spend no time thinking about the implications. It's more belonging in a club than believing in God, the devil and paradise. They need the pagentry of the church for weddings and funerals, they may even have turned to prayer in some moment of personal crists only to forget all about it when it passed.

Does that really count.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

It's a good question.

My opinion is that as long as people are turning to religion for the major moments in their lives, it will be relevant. It has been that way for the entire known history of man, so I am not holding my breath that it will change.

That isn't to say religion cannot change. It has done so tremendously. The atheist movement would be much better served abandoning any attempt at getting rid of organized religion and focus more on working to change it.

I maintain that there is a significant margin for error when asking people if they believe or not. Most people will say yes if they were raised that way, but spend no time thinking about the implications. It's more belonging in a club than believing in God, the devil and paradise. They need the pagentry of the church for weddings and funerals, they may even have turned to prayer in some moment of personal crists only to forget all about it when it passed.

Does that really count.

I don't think faith requires you to think about it at regular intervals.

Of course, that's also a matter of belief. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Sure, but can you belong in the believer group without actually believing as much as simply going with the flow.

I've never met anyone that attends church regularly but doesn't really believe in God. It seems like it would be a waste of time.